“Last resort”

Glacier Hotel
Glacier Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed here in Aug 2012 because we were coming for a wedding and there was no rooms anywhere due to a music festival. Checking in was ok, nothing notable. Saying the room is dated is an understatement. White mold spots on the carpet, mildew on the bathroom ceiling, mattresses are anything but good, bathroom flooring is peeling back. There is a fairly new fridge and microwave which are always nice to have in a hotel room.
The shower pressure is crazy, there is no way to adjust it and it could just about bruise you. Water sprays everywhere, the bathroom gets soaked and everything in it. The fan sounds like it is about to take off.
And lastly the fire alarm went off for like 5 min at 5am. By the time I woke everyone up to get out of there the thing stopped. Overall I would not stay here unless you really have to.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank samanthal_15

Reviewed 17 August 2008

Ok.... for $99 a night, in a tiny town... i sort of expected this hotel is going to be kind of scary, and I was totally right.

First, at arrival, the exterior was totally unwelcoming. There's a bar attached to the hotel with guys smoking outside. They gawked at us like they have never seen tourists.......

The lobby is same. Smells like the bar.

The room: surprisingly don't smell bad. The bathroom is ok clean. The toilet isn't. The bed is horrible. The springs poked into my back every night. I found a used syringe in the night stand drawer. That was what made me wanted to switch to another hotel the next day.

But unfortunately, every hotel in town was fully booked. Totem Inn next door has a cottage. For $189, I checked it out.... it's a little cleaner but the bed still sucks. So I decided it's not worth the trouble and just enjoy the stay as much as i can.

So in conclusion, you get what you paid for. I think most of the hotels in Valdez is about the same quality. The Best Western next to the port "may" be a little better (from the outside) but it's hard to get a room there as it's booked by all the tour groups.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MCTAI
Reviewed 17 July 2008

We just returned from a stay in Valez AK at the Glacier Inn. The hotel was advertised as newly remodeled, having a resturant, hair dryers and coffee makers in rooms. The location of the hotel in relation to the city of Valdez was great but the hotel itself needs work. Very low end and the cost of the rooms were much more than they should have been based on their condition and the condition of the hotel. Rooms were clean but smelled musty, beds comfortable for the most part. There was no resturant operating at the hotel as advertised, no hair dryers in the rooms as advertised and when we asked for one they said they only had two and one had a short in it. Coffee makers were supposed to be in the rooms as well but were not. When we asked for one we got it but it was dirty, had not been washed. The windows in the rooms were crankouts and the baseboard around the windows were rotting away and loose.
Our reservations were inaccurate. They had only 1 room for 1 night and it should have been 2 nights. Clerk had to "juggle" things in order to make sure we had a room for both nights. This occurred on our reservation and the reservation of the couple traveling with us.
Overall we were very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2008

My husband and I booked a double room after first checking the hotel's website (www.glaciersoundinnvaldez.com) . The photos on that site are very misleading. The hotel has no rooms that come close to the photos used there. It has no ambience at all. It was relatively cheap and the rooms were very basic and clean. However, between the misleading website, and then a shower that only produced lukewarm water.... Well. for me, that was the fatal flaw.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AKWoman
Reviewed 3 February 2008

In the middle of the summer, accommodations in Valdez are very limited so we were glad we got this place as the Best Western was much more expensive. The rooms were spartan but clean and it was nice having a refrigerator. The staff was very helpful. The "continental breakfast" is not worth your time. Go up the street only a block or two on the same side of the road as the hotel for a great breakfast. Also, you can forget the Mexican restaurant up the street---its bad. Valdez is beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JLDCA
Reviewed 16 August 2006

My husband, four kids, and my father-in-law stayed here for three nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were nicely made up (ours didn't smell musty, but the window was open when we got in there). My only complaints were, that even though the bar is separated from the rooms, the public rest room for the bar was located in the same hallway as the rooms. As a result the patrons of the bar were wandering back and forth through the lobby at all hours of the night. Another thing was that the rooms don't contain a thermostat and if we weren't wrapped in blankets, we froze all night. Also, our bathroom was growing mildew abundantly down the wall behond the toilet and in the creases of the shower curtain. I guess housekeeping hasn't been very thourough. I should mention that my father-in-law, in his own room, said his bathroom was very clean, but that he was a little cold too. Other than that, it's a good hotel for the price, and is located centrally in town within walking distance of all the attractions Valdez has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank alaskatraveller
Reviewed 21 July 2006

We stayed here 2 nights. After one of the best car rides of my life from Wasilla to Valdez we entered the city and arrived at the hotel.Quite Frankly when I saw it and walked into the Lobby, I was beginning to wonder if I made a good choice since I made the reservations through Expedia(it needed paint). The Clerk said our reservations were messed up but said that was no problem and he was also very helpful.Our room was old and smelled a bit musty but the outside temperature was cool and all we did was open the window. It helped out with the smell.. All the way open is high halfway is medium and slightly open was low. The AC worked perfectly. We chilled out in Vadez, so we spent 2 nights here. They also had a breakfast, The morning lady clerk was extremely friendly and talkative and we actually decided that we like the Glacier Sound Inn mostly because of the staff and it's location.. If they still have the same staff we'd stay there again.There is a bar and a restaurant.. The Bar was seperated from the rooms so we weren't bothered by it.. I recommend this place if you want to save a few bucks and you aren't too picky.. It was OK by me..

Unique Qualities: Smack dab in the center of town directly across from the museum.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family