“Fair hotel for a fair price”
Review of Keystone Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Valdez
Keystone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
RANDOLPH
“Fair hotel for a fair price”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

After reviewing hotels in Valdez we opted for the Keystone. About half the price of the chain hotel in town. We got off the ferry and they Keystone was right around the corner. The hotel appears to have been a old dormitory from the Oil boom days. Odd layout but the rooms were clean, the bed was Ok and that is what was important. The girl at the desk was very helpful when we wanted to change our room.

1 Thank EDWARD M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Wasilla, Alaska
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Refurbished Atco trailers. Clean but not comfortable. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water for showers. No elevator so you do need to hall your own luggage. Fine for 1 night to get out of the weather. If the other hotels weren't full we would not have stayed there.

Room Tip: Walls are paper thin, best to have a room on top floor on an outer wall so you only have neighbors o...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mariellen H
Fairfield, California
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed one night at the Keystone Hotel after travelling from Seward to Whittier and catching the ferry through Prince William Sound. This was part of a G Adventures tour. The Keystone is an older place constructed with metal looking walls. Some people compare it to shipping containers. Our room is small, but fine. Best of all - we have our very own toilet and shower. (We had been sharing bathrooms the last two nights.)

The room had two small beds, very thin walls and a bit of a detergent aroma. You can also hear the water pipes when anyone uses the sink. Oh well. Like I said -- at least we had our own bathroom! Fortunately I brought earplugs.

We ate dinner at Oldtown Burgers. This was very casual with picnic tables inside. My Lonely Planet book mentioned homemade curly fries, so I had those and a cheeseburger. OMG. Best burger and fries in Alaska so far! I ordered mine well done, and it was still moist and tasty, as was the bun. So glad we came here -- a must if I return to Valdez.

Breakfast was included at the Keystone. They offer packaged pastries (like muffins and cinnamon rolls) along with toast, juice and stuff. Nothing too exciting. I should have gotten up early to check out the local bakery.

All in all, the Keystone was fine and I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pinders
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed 2 nights with husband, baby, and our dog. The hotel and room feel a bit like a 1970s trailer, but seemed pretty clean. Rooms are small, just double bed and twin bed pushed against the walls with just enough space to open the small door and get in, also had a small desk and dresser/TV. Still had enough room to shove in the pack n play and the dog bed though it was very cramped! The shower and bathroom were clean and more modern and had nice hot water with good pressure which was great on a rainy, chilly day! The room got very hot, but we were able to open a window and let in some cool air and that helped some, just too many things in a small space. Check in people were nice and worked with us to change our reservation twice. With a car we were easy driving distance from everything, and Valdez isn't small so you could probably walk anyway. The surrounding area is more industrial feeling. It seemed a little expensive for the size and condition of the room, but I think that is probably just Alaska prices. It does include "breakfast" of coffee, cereal, and pre-packaged muffins and danishes. They also have paid laundry room on site. Definitely not the greatest hotel, but had the bare necessities and we didn't come home with bugs.

Room Tip: sounds like they may have bigger beds but you'll need to specify queen or king during reservatio...
1 Thank Fran B
knoxville, tn
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I'm not sure what information I found to decide to stay here but I wish we had stayed elsewhere. They are dog friendly so that was possibly the reason but our room was about as far from the lobby as you could get. I could have sworn that I had booked the only king room (could have been an issue with my travel agent) but the first room was only a full and already had somebody in it. She had given us the wrong key, luckily we didn't walk in on anybody :) When we were "upgraded" to a queen bed I was happier that the room was a tad bigger but had to climb up 2 flights of stairs, and down 2 hallways to the very end. Even though we were at the end near the stairs, they could not be used for outside access and had fire alarms on them. Having to haul the dogs, crate, luggage etc that far was inconvenient but we preferred the bigger bed. The rooms are so small that the bed was against the wall, which meant that getting in and out was certainly not easy. The room was clean enough and the bathroom was pretty nice considering the size of the room. My biggest problem was that there wasn't any thermostat in the room! When I called about it I was told that they maintain a regular temperature and that we could go get a fan at the desk. My boyfriend did this when he went to walk the dogs and it was a small clip on fan. Plus the windows did not open which made me a bit nervous. Having the option to open a screened window would have allowed plenty of cool night air to be comfortable. We didn't have the breakfast but it looked fine with several cereal choices, not sure what else they were to provide since we left at 4:30am to catch the ferry to Whittier. We ate at the Totem Inn which the front office person recommended and it was good, nothing fantastic but the waitress was very good. If we were looking for a hotel in Valdez again, I would definitely stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: I would suggest looking at your room before agreeing to stay there.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tnkat
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 13 July 2014

yes, it is dated but the room (small) was very clean. The shower is great, the people friendly and the price was right! rooms have doubles bed, twin bed and tube TV with cable. continental breakfast included.

Room Tip: First floor is accessible and cooler
1 Thank Rennfam
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Valdez is pretty notorious for being rainy, on this particular day it was warm, 70s warm. Combine that with humidity and a 2nd floor room and this is something I'm not used to! Asked for a fan, to their defense they were all loaned out, but it was a small desk fan. First night didn't sleep too well due to this. However, because the 2nd night was cooler outside, it was a much better nights sleep. Go into the expectation that a lot of what you'll see is old. Wood paneling from the 80s, cheap carpet and all. But, the one thing that I loved about this place is the shower pressure, and how hot it gets. Make sure to get back to parking quick for a good spot, for the lot seems just barely enough to fit enough cars for how many rooms. When it boils down to it, it's a cheap stay, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank keengabber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
#1 of 14 in Valdez
Mountain Sky Hotel
Mountain Sky Hotel
#4 of 5 in Valdez

Been to Keystone Hotel? Share your experiences!