“Can't imagine a better trip”

Alaskan Tour Guides Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 17 Tours in Wasilla
More attraction details
Owner description: Alaskan guided land Tours - All Inclusive* Alaska Land Tours, Multi Sport and Scenic trips, Family Tours, Custom and VIP Tours. Discover Kenai Fjords National Park, Denali National Park, in-between and beyond. These multi day trips explore glaciers, watch for wildlife, take part in many activities from thrilling to mild. Don't just see Alaska, discover, participate, and learn with Alaskan Tour Guides' small group tours.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our extended family of 7 spent 6 days with ATG in early June. We were ages 16-72 and everyone had an amazing time. I had originally looked at taking one of the cruise extensions, but I didn't think it would be a great fit for our family. I began doing some research and spoke to several tour companies, then called ATG and spoke to Bob. He was very easy to talk to and really understood the goal of our multi-generation family vacation. The other important decision maker was the set up and quality of their vans. Three men in my family are over 6’2” and we need a lot of leg room. I also couldn’t see my niece and nephew having to sit next to one another during an entire trip – the captain’s chairs and the large windows of the van were the perfect set up. The van was super easy to get in and out of, no twisting hips to move around seats, etc.

The day after I spoke to Bob, Doreen sent me a proposed itinerary and worked with me on dates to precede a 7 day cruise. Doreen kept up a great communication stream and was careful to ask about food allergies, preferences, etc. She also continued to communicate via email during our trip.

Our guide was Jeremiah Millen and although I don’t recall submitting a detailed family personality profile to Doreen, I must have to have gotten such a great match for our family (or the Toller’s just have a great group of folks working for them.) Jeremiah was the best guide imaginable - personable, relaxed, aware, diligent, intuitive, flexible – we couldn’t have asked for better. There were a couple of days when members of our family decided to take a break from the days activities and Jeremiah easily kept them engaged. Whether it was fetching ear plugs and yogurt or making stops at Walmart and Burger King – nothing was out of the question for Jeremiah. At our request he found small local art shops, great restaurants and a local seafood shop that would ship fish back home. Our comfort and enjoyment was his top priority.

It was simply an amazing trip - from the train ride to Denali to our record setting (according to our Denali bus driver of 7+ years) animal viewing day at the park, to glacier trekking and homemade picnic lunches, to dog sledding and whale watching, one thing was better than the next. At the end of our trip I’m still hard pressed to pick a favorite thing.

A couple of other important things to us - All of our lodging arrangements had magnificent settings, were clean and comfortable and check in was seamless. We are a family of horrible packers. With the 7 day cruise after our land tour, we were 2 bags+ per person. The 1st hotel asked if we were leaving or moving out. I was trying to imagine how we were going to stack our luggage into the back of the van and I can’t tell you how happy I was to see Jeremiah pull in with a small trailer behind the van – brilliant!! My husband and I travel extensively and I’m a diligent researcher for vacations/travel. At the beginning of our trip I thought this was a good value. After our trip I realize it was an amazing value for our family. The things that were included in our trip, ice trekking, whale watching, dog sledding, were easily $200-$300 excursions per person from the cruise line and we would have never had a small group of just our family, nor would we have had the unique and personal attention to detail that we got from ATG and their associates.

During my initial conversation with Bob I had asked whether it was better to cruise before or after the land tour – he said “Honestly, most people do the cruise, and then wish they had spent that week on land.” Bob, you were right. We could have easily spent another week touring with ATG and are already talking about a return trip. Thanks for an amazing vacation!

All reviews
"outstanding trip"
"excellent driver"
"small van"

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our vacation with Alaska Tour Guides was one of the best ever. We gave Doreen our preferences and she planned an excellent itinerary for our private family tour. Our guide, Bob, and trainee, Leann, provided great commentary and information. When weather interfered with our plans, Bob rearranged our schedule so nothing was missed. Bob and Leann knew where to look for wildlife and we could stop for photos whenever we wanted. We saw many animals in the wild, including a herd of caribou, Dahl sheep, mountain goats, and moose most days (including in our inn’s yard and from the baloney the next day). Another lodge was on beachfront and provided incredible sightings of eagles, sea otters, and whales. On our fishing charter we all caught our limit of halibut and king salmon, bringing home almost 100 pounds of fillets. Bob got it frozen and packed in coolers, which were picked up on the way to the airport. Alaskan Tour guides provided a relaxing way to see the real Alaska.

The Kopko Family, Perkiomenville, PA

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I just came back from a week-long tour with Alaskan Tour Guides, and it was an incredible trip! We had never been to Alaska before, and Bob & Doreen did an excellent job planning exciting things for us to see and do. I especially liked how they took our personal interests into account. I'm interested in history, politics, and museums, and I enjoyed learning about everything from native traditions to Sarah Palin. My husband just can't stop smiling after his successful fishing and whale watching trips. The accommodations were very nice, and I'm glad we had the chance to try new things like walking on a glacier. We highly recommend this company for a vacation you will never forget!

1  Thank Jessa1404
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We booked a tour and transfer from Seward to Anchorage using this company. Our cruise was cancelled midway and we contacted all of our excursion companies.. Everyone was gracious and gave us a refund except this company. We tried to file through insurance and cruise company but still got no refund. I would not use this company unless you are 100% sure you are using them. They don't care why you cancelled

6  Thank Connecticut_Couple
ATGtoller, Owner at Alaskan Tour Guides Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Yes, we did not refund you for a reservation that you cancelled with only 5 days notice. We state on our website and on our tour booking form that we strongly recommend travel insurance. Our policy requires a 60 day notice for refunds. We are a smaller company and had all of our vehicles booked and an employee on the payroll that day. The cruiseline (I might mention a much larger company) cancelled your trip, not Alaskan Tour Guides. We offered to write a letter on your behalf so that you might submit it to the cruise line. What is fair? That we take the loss because you did not take to our recommendation to purchase travel insurance? Is fair to give us a poor review because you do not like our policy which was clear before you booked? Your circumstance was unfortunate, it is agreed however we cannot absorb the loss for you and it is good that all travelers understand this. Thank you.

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We are still smiling!! Three months after the euphoria of a week in Alaska with Bob and Doreen (Alaskan Tour guides) we still haven't stopped annoying our friends by telling them how much we loved Alaska. Bob and Doreen put on a magnificent tour over 7 days stretching from Denali to Seward and Kenai National Park. We enjoyed all of it but in particular the scenic flight to Denali, visiting Vern Halter and his wonderful dogs and of course Doreen's famous after dinner moose call walk. There were only 6 of us on the trip for Bob to look after so we had a lot of attention. The stories and history of Alaska continued for the 7 days which was entertaining. We saw a lot of Alaska, plenty of wildlife and had so much fun! Accommodation was great, food was up to standard and general organising went without a hitch. We definitely plan to go back again.
DougT

4  Thank 6641dougt

Thank you! I absolutely love it when I get the opportunity to get out of the office and meet up with our guests. I also love it when the wildlife cooperates. :-)

Been to Alaskan Tour Guides Day Tours? Share your experiences!