“Wonderful Hideaway in Bisbee”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bisbee
Calumet and Arizona Guest House
Ranked #9 of 14 Bisbee B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona
“Wonderful Hideaway in Bisbee”
Reviewed 1 June 2009

If you're looking for an elegant and comfortable place to stay during your next trip to Bisbee, head out beyond the downtown district to the section called Warren and stay at Calumet and Arizona Guest House.

Although Calumet B&B is not located in the center of Bisbee's historic district, for us it was ideally located in a relaxing neighborhood nearby. We had our standard poodle (named Bisbee!) with us, and hostess Joy made us all feel welcome. After touring and shopping in Bisbee, we were able to return to the quality atmosphere of the Calumet, to spend time in our suite or walk our dog along tree-lined streets, to a neighboring park and even a ball field.

The Calumet is a lovely place, with historic details and spotlessly clean rooms. We stayed in the Executive Suite, which was a large and modernly equipped suite adjacent to the main building. We were able to sit outside our room in a cool and cozy patio as we wished. Inside the suite was comfortably equipped with TV microwave, fridge, coffeemaker and walk-in shower. The king bed was a pleasure, and sitting areas around the suite made it all the more relaxing.

Hostess Joy did so much to make our visit a good one. Her breakfast, held in the Calumet's impressively set dining room, was delicious -- from the great coffee, to homemade jellies and hearty homemade french toast. Farm fresh eggs and delicious muffins rounded out such a tasty experience.

Before we left the Calumet, we sat outside with Joy in her beautiful garden, chatting about Bisbee, its character and history. What a great weekend -- We will return to the Calumet and to Joy's hospitality.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Monica_from_Tucson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
California
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I called for information and liked what I heard so I then arranged for an after-hours check-in which went without a hitch. I loved the design and accoutrements and found my room very clean, charming and comfortable. I took a peek at the unoccupied rooms and everywhere was wonderful period decor. The shared bath has a wonderful deep claw-foot tub. However it brought the only downside as my neighbors seemed to have no concept of how to courteously share a bathroom as they left their wet towels on the tub and the shower curtain bar and their toiletries strewn about leaving no place for mine. I haven't stayed at a B & B before, so I'm not sure how often that happens. Downstairs included a magnificently set formal dining room and a large salon. I spent some time in the library nook leafing through a smattering of genres including local birding, regional histories and novels from nearby authors and the baby grand in the corner on which I delighted in plunking while my fellow travelers played bridge. A quiet night was followed by a very delicious breakfast of choice which in my case was homemade quiche, bread and jam and fresh squeezed juice and fruit salad. I needed a quick checkout and was politely obliged. Given my late arrival and early departure I didn't have time to enjoy the attractive and appealing Arizona room or outdoor gardens which both offered sunny seating. Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely return on a future stay.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank SoCalTravelista
AZ
Reviewed 18 November 2008

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Calumet. Yes, it is somewhat quirky; that is why we visit Bisbee. If you are expecting a big city B&B, modern decor and quickly served breakfast, look elsewhere.

If you want "interesting decorating," (yes, more "foo foo" than my husband prefers,) clean bathrooms, a comfy bed, quiet neighborhood to walk, and a hostess who is most informative about the area, this is your place.

Our breakfasts were cooked to order and did take more time than a diner; that's what we like about B&B's. My husband started the coffee pot each a.m. and brought it up to our room: fine with us. NO MOLDY GROUNDS.

As for the dead cats in the window seat, for heaven's sake, get a grip, people. The two cats were the type with real fur you see in stores a lot: not my taste but certainly not former pets.

The restaurants recommended to us, The Roca and Roses Italian restaurant were both great. Our hostess called ahead and made reservations for us before we arrived so we could get the times we wanted.

We also took the 1 1/2 hour walking ghost tour one evening: very fun. Our "ghost host" enjoyed the history of Bisbee even more than the ghost stories which suited us fine. We would never have roamed alone in the city's dark nooks and crannies without a guide.

Overall, our stay was enjoyable. Bisbee is unique and the Calamut B&B fits the area. We saw a bumper sticker that summed it all up, "Keep Bisbee bizarre; support the fringe."

Travelers from AZ and OR

• Liked — unique atmosphere, location in neighborhood of historical homes
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AZORtravelers
Tucson
Reviewed 17 October 2008

This is the third time I have stayed at this B&B in 10 years' breadth of time. This time it was a "girlfriends' weekend," and we had a blast. The breakfast is fabulous; the guests are ALWAYS interesting; the premises are immaculate. I cannot imagine why anyone would pass a single negative comment on this website or elsewhere. Some of us are adventurers, and some of us are not!!!!

• Liked — Good coffee and great breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008
2 Thank travelgramma
NorthEast
Reviewed 24 September 2008

Like many B&B's, there was a strange vibe at the place, as if the owner was getting sick of owning and running house. The clutter didn't bother me, the no-wireless service was annoying (I was told on the phone that they had "the fastest is Bisbee"), the meals were fine, but what iced the cake was when I discovered the dog-poop in my room. I notified the owner, and it didn't raise an eyebrow or bat a lash. Dog poop. On the floor of my room. Poop on the carpet. Hello! I found the stay interesting, and recommend using the place only as a bedroom... don't hang around, don't talk to anyone, and grab breakfast in town. Did I mention that the elderly pet dog pooped in my room with no apology from the owner?

• Liked — Clean Arizona Air
  • Disliked — Creepy interior
  • Stayed March 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I am not sure what to make of this place. It's about five minutes from town and if I went to Bisbee again I would pay extra to stay in Old Town Bisbee. The Calumet house is decorated head to toe with "stuff" some of which is strange. For example, on the window ledge in the living room the owner has two of her dead cats stuffed in sleeping and stretching positions. In our room included magazines, pottery, a sample of makeup and two sample boxes of cereal, expired by a year. There was stuff like that everywhere. The magazines are really old, like from the 1980's. The Kleenex boxes just have toilet rolls underneath instead of tissues. I got up early, it wasn't time for breakfast, but I though I would make some coffee. There were used, moldy coffee grounds in the coffee maker. I thought I better not mess with it. When the cook got up she made the coffee with the old coffee grounds. It was so gross. Breakfast was alright. I don't know the whole place just a strange time warp.

• Liked — Hmmm...
  • Disliked — Those Dead cats...gross... it's just weird how they are in stretching positions fro peets sake
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AmyinVA
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Stayed here with my in-laws at Xmas 2004.
The place seemed to have a lot of work put into it by the owners. But as a younger person it just wasn't my style. I can't fault them for that.

There is a huge mining rock dump across the street

I do remember breakfast taking a very long time...

• Stayed December 2004, travelled with family
1 Thank Moody751
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
The Tombstone Grand Hotel
The Tombstone Grand Hotel
#4 of 9 in Tombstone
School House Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Calumet and Arizona Guest House? Share your experiences!