“They are trying but not there yet”
Review of Chilleen's on 17

Chilleen's on 17
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The bar was the subject of a 'Rescue" TV show in 2013 - was near bankruptcy. It is OK, but sign says "Award Winning BBQ" and it isn't. Waitress was extremely friendly and helpful. Decor looked like it had been updated. Brisket was moist, with the appropriate amount of marbling - BUT, it had very little smoked flavor. My wife had the brisket sandwich and it at little more smoked flavor. I would say this an OK place to stop if you need to eat in Black Canyon CIty, but there are better spots in No. Phoenix and just up highway 69 towards Prescott from I-17.

2  Thank hankwill

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Dined here with friends after seeing this place on Bar Rescue TV program. It should be a rustic whole in the wall location with great food but unfortunately they only got it half right. It is a querky saw dust atmosphere but the food was not great by any means. Our table ordrered the ribs and chicken combo. The ribs were unremarkable and the chicken dry. On a positive note the waitress was freindly and attentive.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We have seen this place a few times during recent travels. Decided to stop with the family. Cute place I guess, nothing unusual and exactly like any other western themed bar/restaurant in AZ really . We had lunch. We had the pulled pork sandwich w/ fries. The BBQ sauce had a semi sweet flavor to it , but otherwise nondescript. The pork was dried out - looked as though it had been sitting out actually, was lukewarm . There was a very long white piece of bacon fat mixed in (flavor?) . My daughter had a grilled chicken sandwich . Took two bites could not eat any more very dry and it tasted off , there was also some kind of cheese melted over the top of it . Son had the Chicken strips not sure what part of the chicken they were made of however one strip had a ton of breading that covered nothing but tendon literally couldn't cut through it with a knife . The fries that came with the meals ( all 3) were frozen and steakcut style. Service was friendly but very slow. I am not sure what it was before the "Bar Rescue" but I seriously cannot imagine it being worse than what we were just served... cold, nasty food. 3 meals w/ 2 sodas and a water for $30.00 - seriously????

1  Thank Laura S
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I grew up in AZ, it will never be a bbq capitol of the world, but decent bbq can be had--but not here. The service was friendly, the decor is nice, great porch if the weather is suitable. The food is inexcusable. I can forgive that the sauce (strange aftertaste, too sweet, but not the worlds worst sauce) was put on the meat in advance, they do that in AZ sometimes, but the meat itself was nasty. The pork ribs were the best, but dried out and since the rack was separated I struggled to figure out how they were cut. The brisket was in the middle, over cooked and dry but still partner and I were able to choke almost half down. The chicken, terrible, overcooked even the dark meat was dry, I think it might have been starting to rot since it had an odd flavor but it didn't make me sick. None of the q had a rub on it at all and it appears that it was just thrown in a smoker until someone figured they could dump sauce on it. The sides were at best boring. Not sure but I think the cowboy beans came from a can and the slaw was a mix. The coffee was nondescript, first pot old and burnt, second pot just blah. The ice tea seemed fresh, partner didn't like it but I thought it was fine. No bread with the meal. For what it was, prices were quite high. I'll never be back.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Passed this place hundreds of times. Decided to finally stop for lunch....had brisket sandwich with fries. It was okay. Not the best or worst I have ever had. Service was good. I would stop again.

4  Thank Bruce H