“Good Food. Service Lacking.”
Review of Totem Inn Restaurant - CLOSED

Totem Inn Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I had the Alaskan King Crab, which was good but quite expensive at $53 a pound. I think I can get it cheaper here in Vermont, and the stuff is caught there in Alaska. Go figure.

My girlfriend had a chicken dish that was satisfactory.

The waiter didn't bother asking me whether I wanted more butter for my crab or more iced tea. I wasn't impressed, especially when I ordered a rather pricey dish. Either he wasn't trained on how to be an attentive waiter, or he just didn't care. I'd like to think it was a training issue because the restaurant appeared to have a relatively young staff.

The restaurant had sold out of most of its pies by 9 p.m., which was disappointing. If you want pie, go early.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

There are not many places to eat in Valdez, and we stumbled (exhausted) into the Totem Inn late one evening. We were pleasantly surprised by the food--quite good. We ended up have 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners there, and all were fine. Service was on the slower side, but things run on Alaska time in Valdez.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

New rooms are actually very nice. Suites are much less expensive than Mountain Sky. Nice flat screen TV's.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

My granddaughter and I come up to Valdez to work in the summer, have eaten at almost everywhere in town, by far Totem is the best, anything from burgers to crab legs, friendly servers and my two favorites, Nick and Hannah.

1  Thank Arkansas149
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Had a great steak and was provided with excellent service by our server Hannah . Highly recommend the "Totem" ...

1  Thank Ed W