“i loved it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Bisbee
Douglas Az
“i loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2008

i absolutely loved my stay at the bisbee grand hote...it was quite the experience alll the rooms have different themes the best is the old western suite...the bed is a covered wagon.....soo cool..i definitly recommend to everyone...

Stayed May 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
phoenix,az
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2008

We only stayed one night, but wish we could have stayed more. The room was small but cozy. The breakfast was good. I'm not sure what people are complaining about. There was plenty of choices and I left breakfast satisfied. I sat on the patio and talked to other guest, they all seemed happy with the rooms. It was loud when every one was heading back to the room, but that is something that I expected. We will come back soon!!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Maricopa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2008

The stay started off great, we were upgraded to a suite which was awesome. This was our first family trip with our infant.
our room was on the second floor which made it a little hard going up and down the stairs with a baby, stoller and bag. Breakfast sucked! The bagles were hard as rocks and the food looked like it was a week or two old. At night, there was a lady playing her guitar which was okay but we had to pass through a group of smokers to get to the lobby door. The noise from the bar made it hard to put our daughter to sleep. When we made the restervations, the lady insured us the room was quite and I let her know we were bringing an infant. We left early the second night cause we didn't want to be in the hotel anymore.
Also I thought it was weird we had to sign a paper for the things we cound not do (I.E. smoke, breaking stuff, no refunds.....)
I would not recommed this place to anyone

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank BlueandSailor
Granddame65, Owner at Bisbee Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2008
I am always very sad when someone who has stayed with us has had a less than stellar experience as me and my wife work very hard to make everything as perfect as we can. As far as our breakfast being "a week or two old" well that is just not true we put out fresh fruit, bagel's, yogurt and cheeses every morning. we never reuse old cheese's or Bagels (these or not rock hard). I have stayed in the Victorian suite many times myself and have never been able to hear the bar.. I guess you have super- human hearing...I myself upgraded these folks to the bigger suite for free as they did have an infant. I do not have control what people do on a public side walk i am sorry you had to ask smokers to move out of your way.. I can only say obviously we are not the Westin we are a historical hotel in a historical mining town. I am pained that you feel the need say so many untrue things about our hotel when we welcomed you, gave you a suite for free and did our best to take care of your needs.
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2008

My boyfriend and I loved the Bisbee Grand. We stayed in the covered wagon room, which was about the coolest thing ever. The hotel is centrally located, so we were able to park the car on Friday, and didn't get back in until Sunday. The room shared a wall with the bar, but the noise was muffled and didn't keep us up at all. We thought it was quaint that the clerk was also the bartender, and just generally loved the Bisbee Grand. Also, apparently the Victorian Room is haunted, so we're excited to go back and try to stay in that room as well. If you have little kids, they'll think the covered wagon is great!

I was a little trepedatious after reading the reviews, but as long as you understand that this is an OLD hotel, and that it's not going to have all the amenities of a Four Seasons, or even a Holiday Inn, you'll be fine. You should be staying here precisely because of the hotel's interesting history, and kitschy atmosphere.

• Liked — The historic building
  • Disliked — Hard water
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
azladynred
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2008

My Husband and I stayed in room 8 at the Bisbee Grand Hotel. We both enjoy going to ghost towns and staying in unique (and sometimes haunted) hotels. We had never been to Bisbee before this trip, so we were thrilled when we arrived. Bisbee is a wonderful place with plenty to see and do. The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. There was a delicious homemade breakfast of chocolate dipped pastries, pastry bars, bagels, fresh fruit, meats, and several choices of beverages (orange juice was chilly and tasty). The room itself was charming and had all of the qualities that I had hoped for in an antique building. Except that the mattress was modern and very comfortable. The queen sized bed itself was an impressive authentic brass bed with gorgeous marble balls and accents. I must admit, after reading some of the crummy reviews from other people on here, I was afraid of the noise from the bar below etc. I think whomever wrote those reviews were staying in a different hotel because we slept just fine and the "noise" wasn't even an issue. It was really a neat experience. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Excellent Abiance and Location To Shopping & Great Food
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank azladynred
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

We are two senior couples from York, Pennsylvania and Tucson, AZ who make a habit of almost never booking hotels in advance. We booked from the Queen Mine parking lot in Bisbee that February 18th Monday morning. We like something different than the average cookie cutter motel/hotel room when it is available. I had done some previous checking of accommodations via computer before leaving PA. However when my husband said the bath was down the hall and he was confused as to whether it was in or out of the Capitan's Suite, we said we wanted to see it first.

