“Very nice room with kitchen in beautiful Valdez”

Totem Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I stayed two nights at Totem Inn at the beginning of a 10 day Alaskan road trip at the end of June. Our experience was very good from start to end. We stayed in a suite in the Orca building, which was a very nice suite with kitchen. The cleanliness and tastefulness was very good. They had heavy curtains too, that helped in blocking out the long Alaskan summer light at night. The service was always friendly and fast. The restaurant food was adequate, not great, but certainly adequate, and since the room had a kitchen, we ate in one evening to save money (our favorite restaurant visited in Valdez was The Fat Mermaid). The hotel is also very close, very easy walking distance, to the harbor and numerous restaurants.
Because the Orca building, and our room, is side by side with the main building and restaurant, it might make for a bit quieter night to get a room in the Chugach building that is behind the main building instead.

Room Tip: A suite in the Chugach building is likely your best arrangement at the Totem Inn, since it is not as...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie B

Reviewed 2 July 2014

As a business traveler I've stayed at dozens of hotels and properties through the years; and I've stayed at the Totem twice now (each stay was over 30-days) and Pam at the front desk has always gone the extra mile for me to insure that I'm taken care of. The housekeeping staff is top notch and very friendly and the restaurant is very good. I would (and do) recommend The Totem Inn to my clients and friends and will continue to stay here as long as I have business in Valdez.

Room Tip: Stay in the suites if you want or need a kitchen along with a washer and dryer...they're also ne...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had planned on staying in a cheaper motel, but that went bad. I explained the situation to them and they gave us all that was available-a suite- at base room rates, it even had a washer and dryer in room. They saved our trip to Valdez

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank othtraveler2
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Not very happy. Made a rez 6 months ago for a cabin. When we arrived was told it was not available but would upgrade to a suite. Put us on second floor w/no elevator. I have a sprained ankle and we have a dog that needs to go out during the night. Accomodations nice but not what we wanted.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank AlaskaVans
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We have come here for breakfast every morning we were in Valdez. The staff is amazing, very friendly & attentive. The food is top notch.
The totem Benedict was awesome. Lots of variety on the menu. Also great pancakes.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were in Valdez for two days and ate at the Totem Inn twice. Both times we had dinner. My husband had the halibut and I had the shrimp the first night. The portions were wonderful and the service from Jimmy was excellent. The second night we both had Prime Rib dinners. Excellent cut of meat and portions again were wonderful. Our server Hannah, was wonderful. I would do it again :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sue L
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I was surprised how large this suite was; more like a 1-bedroom apartment. It had a full kitchen, with more cabinets than you would ever need for a short-stay suite, and a living room separate from the bedroom, with a 2nd TV. The bed was a bit squishy, but that's my only complaint. Our room, on the south side, had a fantastic view of the nearby mountain peaks and some view of the harbor. Staff was very friendly and nice.

Room Tip: Second floor suites have the best views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple