“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Agate Inn, Inc.

Agate Inn, Inc.
Ranked #3 of 25 Wasilla B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 September 2009

The quarters were even better than they looked on the internet with spacious excellent room, separate bathroom facilities to the side, different types of chairs.
Minus: hard to find, thankfully we called for directions, but it is very close to major road off state highway - Wasilla - Palmer Road.
We enjoyed reindeer feeding.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2009

the last stop of our alaska trip landed us in wasilla, rates much better than that of anchorage, we arrived at agate inn , we had reservations and had seen the pictures on line, but the actual place is even more inviting than the pictures, we arrived in time to help round up the reindeer, which was fun, learned a lot from the host and hostess about reindeer , our rooms were spacious and so warm and cozy, you just wanted to stay there forever, our little fridge was stocked with juice and milk and a contiental breakfast for the morning, although i cheated and ate 1/2 a muffin before bed, the bathroom was beautiful a jetted tub, all marble, with great gold fixtures, the walk in shower was just as inviting, then we had two big lounge chairs in our room that were super comfy, all the tables were fossil rock, everything was unique , its a super place, the only thing was the tv did not get local channels, that would have made it a perfect place, but even without local channels i would return in a hearbeat should i ever get back to wasilla, ak

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I was working in Palmer and decided to try out the Agate Inn. I made my reservations and had to pay 1/2 at the time of the reservation due to their policies. I arrived there at about 9:00 pm and followed the check-in procedure to get my room key from the lockbox. The office is only manned from 8 to 4 so anything not during those times and you're pretty much on your own. My room was a suite in the main building (same one where the office is) and the room itself was very nice and spacious - particularly for the price. The weather was great the week I was there so I had all of the windows open to cool the room down. Because of this, the road noise of the Palmer-Wasilla Highway, which is about 100 feet from the building, was very apparent. It's not quite as secluded as you might think.....

The grounds were nice and the reindeer were cool to see. There weren't that many people staying there and I had the building to myself the first night. The second night, however, was not fun as the guy staying right next to me got up at about 3 am to go fishing and was quite loud. There isn't much in the way of sound proofing between the rooms and I could hear his clunking around, coughing, etc. I did talk to the owner that day about it and she kindly offered to move me somewhere else, but I declined. The next night was much better and it turned out that she has spoken to him about the noise and he was much better when he got up early again. The owner also left a hand-written card in my room apologizing for the inconvenience which I very much appreciated.

I loved the rocks, minerals, gems and fossils everywhere since I have a geology background. It was a nice touch. The in-room continental breakfast was a nice touch as well since I had expected it to be in a common area. This made it easy for me to get up, eat and get to work.

Oh, one complaint, the high speed internet was down 2 out of 5 nights that I stayed there and after hours there is no way to talk to the owner or even leave a message (I think). The lack of internet was pretty frustrating.

I'll stay there again if I need to work in the area, but I'll probably choose a different building / room next time.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank amorsell
Reviewed 18 March 2009

The Agate Inn is owned by a geologist and his wife. Every room is decorated with beautiful one of a kind fossils or geological curiosities. Our room had amazing 100,000 year old fossils called Ammonites. The rooms are the most energy efficient that I have seen in Alaska. Thick insulated walls and the direct vent fireplace add quiet warmth and ambiance that made the room hard to leave.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2009

I was in town working for a week (outside the whole time) and it was so nice to come back to a comfortable room and relax. The bed and chair was comfortable, the fire place was perfect and I basically never wanted to leave once I got in from work. Great place to enjoy a vacation or a working trip and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2009

My husband and I just married and heading to Chena Hot Springs for our honeymoon. While Chena was great, the Agate Inn was a highlight of our trip. The rooms at the Agate Inn were the best I've ever stayed in. The clean, organized, and efficient layout was homey and comfortable. The built in gas fireplace provided all the heat we needed and added such a wonderufl romantic feeling to the room.
Our refrigirator was stocked with fresh muffins, milk, and OJ. We had seveal choices of cereal, coffe, hot chocolate, or apple cider. It was perfect having all this in our own room rather than having to go to a breakfast area at a specific time.
We loved the reindeer's too.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 7 January 2009

The Wasilla Agate Inn is not just a place to stay, but an experience. The Inn itself is situated near town, but hidden away in a little wood. But the biggest reason it is such an attraction is because of the Reindeer Farm that the owners, Sandy and Harvey Bowers, have on the property. They not only offered, but encouraged us, to help them with the summer grazing of their only half domesticated reindeer. One could feel the love they have for their lively animals.

The facilities are exceptional for anyplace, but esp. for more-or-less outback Alaska. Our room had a gas fireplace which came on automatically when needed on cool summer nights.

The Inn is also near good hunting and fishing grounds and for us tourists it was just a short drive to mountains (Independence Mine Area) for exceptional walks and many developed and undeveloped lake resorts and good restaurants.

Go and you will enjoy your best stay in Alaska.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wasilla
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
#6 of 25 in Wasilla
Pioneer Motel
Pioneer Motel
#1 of 3 in Palmer

Been to Agate Inn, Inc.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Agate Inn, Inc.

Address: 4725 E Begich Cir, Wasilla, AK 99654-7605
Region: United States > Alaska > Wasilla
Business Centre with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Suites Wheelchair access
Ranked #3 of 25 B&Bs / Inns in Wasilla
Price Range: £124 - £125 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Agate Inn, Inc. 3*
Ideal lodging for business travelers, retreats, reunions, visiting family and vacationers. Country-style inn with five spacious king rooms, four comfortable two- & three-bedroom suites, two wheelchair accessible suites, two vacation homes, and meeting facilities in a multi-building complex situated on 20 wooded acres. Agate Inn also provides complimentary continental breakfast, satellite television, phones with voice mail, high speed Internet access, a business center, laundry facilities, barbecue, and freezer space. Join the owners at 10 am and 6 pm inside the reindeer pen to visit and feed the Inn's 5 reindeer. En-route to Mt. McKinley and Denali National Park, the Agate Inn is just minutes from Wasilla and Palmer with easy access to salmon fishing, glacier hiking, the Iditarod Sled Dog Race headquarters, Independence Mine State Park, Hatcher Pass, the Musk Ox Farm, gold mines, hiking, skiing, and wildlife viewing. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Odigeo so you can book your Agate Inn, Inc. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.