Research had prepared me for little parking however we forgot it was President's day, a long weekend and there was no parking even in the lot across from the hotel when we arrived. I was dropped off for inspection. Doors open directly off the street. I found a friendly "bartender" Ms. Laura, who directed me to the suite. Ms.Terri and Ms. Chris were cleaning and making beds. They cheerfully told me to just wander through. This huge suite contained a large front living/dining room, through french doors a good size room with queen bed, then an even larger room with king bed and down the hall, inside the same suite, a huge bath with clawfoot tub, shower, etc. Old yes, clean yes. Comfortable beds, warm blankets, extra pillows, lots of fluffy towels and plenty of hot water. At $194 including all taxes, Six could have slept with 2 on the sofabed. We thought it was very reasonable. We have spent more for less space and comfort.

When we finished touring that afternoon the parking lot was nearly empty. We had a lady who could not do stairs. All Bisbee is straight up so we lucked out with this first floor suite. A small problem. The 3 portable radiator type heaters blew some circuits. A cheerful Miranda fetched the repair man who immediately fixed that problem. She got us ice and invited us to take a self-guided tour of any room with open doors. The building is delightful old, old lady; each room has a different theme and ranges from quite small rooms with bath to very spacious suites.

The included continental breakfast was fresh, plentiful and tasty.
Coffee, juice, boiled eggs, cheese, yogurt, scones, english muffins, toast, luncheon meats, cereal, croissants and jellies. Real plates, cups and saucers and please help yourself.

We slept well, the staff was friendly, helpful and made us feel they were glad to had stopped there. We would recommend the Bisbee Grand to almost anyone.

I did notice that there were some very scruffy, homeless looking characters hanging on the street. There seemed a large number for the size of the town. Perhaps as walking tourists we were just more alert to them. Travelers should always be cautious.

Stayed February 2008
Wa State
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2008

Stayed at the BG in Jan. 2008. Rm. No. 1, right off of the main stairway. We also thought it was odd that the lobby was locked, and that the bartender was the hotel clerk, but not a big deal.
Since we had had a long trip, we turned in after dinner. Shortly before 8 pm, a large, noisy group of folks on some kind of a hotel tour came bounding up the stairs, led by a noisier, high-pitched tour leader. She told folks to look around and open any of the room doors - fortunately, ours was locked, and whomever jiggled the door handle didn't get in. After they left, my husband went to find the clerk to see if we could change rooms, but sorry! the desk was closed. So we settled in again...and low and behold! here comes another group just before 10 pm!
Between that, the harsh light coming through the transom all night, the paper thin door through which we could hear everyone coming up the stairs until 2 am, when the bar closed, we got no sleep and were really happy to leave - without touching the breakfast that looked like it had been set out on the table for a number of days.
One note: if you decide to stay here, be sure to get a room with a window. Ours only had an airshaft, and I noticed that although there were two fire escape routes posted on the door, both went out that way, so really only one escape.

• Liked — Room decor
  • Disliked — Lights, noise, no privacy
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bellg
Granddame65, Owner at Bisbee Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2008
We are very sorry you had a bad experience at the Hotel.. We have since stopped the ghost tours as they do not seem able to respect our requests for small quiet groups (once again we apologize for this) as for the lights from the hallway my staff has been told to set the lights at night (I guess I need to go down every night and do it myself) As for the breakfast (that i do set myself) You are very mistaken as to being left out for days and you very much offend me in this reguard i strive very hard to make set a very pleasing meal from german pastries fresh fruits yogurts and meats. (They are all placed daily and only left out during breakfast)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
#3 of 9 in Tombstone
Audrey's  Inn
Audrey's Inn
#10 of 11 in Bisbee

Been to Bisbee Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!