“Ask to see the room first!!”

Totem Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Rockhampton, Australia
“Ask to see the room first!!”
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Arrived in Valdez after long day of driving and this hotel was recommended by Gas Station attendant. Was in good location and looked ok from the front. Very surprised at the cost of a double room ($148) but were too tired to quibble. Room was terrible! Old and smelly. Did not want to walk on the tired, worn and shabby carpet so kept socks on at all times. Walls paper thin - could hear the person in the next room roll over in bed! Lucky we were only staying one night and should have gone to the Best Western down the road. Travelled all over Alaska and Canada for six weeks and this was the worst hotel and was also one of the most expensive.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Aussie4701

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Valdez, Alaska
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I traveled to Valdez this past April. We stayed at the Totem Inn, in one of the Chugach Suites. The Suites consist of one bed room, full (in-room) laundry, bathroom, full kitchen, and a comfortable living room. The bed room had a large TV and queen size bed. The bed was a little too soft for me, but my wife seemed to enjoy it. The living room also had a large TV, a comfortable couch, and a desk. Wireless internet was also available. The rooms were kept clean. Service was a little slow. The Totem Inn is located near the Valdez waterfront. I would recommend breakfast and lunch at the Totem. The menu has quite the variety, and is affordable. Dinner is another story... wide variety, but expensive and meager portions.

I would highly recommend a stay at the Totem Inn... the Chugach Suites are probably the best in Valdez.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 25 September 2009

The Totem Inn offers big and comofortable rooms and is easy to spot once you arrive to downtown Valdez. Front staff is friendly and we could check in even though we arrived at 2 pm. The decor is very basic and a little bit updated, but the large TV is great. Soundproofing is so-so, and we could hear music from the bar, but only until early evening. We managed to have a good night's sleep. Bathroom is OK with some amenities. The property has a restaurant that serves great foor, specially breakfast.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Carlsbad
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I chose this Inn because the location is easy walking distance to the harbor, supermarket, sporting goods store, and Fish Central. I wish my stay would have worked out better as the room met my basic needs, however the staff was ineffective and incompetent. In the middle of each night, I was woken up by very loud neighbors (loud talking at 2 AM, loud T.V. at 3 PM, and a party at 12:30 AM). The front desk staff was useless to quiet the neighbor (turns out he lived there as a maintenance worker)and would not provide a different room for us (even though others were available). On-call managers were not able to be reached to solve the problem. The desk clerk offered to move me and my friend from our two-bed room to a one bed suite for the full rate of the room even though we would only be sleeping another four hours before leaving town.It took an hour (1:30 AM) to get a different room away from Melvin but the front desk clerk still stated he would need to charge an extra $249 because it "wouldn't be reasonable to give me a different room that cost more." It doesn't seem reasonable to me to have to endure sleepless nights because of their drunken employee that they are unable to control. It doesn't seem reasonable that they could not provide us with a different room away from their drunken employee. As it turns out, I was charged for my regular room (which I couldn't sleep in because they couldn't control their drunken employee) and I was charged $221 for the room I moved into at 1:30 AM and had to leave at 6 AM for the airport. If the staff learned to take care of their customers better, they would be able to provide a nice, basic over night experience for travelers. Choose wisely, because you have other choices in Valdez.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank TotemInnMisery
London
Reviewed 11 October 2008

I stayed here for a few nights on business and it was an experience that I shall remember! The cafe is a bit of a 'greasy spoon' but the food was nice and plentiful. I would say its a good way to experience real, working class Alaska.

Staff were ok. Room was comfy and warm, but tired and dingy coupled with that.

As I said basic, but did the job never the less.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We didn't stay here, but I want to recommend their excellent restaurant. Cozy atmosphere, bar frequented by locals, excellent food and middle of the road prices.

Highly recommended

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2008

We stayed at the Chugach suites which were built in 2003. There is a full kitchen with frig, microwave and stove. Two televisions and a DVD player so this is a great choice for people with kids. Also free DSL. Be advised that there is no elevator so be prepared to carry your bags up the steps and down the hall if you're on the second floor. Even numbered suites face the harbor. Our suite overlooked the mountains but also the dumpster and the back of the hotel and we were treated to many early morning deliveries to the restaurant at the hotel. Convenient to the harbor and what there is of downtown. I would stay here again.

• Liked — washer and dryer in suite
  • Disliked — overlooking the dumpster, dragging bags up a flight of steps
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
#1 of 14 in Valdez
Mountain Sky Hotel
Mountain Sky Hotel
#4 of 5 in Valdez

Been to Totem Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!