“Had a fine stay at the Chugach Suite”

Totem Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I traveled to Valdez this past April. We stayed at the Totem Inn, in one of the Chugach Suites. The Suites consist of one bed room, full (in-room) laundry, bathroom, full kitchen, and a comfortable living room. The bed room had a large TV and queen size bed. The bed was a little too soft for me, but my wife seemed to enjoy it. The living room also had a large TV, a comfortable couch, and a desk. Wireless internet was also available. The rooms were kept clean. Service was a little slow. The Totem Inn is located near the Valdez waterfront. I would recommend breakfast and lunch at the Totem. The menu has quite the variety, and is affordable. Dinner is another story... wide variety, but expensive and meager portions.

I would highly recommend a stay at the Totem Inn... the Chugach Suites are probably the best in Valdez.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 September 2009

The Totem Inn offers big and comofortable rooms and is easy to spot once you arrive to downtown Valdez. Front staff is friendly and we could check in even though we arrived at 2 pm. The decor is very basic and a little bit updated, but the large TV is great. Soundproofing is so-so, and we could hear music from the bar, but only until early evening. We managed to have a good night's sleep. Bathroom is OK with some amenities. The property has a restaurant that serves great foor, specially breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I chose this Inn because the location is easy walking distance to the harbor, supermarket, sporting goods store, and Fish Central. I wish my stay would have worked out better as the room met my basic needs, however the staff was ineffective and incompetent. In the middle of each night, I was woken up by very loud neighbors (loud talking at 2 AM, loud T.V. at 3 PM, and a party at 12:30 AM). The front desk staff was useless to quiet the neighbor (turns out he lived there as a maintenance worker)and would not provide a different room for us (even though others were available). On-call managers were not able to be reached to solve the problem. The desk clerk offered to move me and my friend from our two-bed room to a one bed suite for the full rate of the room even though we would only be sleeping another four hours before leaving town.It took an hour (1:30 AM) to get a different room away from Melvin but the front desk clerk still stated he would need to charge an extra $249 because it "wouldn't be reasonable to give me a different room that cost more." It doesn't seem reasonable to me to have to endure sleepless nights because of their drunken employee that they are unable to control. It doesn't seem reasonable that they could not provide us with a different room away from their drunken employee. As it turns out, I was charged for my regular room (which I couldn't sleep in because they couldn't control their drunken employee) and I was charged $221 for the room I moved into at 1:30 AM and had to leave at 6 AM for the airport. If the staff learned to take care of their customers better, they would be able to provide a nice, basic over night experience for travelers. Choose wisely, because you have other choices in Valdez.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank TotemInnMisery
Reviewed 11 October 2008

I stayed here for a few nights on business and it was an experience that I shall remember! The cafe is a bit of a 'greasy spoon' but the food was nice and plentiful. I would say its a good way to experience real, working class Alaska.

Staff were ok. Room was comfy and warm, but tired and dingy coupled with that.

As I said basic, but did the job never the less.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We didn't stay here, but I want to recommend their excellent restaurant. Cozy atmosphere, bar frequented by locals, excellent food and middle of the road prices.

Highly recommended

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2008

We stayed at the Chugach suites which were built in 2003. There is a full kitchen with frig, microwave and stove. Two televisions and a DVD player so this is a great choice for people with kids. Also free DSL. Be advised that there is no elevator so be prepared to carry your bags up the steps and down the hall if you're on the second floor. Even numbered suites face the harbor. Our suite overlooked the mountains but also the dumpster and the back of the hotel and we were treated to many early morning deliveries to the restaurant at the hotel. Convenient to the harbor and what there is of downtown. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 21 June 2008

We stayed in a regular room, not one of the newer suites. It was more expensive than the Best Western, but the room was not as nice. Also, Best Western rooms include breakfast. The room was a bit shabby; it can defintely use some upgrading. I guess that when the bus tours are in town, they can charge whatever they want.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)