“Worth a quick stop if in town”

Iditarod Headquarters
Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Wasilla
More attraction details
Owner description: Headquarters site for the Iditarod dogsled race.
Wasilla, Alaska
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Worth a quick stop if in town”
Reviewed 1 November 2007

As the name implies, this is the H.Q. for the race, but not where the actual race is started. The real treat is the race itself. The H.Q. has a nice film about the history of the Iditarod, portraits and other information about the winners, and a nice gift shop. You can get a sled dog ride around the grounds with Joe Redington's son for $10. It is very brief, and not really worth the $10. There are many other places to have a great sled dog ride that is sure to thrill you. If you are in Wasilla, the H.Q. is worth a quick visit.

4 Thank inluvwithAK

• Korean first
Yukon, OK
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A Wish for Mushing but no Snow”
Reviewed 13 June 2006

On my recent trip tp the beautiful state of Alaska---we took a day trip to Talkeetna and made WASILLA one of the stops. Even there being NO SNOW--we thoroughly enjoyed the little film they showed at the headquarters building and really had an even better visiting the dog team and taking a ride---the dogs were so eager and upon the return, they wanted praise for their hard work. We got to hold one of the puppies which was cuddly and cute. I am embarassed to say that as an Oklahoman, I had no idea that the Father of the Iditaroid was from my state. In fact, his son was the person in charge of the team and ride. It was an honor to meet him. I plan on asking our daily newpaper to run an article on the race and the headquarters for the next year's race. We should be proud of this. I just wish I could experience a true ride with snow sometime. Maybe--my next time in Alaska---there will be a next time. Just be sure and check this place out when you are visiting Aaska--it is not too far from Anch and is worth the trip.

7 Thank garfieldsyl

Been to Iditarod Headquarters? Share your experiences!