“Gross , not worth the stop”
Review of Chilleen's on 17

Chilleen's on 17
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Maricopa , Arizona
“Gross , not worth the stop”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We have seen this place a few times during recent travels. Decided to stop with the family. Cute place I guess, nothing unusual and exactly like any other western themed bar/restaurant in AZ really . We had lunch. We had the pulled pork sandwich w/ fries. The BBQ sauce had a semi sweet flavor to it , but otherwise nondescript. The pork was dried out - looked as though it had been sitting out actually, was lukewarm . There was a very long white piece of bacon fat mixed in (flavor?) . My daughter had a grilled chicken sandwich . Took two bites could not eat any more very dry and it tasted off , there was also some kind of cheese melted over the top of it . Son had the Chicken strips not sure what part of the chicken they were made of however one strip had a ton of breading that covered nothing but tendon literally couldn't cut through it with a knife . The fries that came with the meals ( all 3) were frozen and steakcut style. Service was friendly but very slow. I am not sure what it was before the "Bar Rescue" but I seriously cannot imagine it being worse than what we were just served... cold, nasty food. 3 meals w/ 2 sodas and a water for $30.00 - seriously????

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Laura S

Flagstaff, Arizona
“Worst BBQ I've had in years”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I grew up in AZ, it will never be a bbq capitol of the world, but decent bbq can be had--but not here. The service was friendly, the decor is nice, great porch if the weather is suitable. The food is inexcusable. I can forgive that the sauce (strange aftertaste, too sweet, but not the worlds worst sauce) was put on the meat in advance, they do that in AZ sometimes, but the meat itself was nasty. The pork ribs were the best, but dried out and since the rack was separated I struggled to figure out how they were cut. The brisket was in the middle, over cooked and dry but still partner and I were able to choke almost half down. The chicken, terrible, overcooked even the dark meat was dry, I think it might have been starting to rot since it had an odd flavor but it didn't make me sick. None of the q had a rub on it at all and it appears that it was just thrown in a smoker until someone figured they could dump sauce on it. The sides were at best boring. Not sure but I think the cowboy beans came from a can and the slaw was a mix. The coffee was nondescript, first pot old and burnt, second pot just blah. The ice tea seemed fresh, partner didn't like it but I thought it was fine. No bread with the meal. For what it was, prices were quite high. I'll never be back.

• Visited February 2014
Prescott, Arizona
“Interesting Place.....”
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Passed this place hundreds of times. Decided to finally stop for lunch....had brisket sandwich with fries. It was okay. Not the best or worst I have ever had. Service was good. I would stop again.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank Bruce H
Show Me Missouri
“Bar Rescue Success”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

When we heard that Chilleen's on 17 was close to our vacation area and heard it had been on Bar Rescue, we had to go in. We are glad we did! Not sure what it had exactly looked like before but the decor was nice. People were very friendly and service was great. The food was fantastic!!! The servings were huge and well prepared. If you are ever in that area, I would recommend it. It's off of 17 and just follow the signs.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank dunhamr
NORTHERN AZ
“Still needs to be rescued...”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband and I had been to Chilleen's once before the "Bar Rescue" and remembered the food and service as being pretty good. He is a big fan of the show and has been wanting to go back, expecting it to be even better than before. It was not. We both ordered the pulled pork sandwich. First of all, the portions were the skimpiest I've ever had in a decent restaurant. The meat was just barely enough to cover the bun and he was given only a handful of fries. I wanted a baked potato and we were told it would be 99 cents extra, then it was the smallest tater I had ever seen on restaurant plate! So, why the extra charge? The pork, rather than being "pulled", tender and juicy, was just dry, hard ends and pieces chopped up with sauce on it. I actually had something that looked like a piece of bacon on my sandwich. A dried, hard piece of bacon... or maybe shoe leather! I wish now that I'd taken a picture of it. The only thing that was passable was the coleslaw. It was creamy and had a good flavor but, again, the portion was on the small side.
The most annoying thing, though, was the waitress. As soon as she set the plates down she said, "Looks good, huh guys?" What are you supposed to say, "Yeah, if you like only about 8 fries???" Then, she asked us several times during the meal if it was good. But, the way she said it was like she expected you to say that it was great! I finally answered that it was OK. She said, "Just OK?" and I said, "Yes, just OK." After that, she went away and did not cone back till she brought the check. I guess she went fishing for compliments at other tables.
Chilleen's now has their "story" on every table. It tells about how they came to be on Bar Rescue and how well they're doing now. It says they added a smoker in the kitchen which gives them the "ability to make the best BBQ in AZ." Sorry guys, not even close! :-(

• Visited January 2014