“Comfortable, but could do with being updated”
Review of San Jose Lodge

San Jose Lodge
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Bisbee
Guelph, Canada
“Comfortable, but could do with being updated”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The motel room was clean and comfortable, but the decor is old and tired. There is precious little sound proofing. Someone insisted on leaving his monstrous truck running outside for a good ten minutes, and he might as well as parked inside our room!
Breakfast is not included, but the lodge has a restaurant (we did not try). There is a Safeway with a Starbucks just up the road.
The lodge is only a mile or so from the border. We could see the flood lit fence from the entrance.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
SanJoseLodge, Manager at San Jose Lodge, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate it. Due to the slow economy it has effected lots of small border towns. However we are trying our best to keep it updated as best as we can with the service. With the freeze last year it has put us back a little and with insurance involved in the job it is delaying us to get the property fixed up. However we are in the process and sure hope we will be able to update soon.
Thank you and hope to see you again soon.
San Jose Lodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 March 2012

When I first arrived at this hotel, I have to admit I was a little worried. It's located about 8 minutes away from Bisbee and there isn't alot around it (as far as food is concerned). I was traveling with my parents and we got separate rooms. Because I was with older people, they didn't want to stay in Bisbee due to the "crowds" and they thought it would be too noisy (which I've read is the case). So, we got rooms here.

The room was fine. I must admit I was a little scared at first to stay in a room alone. There is only one level and everywhere you travel in the surrounding area warns you about drug trafficking so I didn't like being downstairs with a window. Once I realized the Border Patrol was directly behind us, I felt better. The bed wasn't too comfortable, the sheets were stained, the walls were thin and the bathroom was pretty small. But, like I said before, I've been to better hotels and I've been to worse. There aren't a lot of options in the area, but if I ever go to Bisbee again, I'll stay in town.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
SanJoseLodge, Manager at San Jose Lodge, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our motel. The stories we hear about are not on the bisbee border and they are only stories. Infact it is the safest city in Arizona. Bathroom is average size for the room. Windows have locks on them and a safety lock if you wanted to keep it open appx 1 inch to let in fresh area. Ground level and parking in front of the room to make it convenient. If you stay in down town then its street parking and stairs. We do have restaurant on site which serves mexican and american food and a lounge. I sure do hope that you will choose us in the future if and when you come down to Bisbee.
Reviewed 10 February 2012

evertime my family goes were happy.they give u lots on your plate and everything was real fresh.im verry pleased.

• Stayed June 2011
SanJoseLodge, Manager at San Jose Lodge, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank you for giving us the opportune to be of service to you. We hope to see you soon in the near future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We have been coming here for the past 5 years and always have stayed at San Jose Lodge. The rooms are clean, the management is courteous and pleasent. Always enjoy the ambiance of the motel. I prefer to stay outside of the Old Bisbee because it is so noisy and conjusted there. We like the quiteness and cleanliness of the place. They also have a pool & the resturant is on site so makes it very convienent. Enjoyed the stay................

Room Tip: ask for the newer rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Gold Canyon, Arizona
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Enjoyed very much the ambiance in the motel. Management was very helpful. Room were clean and well maintained, and reminded me of traveling in my younger days. The breakfast at the restaurant was great. We wilol stay there again! Dinner at Rosies a real adventure but make reservations way ahead of time.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Reviewed 17 February 2010

We didn't have reservations to stay in Bisbee, as we decided to find a place when we got there. We are glad we didn't stay in Old Bisbee as the reviews say it's pretty noisy at all the historic hotels. We found this place and were very happy with how quiet and clean the place was and I'm pretty picky! We had a nice big king bed that was moderately comfortable, and with clean bedding! The bathroom is extremely tight. I decided to take a bath to get relaxed before going to bed and the water continually leaked so I had to keep the water slightly on in order to have a full tub. That was the only "problem" with the room, which was nothing! We thought it was pretty cool that we were only 1.5 miles from the border. We could see the border fence lights from the entrance. The border patrol office is right down the road. Out of the 3 places we stayed in our AZ travels, this was our favorite. When we come back to Bisbee, we will stay here again!

The diner is a different story...
The drink special was strawberry daiquiri or margarita, which was mostly crushed ice. Our friend ordered one on the rocks and he said it had an odd (I think sour) flavor. His wife tried his drink and grimaced. I ordered a Mexican dish that ended up so hot I couldn’t eat more than one bite. Thankfully my husband traded with me, but it was even too hot for him, but he choked it down. My girlfriend tried a bite and was also shocked at how spicy it was. When the waitress came by and asked if everything was all right, I mentioned it, her reply was… “Well, this is a Mexican restaurant, most people ask for it to be hotter” and then she walked off. I was shocked! I didn’t ask her to take it back. Don’t ask for feedback if you don’t want it! When we come back to the motel, we will NOT be eating at the diner!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
SEATTLE, WA
Reviewed 21 November 2009

I chose to stay on the outskirts of Bisbee in order to have wi-fi services and parking.

Although the rates for a single room with a double bed was reasonable at $55, I was concerned that my room did not have a security or a chain lock inside the room and the screen on the window had been torn.

I also did not have a great sense of cleanliness after staying at other places like a Holiday Inn but there is a mom and pop type restaurant on site with good prices.

On a scale of 1 to 5, this is a 2 star motel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank QUEENANNEGRL

Travellers are raving about these Bisbee hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
The Inn at Castle Rock
The Inn at Castle Rock
#6 of 13 in Bisbee
School House Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to San Jose Lodge? Share your experiences!