“Good Place”

Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Good location close to town and main road. Clean good beds and amenities and breakfast was included. They had laundry facilities $3 a load and a very small pool. Great big main breakfast area overlooked the docks and had a nice view of the mountains. Our room on the second floor overlooked the coast guard inlet and had a great view of the mountains. We even saw a sea otter in the inlet. The restaurant in the hotel was fine. We had a fish and chips 2 burger and fries ran us about $50. Most of the service staff were nice. I would stay there again but would recommend a thai take out place a block away where Alaskans line up around the block to get some thai take out food.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Frotripping
BWValdezHarborInn, General Manager at Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

My staff and I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for you traveling needs. We hope to be able to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

The floors are creaky, the rooms are small, in winter the car park is a skating ring or a slushy mess but it's Valdez. This hotel in a very loud way says "Welcome to Alaska" from the little Glacier Bear in the lobby to the wooded construction and the view it is surely an Alaskan place to stay. The "harbor" view offer the entertainment of watching otters eat and play beneath some of the prettiest mountains I have seen. The restaurant is hit and miss and quite expensive for what you get so I usually take a short walk to a little pizza place which is just across the road and down towards the road you come in on. Valdez gets a lot of snow so in winter the car park is either a skating ring or a bumpy slushy mess so if you are driving a 2 wheel drive car be very careful!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Checked in early which was nice as I was on business and had to work the night shift. I told the staff and requested a quiet room. I got to my room which was right next to housekeeping, the ice machine and the side door. I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. Once I settle in my room I went into the bathroom and smelled a really strong glue-like smell. I figured something was recently repaired and it would go away. It did not, in fact it got worse. It was very toxic smelling and permeated into the bedroom by the next day. My second day of sleeping I was awoken by the vacuum cleaner right outside my door and the wall vibrating from the washing machine. I felt sick from the fumes and reported it to the front desk. They said they would look into it for me. Unfortunately I am not inclined to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Great price/service Located in center of town, right on water. great breakfast, quiet. Very helpful staff. Definatley will stay there again. I would also recommend this hotel to anyone that is going to stay in Valdez.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Peter L

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the rooms at this hotel. Everything seemed to be recently updated. Nice bedding and towels, microwave and fridge. The included breakfast was very generous, lots of options. We also ate dinner in their restaurant. Pricey but delicious

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Jltho

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We arrived later in the evening and were pleasantly surprised. The room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was included in the price. You can walk to all the little shops and restaurants. I would definitely book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the parking lot which was convenient for us to pull the car up and unload o...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We enjoyed our stay here and had a room with a partial view of the harbor and the mountains. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The staff were very pleasant but did not offer any help with facilitating alternative arrangements when our ferry was cancelled. I was surprised that one Best Western Hotel was unwilling to contact another when one of their (overseas) guests was clearly in trouble! The lady receptionist seemed to have no knowledge of how the payphone worked with regard to long distance calls - there was no visible card or coin slot.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple