“Loved the Bisbee Grand” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bisbee
Phoenix, AZ
“Loved the Bisbee Grand”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2008

My boyfriend and I loved the Bisbee Grand. We stayed in the covered wagon room, which was about the coolest thing ever. The hotel is centrally located, so we were able to park the car on Friday, and didn't get back in until Sunday. The room shared a wall with the bar, but the noise was muffled and didn't keep us up at all. We thought it was quaint that the clerk was also the bartender, and just generally loved the Bisbee Grand. Also, apparently the Victorian Room is haunted, so we're excited to go back and try to stay in that room as well. If you have little kids, they'll think the covered wagon is great!

I was a little trepedatious after reading the reviews, but as long as you understand that this is an OLD hotel, and that it's not going to have all the amenities of a Four Seasons, or even a Holiday Inn, you'll be fine. You should be staying here precisely because of the hotel's interesting history, and kitschy atmosphere.

• Liked — The historic building
  • Disliked — Hard water
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
azladynred
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2008

My Husband and I stayed in room 8 at the Bisbee Grand Hotel. We both enjoy going to ghost towns and staying in unique (and sometimes haunted) hotels. We had never been to Bisbee before this trip, so we were thrilled when we arrived. Bisbee is a wonderful place with plenty to see and do. The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. There was a delicious homemade breakfast of chocolate dipped pastries, pastry bars, bagels, fresh fruit, meats, and several choices of beverages (orange juice was chilly and tasty). The room itself was charming and had all of the qualities that I had hoped for in an antique building. Except that the mattress was modern and very comfortable. The queen sized bed itself was an impressive authentic brass bed with gorgeous marble balls and accents. I must admit, after reading some of the crummy reviews from other people on here, I was afraid of the noise from the bar below etc. I think whomever wrote those reviews were staying in a different hotel because we slept just fine and the "noise" wasn't even an issue. It was really a neat experience. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Excellent Abiance and Location To Shopping & Great Food
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank azladynred
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

We are two senior couples from York, Pennsylvania and Tucson, AZ who make a habit of almost never booking hotels in advance. We booked from the Queen Mine parking lot in Bisbee that February 18th Monday morning. We like something different than the average cookie cutter motel/hotel room when it is available. I had done some previous checking of accommodations via computer before leaving PA. However when my husband said the bath was down the hall and he was confused as to whether it was in or out of the Capitan's Suite, we said we wanted to see it first.

Research had prepared me for little parking however we forgot it was President's day, a long weekend and there was no parking even in the lot across from the hotel when we arrived. I was dropped off for inspection. Doors open directly off the street. I found a friendly "bartender" Ms. Laura, who directed me to the suite. Ms.Terri and Ms. Chris were cleaning and making beds. They cheerfully told me to just wander through. This huge suite contained a large front living/dining room, through french doors a good size room with queen bed, then an even larger room with king bed and down the hall, inside the same suite, a huge bath with clawfoot tub, shower, etc. Old yes, clean yes. Comfortable beds, warm blankets, extra pillows, lots of fluffy towels and plenty of hot water. At $194 including all taxes, Six could have slept with 2 on the sofabed. We thought it was very reasonable. We have spent more for less space and comfort.

When we finished touring that afternoon the parking lot was nearly empty. We had a lady who could not do stairs. All Bisbee is straight up so we lucked out with this first floor suite. A small problem. The 3 portable radiator type heaters blew some circuits. A cheerful Miranda fetched the repair man who immediately fixed that problem. She got us ice and invited us to take a self-guided tour of any room with open doors. The building is delightful old, old lady; each room has a different theme and ranges from quite small rooms with bath to very spacious suites.

The included continental breakfast was fresh, plentiful and tasty.
Coffee, juice, boiled eggs, cheese, yogurt, scones, english muffins, toast, luncheon meats, cereal, croissants and jellies. Real plates, cups and saucers and please help yourself.

We slept well, the staff was friendly, helpful and made us feel they were glad to had stopped there. We would recommend the Bisbee Grand to almost anyone.

I did notice that there were some very scruffy, homeless looking characters hanging on the street. There seemed a large number for the size of the town. Perhaps as walking tourists we were just more alert to them. Travelers should always be cautious.

Stayed February 2008
Wa State
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2008

Stayed at the BG in Jan. 2008. Rm. No. 1, right off of the main stairway. We also thought it was odd that the lobby was locked, and that the bartender was the hotel clerk, but not a big deal.
Since we had had a long trip, we turned in after dinner. Shortly before 8 pm, a large, noisy group of folks on some kind of a hotel tour came bounding up the stairs, led by a noisier, high-pitched tour leader. She told folks to look around and open any of the room doors - fortunately, ours was locked, and whomever jiggled the door handle didn't get in. After they left, my husband went to find the clerk to see if we could change rooms, but sorry! the desk was closed. So we settled in again...and low and behold! here comes another group just before 10 pm!
Between that, the harsh light coming through the transom all night, the paper thin door through which we could hear everyone coming up the stairs until 2 am, when the bar closed, we got no sleep and were really happy to leave - without touching the breakfast that looked like it had been set out on the table for a number of days.
One note: if you decide to stay here, be sure to get a room with a window. Ours only had an airshaft, and I noticed that although there were two fire escape routes posted on the door, both went out that way, so really only one escape.

• Liked — Room decor
  • Disliked — Lights, noise, no privacy
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bellg
Granddame65, Owner at Bisbee Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2008
We are very sorry you had a bad experience at the Hotel.. We have since stopped the ghost tours as they do not seem able to respect our requests for small quiet groups (once again we apologize for this) as for the lights from the hallway my staff has been told to set the lights at night (I guess I need to go down every night and do it myself) As for the breakfast (that i do set myself) You are very mistaken as to being left out for days and you very much offend me in this reguard i strive very hard to make set a very pleasing meal from german pastries fresh fruits yogurts and meats. (They are all placed daily and only left out during breakfast)
Tucson, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2008

We stayed in the "Victorian Suite" at the Bisbee Grand Hotel in January 2008. We were looking for a romantic getaway in a charming little town. After we visited websites of numerous hotels and B&B's, we settled on the "Victorian Suite" at this hotel.

When we first arrived at 3 p.m., we were a little surprised to find the hotel lobby locked. There was a sign directing us to an adjacent bar. Wondering what we got ourselves into, we went to the bar and learned that our concierge was actually also a bartender. After a lengthy check-in process (since the concierge/bartender had to run back and forth between the bar and hotel lobby to process our credit card), we finally got to our room.

Our room was the one depicted on the hotel's website - the four-post bed with the velvet curtains. What the grainy picture on the webiste didn't capture was the peeling wallpaper, or the uneven marble surfaces and unmarked tiers in the bathroom that I repeatedly stubbed my toes on when trying to go to the bathroom or brush my teeth.

I was quite disappointed with the marketing for this "suite" by the hotel - although I assumed "Victorian" meant decorated to look like the late 19th century British period, I didn't realize that what it actually meant was furnished with stuff collected from a dumpster in the 19th century.

Additionally, the hotel continued the "Victorian" facade by not providing a telephone in the room. At $175/night for a hotel in Bisbee, AZ, we should at least get a phone, at the very least to dial 9-1-1 in an emergency (such as for medical attention for broken toes).

Finally, the coup de grace of this Victorian fiasco was the breakfast on Sunday morning. The internet advertised a "gourmet breakfast," and after a night of hearing bar revelry until 2 a.m. and 4 stubbed toes (one of which was still bleeding in the morning), I was ready for a decent meal. I would say I was shocked - but in reality, after the string of disappoints so far I guess I should say amused - when I found out that their idea of "gourmet" was water, orange juice, 2 different fruit selections, some hard-boiled eggs, and some stale scones. I guess the real "Victorian" feel of this romantic weekend getaway disaster was the realization that I was eating scones that Queen Victoria herself probably prepared.

• Liked — The bed was soft
  • Disliked — Everything except for the bed
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Major_Priapism
Granddame65, Owner at Bisbee Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2008
Well my friend let me say this.. One our lobby is locked when staff are away checking someone else in sorry for this issue you had(we are a tiny hotel we have a small staff). As far as the rest of the review you must have stayed somewhere else. We don't advertise "gourmet breakfast" we advertise breakfast although i believe our breakfast to be very good, you disagree. I have not been dumpster diving for the grand of late, I take huge offense to this and quite honestly have to say shame on you for such a misleading statement.
The phone is in the Upstairs open Library/Office...I must say i have never had anyone complaint like this before, I try to stay positive about the family Hotel and its 100 years of quirks (which I like) So we are not the Waldorf.. we are a small historic hotel are walls are not thick my doors are old the wall paper tells a story (the breakfast is fresh) the bathrooms are what fit in the day.. steps here and there..I sincerely hope your next stay, where ever that may be, is a good. Good day to you and yours.
north east CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2007

I stayed for one night in room #5. It was a beautiful room. Nice bathroom-smallish shower though. Problem reported before with smoke from bar is now non-existent, since smoking is illegal in bars now in AZ. Thank goodness! Wonderful little bar downstairs, very friendly staff. Only complaint-and it is minor-walls/door to room are very thin-could hear people very clearly as they walked by room and/or talked. I would recommend the Bisbee Grand to friends and family anytime.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2007

The Good: Good location central to Old Town Bisbee.
The bed was reasonably comfortable. The towels were in very good condition. The shampoo was good quality. The sheets were good quality. The breakfast was surprisingly excellent (though we could have used milk (not cream) for the cereal.

The Bad: Noise from the bar till 2 a.m. (earplugs provided were not my style). Room was tiny, claustrophobic, window looked out on an airshaft, bathroom was smelly, looked like the restaurant bthroom in the back of a pizza shop and needed renovation. Didn't like having to register in the "saloon" at 8:30 pm.

The Bisbee Grand: We survived but wont be staying there again. There are other places in town we'd consider trying first.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank My_AZ
Granddame65, Owner at Bisbee Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2008
I wish people would tell when they find something not to there liking , we strive hard to accommodate people's needs but i need to know them to help them. If the bath was smelly i apologize sincerely and will look into this right away. It pains me when people don't have a good stay at our Hotel/saloon. The room describe must be #9 it is a single room that looks out on the air-shaft true. I must apologize for the bar noise but we make every effort to let people know that that room has some bar noise.. if you were not informed i am very sorry :(....
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
#3 of 9 in Tombstone
Audrey's  Inn
Audrey's Inn
#10 of 11 in Bisbee

Been to Bisbee Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!