“Rude owners ripped us off.”
Review of Bayside RV Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valdez
Bayside RV Park
Wasilla, Alaska
“Rude owners ripped us off.”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

First off, I am a resident of Alaska and spend lots of time traveling the state in my RV. I would normally not write a negative review on any business but my experience with Bayside today was without question the worst experience that I have ever had at any business. Myself and a group of friends (3 RV's total) called and made reservations for this park after a day of fishing on the Klutina River. We told the person we spoke to that we would not be in until late that night and needed three sites. She asked that we check in the next day and we informed her that we had a halibut charter at 0430 the next morning but would register as soon as we could and gave her all of our information. The park was very nice, full hookups a bonus and clean restrooms/showers. It really fit everything we wanted until we had to deal with the owners. The day after we arrived my wife and mother-in-law checked in and paid for our two sites while the rest of us took two charters for halibut. One of our sites did not check in the next day because they all left on a charter at 0430 and the office was closed. After a 14 hour trip we all returned to the campground and the group of four was asked to check in before they closed at 2200 hours, this was at 2145 hours. They told them that they would try and make it but they were very busy processing the catch of the day. Unfortunately they did not get registered that night, I realize that this was not acceptable to the campground owners and should have been taken care of by my friends earlier but circumstances just did not allow this to be addressed promptly. Well the next morning as we were packing to leave for Wasilla the owner of the campground went to one of my friends that failed to check in and completely harassed him accusing him of being a deadbeat and threatening to call the police and report his plate number. My friend then went to the office where one of the campground employees apologized profusely for the attitude and behavior of the owner. He paid them in cash for the campsite and got a signed receipt for the camp fees. My friends then left without telling the rest of us about the issue with the owner. Around an hour after they left Valdez the wife of the campground owner came to our site asking why we did not pay for the site my friends occupied and why they did not register the day before. Eight of us stood there and explained that we did not know they had left without paying the fee and explained to her the situation with the charter trip and their failure to properly register quickly. I then asked my wife to go to the office and pay for my friends site so this lady would just shut up and leave us alone...this after 15 minutes of babble. It was at this time that she asked us if we knew a John Smith from Nashville and stated that he had paid for the site in question by accident and wanted his money back. needless to say this was just a little confusing as we had no-one named John Smith with us and due to poor cellphone coverage between Valdez and Wasilla we could not contact the other group that had already left.
Again we paid for the site in question on my credit card and left. Once we got to Glenallen I was able to talk to my friends who left earlier. They told me the story of being harassed by the owner and threatened. My friend stated that he paid but refused to give them his real name and address because he feared being harassed by the owner hence he gave the name John Smith, Nashville TN. Well upon hearing this I called Bayside and explained to the owner's wife the situation and asked why she collected payment from us on the site in question when she had already gotten paid cash for the site. She then went into a shouting tirade stating that all they wanted was to get paid. When I tried to explain to her that she did get paid not only once but twice for the same site she went ballistic telling me that all they wanted was to get paid....after about 15 minutes on the phone being cordial asking for a simple refund for a site that we paid for twice and having this owner deny any refund and insult me I lost it. For the first time in 15 years I came unglued on this woman. It is only $82.00 or so and I was so mad I wanted to turn around and drive back the 150 miles to Valdez and dump my black water tank on their front porch! Everyone that was on this trip with me are business owners....we spend thousands to travel around the world and Alaska, being my home was a place that I wanted to bring them this year. Unfortunately the experience with Bayside really put a sad note on the end of a nice vacation. These people have a nice place to promote, the facilities are nice and clean but the owners have no business being in any position where they have to deal with the public. To say I was disappointed in my fellow Alaskans is an understatement. Again these owners do not deserve to be in business. They charged me for my friends site knowing full well that they had already been paid for the site in cash. We have a receipt from them to prove it, and when presented with the facts the owners become defensive, abusive and absolutely refuse to issue a refund to my credit card. Do not come to Bayside go across the street, it is not possible to be treated any worse then by these people.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank alaskadave2969
Kim B, Owner at Bayside RV Park, responded to this review, 30 May 2015
Dear Sir-

We would like to let you know that Bayside has changed ownership as of 2014. We are terribly sorry for your previous experience and would welcome the opportunity to provide you, your family and friends with nothing less than a great experience at Bayside!

As Alaskans ourselves, we understand the passion to share our beautiful state with others and our Park is representation of that passion.

Should you return to Valdez, we would certainly appreciate the opportunity to share all the new and wonderful things here...most importantly the excellent customer service and passion to provide on the very best experience for each and every guest.

Rich and Kim
Bayside RV Park and Campground

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Good owner and good location. Very clean restrooms.
Really a value for money and free wi fi too.
The owner also feed eagles in evening which is an event itself for nice photo shoots.
I found them better than other area as rate of other places were high compare to this one and this is right on a nice location of valdez.
Highly recommend and will stay here again and also recommend the chat with owner, she is a great lady!
Cheer

Room Tip: All well and good. I did not find anything strange.