“In a nut shell, do not expect much!”

Totem Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Tennessee
“In a nut shell, do not expect much!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

We stayed a couple nights in one of the cabins, ONLY because we didn't want to pack up and move to another location. It was not filthy, but it was not very clean either. Stained carpet, and ceilings. On the other hand, the staff was friendly and the restaurant was average with good food.
But in a nut shell, we just do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank East_Tennesseean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

A friend of mine stayed here overnight in order to catch the ferry back to Whittier/Anchorage the following day. The room was as described and it was one of the older rooms facing the street.

I would guess this hotel dates to the pipeline construction of the 70's and while it does have a flatscreen TV, it does show its age. The carpet in my room is in need of replacement, and it's somewhat shabby inside and out. We were somewhat away from the restaurant and bar section so we didn't have a problem with its noise, but facing the street you do hear cars and trucks going by, and especially the clatter of diesel-engined pickups in the parking lot.

Other than the worn and stained carpet, the room was clean though, and the bathroom was mold-free and clean. Plenty of hot water, though oddly the shower is at its hottest when the valve is turned only 1/3 of the way, instead of fully as it normally would be. Until I discovered this I thought I would be taking a shower in very cold Alaska tap water!

The WiFi is pretty good but that may not be the same for all rooms. There is a fridge and microwave if you want to get your own food from the local grocery store.

Certainly not the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, but far from the best, and quite pricey even by Alaska standards. If you just want a place to crash, it's fine, but if you (or your traveling companion) is picky you may want to pick somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Wasilla, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed in one of the older rooms in the main building. Unfortunately it was right next to the lounge area which played loud music until approx. 11 pm. The walls of the room were paper thin and we could hear everything the people in the next room were saying. The room itself was drab and run down. The server in the restaurant was slow and rude. Would definately not stay at the Totem Inn again and would not recommed it for anyone else.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AK69_10
Rockhampton, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

Arrived in Valdez after long day of driving and this hotel was recommended by Gas Station attendant. Was in good location and looked ok from the front. Very surprised at the cost of a double room ($148) but were too tired to quibble. Room was terrible! Old and smelly. Did not want to walk on the tired, worn and shabby carpet so kept socks on at all times. Walls paper thin - could hear the person in the next room roll over in bed! Lucky we were only staying one night and should have gone to the Best Western down the road. Travelled all over Alaska and Canada for six weeks and this was the worst hotel and was also one of the most expensive.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aussie4701
Valdez, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

I traveled to Valdez this past April. We stayed at the Totem Inn, in one of the Chugach Suites. The Suites consist of one bed room, full (in-room) laundry, bathroom, full kitchen, and a comfortable living room. The bed room had a large TV and queen size bed. The bed was a little too soft for me, but my wife seemed to enjoy it. The living room also had a large TV, a comfortable couch, and a desk. Wireless internet was also available. The rooms were kept clean. Service was a little slow. The Totem Inn is located near the Valdez waterfront. I would recommend breakfast and lunch at the Totem. The menu has quite the variety, and is affordable. Dinner is another story... wide variety, but expensive and meager portions.

I would highly recommend a stay at the Totem Inn... the Chugach Suites are probably the best in Valdez.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

The Totem Inn offers big and comofortable rooms and is easy to spot once you arrive to downtown Valdez. Front staff is friendly and we could check in even though we arrived at 2 pm. The decor is very basic and a little bit updated, but the large TV is great. Soundproofing is so-so, and we could hear music from the bar, but only until early evening. We managed to have a good night's sleep. Bathroom is OK with some amenities. The property has a restaurant that serves great foor, specially breakfast.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Carlsbad
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2009

I chose this Inn because the location is easy walking distance to the harbor, supermarket, sporting goods store, and Fish Central. I wish my stay would have worked out better as the room met my basic needs, however the staff was ineffective and incompetent. In the middle of each night, I was woken up by very loud neighbors (loud talking at 2 AM, loud T.V. at 3 PM, and a party at 12:30 AM). The front desk staff was useless to quiet the neighbor (turns out he lived there as a maintenance worker)and would not provide a different room for us (even though others were available). On-call managers were not able to be reached to solve the problem. The desk clerk offered to move me and my friend from our two-bed room to a one bed suite for the full rate of the room even though we would only be sleeping another four hours before leaving town.It took an hour (1:30 AM) to get a different room away from Melvin but the front desk clerk still stated he would need to charge an extra $249 because it "wouldn't be reasonable to give me a different room that cost more." It doesn't seem reasonable to me to have to endure sleepless nights because of their drunken employee that they are unable to control. It doesn't seem reasonable that they could not provide us with a different room away from their drunken employee. As it turns out, I was charged for my regular room (which I couldn't sleep in because they couldn't control their drunken employee) and I was charged $221 for the room I moved into at 1:30 AM and had to leave at 6 AM for the airport. If the staff learned to take care of their customers better, they would be able to provide a nice, basic over night experience for travelers. Choose wisely, because you have other choices in Valdez.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank TotemInnMisery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
BEST WESTERN Valdez Harbor Inn
#1 of 14 in Valdez
Alaska Copper River B&B
Alaska Copper River B&B
#1 of 5 in Glennallen

Been to Totem Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!