“Has a few kinks to work out, otherwise a good choice”
Review of Contessa's Cantina

Contessa's Cantina
Ranked #16 of 53 Restaurants in Bisbee
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Contessa's Cantina offers authentic Sonoran Mexican Cuisine. We have a great patio and are pet friendly. We are distinguished by our freshly made margaritas.
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have visited this place twice and have mixed feelings. First the good. . . . the food was pretty tasty, and the desserts are outrageously good. The service was quick and friendly. The place seemed to be very clean, and they do serve alcohol. The things I did not enjoy quite so much were the smaller details, like the wait staff was not familiar with the foods on the menu. We asked our server if a particular dish was ground beef, or if it was shredded beef. The server told us it was shredded. It was actually ground beef. I don't have a huge appetite at all, and I found the portions to be on the skimpy side. I was still hungry when I left, despite splitting a dessert with the other members of my group. Also, I felt the alcohol choices were skimpy. I really wanted an adult beverage with Skyy vodka, and they only had well vodka. They told me they normally carried my choice of Skyy, but just ran out that day. That happened both times I was there, despite the fact that my visits were several months apart. Otherwise, our experience was pleasant. Linen tablecloths and napkins, which I completely appreciate, friendly atmosphere. A little on the pricey side, but not too bad. Parking is sometimes an issue, as it is at most places in Old Bisbee. If I weren't handicapped, that would not matter, but there is no handicap parking, and there is at most maybe 8 spaces that are frequently being used by tourists for other reasons. I will definitely give the place another chance, and I think most people will enjoy their dining experience.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

The restaurant itself was split into different styles: Cantina, fine dining, old saloon/bar, patio.
We chose the Cantina area which had soft music and south western styled atmosphere.
Started off with the special they had on margaritas. Was very good. Fish taco not so much. Flan was tasty for our dessert.
Service was fast.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We had reservations on Valentine's day. We were given a choice between two tables that were both squashed into corners. We chose the quieter side. We were uncomfortably close to another family, I mean I could hear their whispers. The host was also our waiter as our waitress never arrived. He was very nice and enthusiastic. Our drinks took about 15 min to arrive. I was sure this was going to go badly but the food turned out delicious. Well seasoned and fresh. I ordered the steak fajitas. The portions were small. There was more peppers than meat, I would have liked more steak but nevertheless they were delicious. The margaritas were the best I've had in a long time. We ordered fried ice cream for dessert which was tasty. Reorganizing the layout of the tables and training the staff will help this restaurant be more successful

1  Thank binx224
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We went here for Valentines Dinner and from the time we arrived to the time we left it was nothing but painful. We had to wait to be seated and that was odd cause the place was about empty. Took 15 min to get our drinks and 10 min after that we finally got to order. At this point 40 min later we or should I say the couple we ate with received there food and so did my husband but forgot to cook mine. It took 25 min to cook my 3 rolled tacos after they got there's.. Of course time my food came they where done eating and watching me eat.. They did give us free ice cream but at that point I was upset.. They took forever to bring our check and was wondering if they wanted to be paid. Should have been free for the time we wasted just to eat mediocre food..
Skip this place and eat at the Screaming Banshee..

1  Thank Kmmpainter
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Three of us had supper there tonight. Fri Feb 7 2014 The town was delightful, and this cantina was a welcome reprieve after the our tombstone experience.

We were seated immediately, the music was authentic, the food even better, Had the Fajita's which were AWESOME, my husband had the Chimichanga which was super stuffed, and my mom enjoyed the special enchiladas with mole. Two beers, one soft drink, free chips and salsa appetizer. Bill was around $45.00.

Loved the owner,( Vanessa) and her family who took time to chat with us. Bisbee is a charming place and this cantina is a definite recommend.