“The place to stay in Valdez, AK”

Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania
“The place to stay in Valdez, AK”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times and I find it to be comfortable, accommodating, clean, neat and the best view in Valdez, AK. When I come to Alaska, I have the opportunity to stay anywhere I choose and yet, I always go to the BW Harbor Inn. The restaurant and the bar have great food and what a view. The little otter that swims in the harbor in somewhat of a celebrity. Each year I look forward to seeing him and the many bald eagles that fly by. The managers care about their guests and are always available to answer questions and/or concerns. Thanks for another great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms overlooking the harbor -
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
BWValdezHarborInn, General Manager at Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
My staff and I would like to Thank you we are glad you that we were able to make
Your stay an enjoyable experience. Hope to see you again.
Scott Malone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Located on the waterfront with a great view and easy excess to all to see in Valdez. Clean quite rooms free breakfast and friendly staff, who could ask for more. Great restaurant and lounge.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2012

For some reason I though Valdez would have more to see/do. Anyway, I stayed here and room was decent, nothing fancy. We were on the first floor and you do hear some noise above. Also, I don't get why some people talk in hallways late at night and slam doors but whatever, it was okay. We were taking the Stan Stephens tour so we just had to walk outside of the lobby and boom, we were there.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank proftravlr
Whitehorse, Yukon
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We opted to take our dog with us on this trip and booked this hotel because pets were permitted. We were disappointed (but not suprised) to be moved to a smoking room when we indicated that we had a dog with us. After seeing how some people do not control their pets, I do understand, but it was a major assult to our senses to step into the room each time - as non-smokers, it was pretty rank.
The room was clean and updated (granite counter, nice mattresses - but double bed rather than queen that we had booked). The hotel is only 2 story, we didn't have a view of the harbour but were close to the exit so it was easy to get in and out. Room had a fridge and microwave - handy because the restaraunt was very pricy. Breakfast is included in room cost - some hot options like scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuts and gravy in addition to yogurt, cereal, etc. Some days when tour buses are in town there is a real rush at breakfast - overflow into the hallway - but staff were great and kept up with everything very well.
Housekeeping was the only deficiency - staff arrived when we were in the room and we indicated we were on the way out in a minute or two - they never came back so room was not cleaned. We had enough soap and shampoo - so not an issue, we just took out our own garbage - but not the best service there. I am sure they would have done it if we had called the front desk to complain, but we didn't bother.
We would stay here again - considered it average - staff were certainly very nice to us. They did waive the pet fee ($10 a night) for us (we didn't expect this or ask for it) because they had changed our room from what we had reserved - there is no pet room option on the on-line reservation system.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank muklukmary
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 19 April 2012 via mobile

I am a salesman from Anchorage and stay here at least six times a year. It is the best place in Valdez. Civic center is accross the street. It is clean and service is great. The restaurant can be expensive so just eat in the bar it is delicious. Get a view room!

Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Clydecarey
BWValdezHarborInn, General Manager at Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
My staff and I THANK YOU for choosing us for your stay and for your kind words we hope to see you again.
Wasilla, Alaska
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Valdez Harbor Inn was comfortable, accomodating, and probably had a view of the harbor, although with several feet of snow it was hard to visualize what the town actually looks like. The only thing missing was a night light in the room, which would be a nice addition for people who forget to bring one.

Room Tip: Really appreciated being able to pay extra to let our dog stay in the room with us.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank chucksallybo
BWValdezHarborInn, General Manager at Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Thank you for your comments and I will look into night lights.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I would never stay at this hotel nor will I ever recommend it to anyone.

I took a road trip thru Alaska's back country. I thought that staying in a franchise hotel would guarantee better quality than a B&B or different hotel. Boy, was I wrong. I asked for a non-smoking room but was placed in a room that stunk of cigarette smoke and wet dog. I couldn't believe they were full and couldn't place me in a different room. For almost $200 per night, I couldn't believe it.

I can't believe that other people actually gave this place more than 3stars. The lobby smells musty and is uninviting. The frontdesk was not friendly or helpful. The knickknacks were fun to look at but that was it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank lighttraveler206
BWValdezHarborInn, General Manager at Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I would like to be able to correct this but I have no information to go on. We are very busy at this time of year. If you would call my Hotel I will be very happy to find out what actually transpired.

Travellers are raving about these Valdez hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Totem Hotel & Suites
#2 of 14 in Valdez
Alaska Copper River B&B
Alaska Copper River B&B
#1 of 5 in Glennallen

Been to Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!