“someone had a heart”

Totem Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had planned on staying in a cheaper motel, but that went bad. I explained the situation to them and they gave us all that was available-a suite- at base room rates, it even had a washer and dryer in room. They saved our trip to Valdez

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank othtraveler2
There are newer reviews for Totem Hotel & Suites

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Not very happy. Made a rez 6 months ago for a cabin. When we arrived was told it was not available but would upgrade to a suite. Put us on second floor w/no elevator. I have a sprained ankle and we have a dog that needs to go out during the night. Accomodations nice but not what we wanted.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank AlaskaVans
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We have come here for breakfast every morning we were in Valdez. The staff is amazing, very friendly & attentive. The food is top notch.
The totem Benedict was awesome. Lots of variety on the menu. Also great pancakes.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were in Valdez for two days and ate at the Totem Inn twice. Both times we had dinner. My husband had the halibut and I had the shrimp the first night. The portions were wonderful and the service from Jimmy was excellent. The second night we both had Prime Rib dinners. Excellent cut of meat and portions again were wonderful. Our server Hannah, was wonderful. I would do it again :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sue L
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I was surprised how large this suite was; more like a 1-bedroom apartment. It had a full kitchen, with more cabinets than you would ever need for a short-stay suite, and a living room separate from the bedroom, with a 2nd TV. The bed was a bit squishy, but that's my only complaint. Our room, on the south side, had a fantastic view of the nearby mountain peaks and some view of the harbor. Staff was very friendly and nice.

Room Tip: Second floor suites have the best views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 207LisaF
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed two nights in the Totem Inn and found it very comfortable. Upon arrival I was wondering what we were in for because it looked so old, but we stayed in the newer Chugach Suites, located behind the restaurant and check in area. The suite we were in was spacious, cozy and very comfortable, with lounge and a well equipped kitchen which allowed us to self cater after a trip to the local supermarket. Much to my delight we also had a washing machine and dryer which was subjected to a good workout. Being a couple of weeks into a 12 week road trip it was so convenient to be able to get the laundry done without having to go in search of a laundromat. The suite was clean and well maintained - we had everything we needed and it was a pleasure to come back to at the end of the day. Overall our experience was a positive one and I would stay in the Chugach Suites again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I was in Valdez for a night on my way home from working at a remote hatchery in the sound. Unfortunately, the Best Western was sold out, and I had to stay at this place. Upon arrival, the front desk staff was rude, unattentive, and everyone seemed like they would rather be anywhere but at work. The room wasn't bad - old and outdated, but clean at least... which is all I care about! The next day my flight from Valdez didn't leave until 4pm, so I wanted to stay in the hotel room until check-out time at 11am. At 10:55, as I was putting on my backpack and gathering my things, a housekeeper came into my room and told me I had to leave. Um... hello?? It wasn't even 11, and she could clearly see I was getting ready to vacate the room. It was really unprofessional and horribly off-putting. I then decided to eat some food before I took a cab to the airport. It was 11, so I decided to get a cheeseburger and fries. Gross! It was soaked in grease and very unappetizing. I'm certainly not expecting something healthy when I order a burger and fries, but this meal was made from low-quality ingredients and was pretty inedible.
For the staff alone, I would never stay at this hotel again. Especially when I paid about $200 for the night.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Vailsnow87
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
#1 of 5 in Glennallen
Mountain Sky Hotel
Mountain Sky Hotel
#4 of 5 in Valdez

Been to Totem Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!