“Wonderful Place to Recover from Surgery”

Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carefree
Waimea, Hawaii
“Wonderful Place to Recover from Surgery”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The Mayo Clinic is nearby, so I came to The Boulders to recover from eye surgery. It was the perfect place, great food, beautiful grounds - the desert was in bloom - and friendly staff. The spa was wonderful, custom fresh juices and excellent menu. I got a tan while I healed from the surgery and got in a lot of walking on the many paths around the 1300 acre resort. Great views from second floor casitas!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

TheBouldersCarefree, Manager at Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Carol W,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We hope that your eye surgery was a success and that we were able to make your recovery as relaxing as possible. We so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was our first, and last, stay at The Boulders and we chose it because of the location to our friends we were visiting. We had just spent 4 days at the Wynn in Vegas, which is beyond top notch, so maybe my let down feeling was partially because of the back to back comparison, but I was expecting much more from this property. It's not all bad by any means. The grounds are beautiful, the private casitas with views were nice, the spa looked really nice (although I didn't have a chance to try it out) and the bellman service was great! It was really helpful to also be able to text when something was needed, versus call. The downside for us was no pool service, or even allowing food/drink at the pool, as we intended on having friends come spend the day there with us to relax, and the biggest shock of all were the three little creatures we found on our second night's stay....cockroaches. Yes, I said cockroaches. Never in a million years would I have thought this would be an issue. After bringing it to their attention, they did move us to another room, and credited our account $50 but everyone said they had NEVER had this issue before, which I'm not sure I believe since I have since found other reviews which state the problem as well. Again, I appreciate the room move, but have to say I wasn't completely comfortable the rest of the trip for fear of bringing them home with me. I'm not one to complain, but this particular stay left a very bitter taste in my mouth for almost $300/night including resort fees which doesn't include pool service. I imagine it's a fabulous location if you're a golfer, and I would have giving it an average rating had it not have been for the bugs. All in all, very disappointed.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adamsfamily520
TheBouldersCarefree, Manager at Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear AdamsFamily520,

Thank you for your kind comments with regards to the beauty, that is The Boulders. We are deeply sorry for the disappointments you encountered and offer our sincere apologies for the lapse in service you received and the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.
It is our true desire to extend a relaxing and tranquil stay to all who visit, and we truly regret letting you down as our guest.

We are most grateful for sharing your candid comments and assure you we take the issue of pest control very seriously.

With our renewed apologies,
The Boulders Team
Indianapolis
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I spent the week after christmas here with my parents 2013/2014. I am giving it a rating of excellent because my entire experience was sublime, serene, rejuvenating, restoring. I did golf with my father in the evening and it was fun especially with all of the quail and bunnies scurrying around the course. The spa, which is where we spent much of the time, was perfect! The pool was quiet and big enough to swim laps. My mom and I took a water exercise class with Dorothy (who was fantastic!!!). It was challenging enough for me as a fit and athletic person but my mom was able to participate and was encouraged to push beyond her self imposed limits. The facilities were top-notch and the food was healthy and delicious. The spa services as well were the best that I have had anywhere! There was only 1 aspect of The Boulders that I would like to see changed. I would like to see vegetarian, lighter and more healthful options on the menus of all the restaurants. The spa was the only place to get this type of food but it was only open for breakfast and lunch. Otherwise it was a great place and one of a handful of places that I would return multiple times.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear ElsieBean,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your Christmas vacation with us, and were able to experience all we have to offer from our world-class golf, to our amazing Waldorf Astoria Spa and complimentary fitness classes, to our spacious accommodations and wonderful staff. We hope you enjoyed your family vacation with us, and we look forward to your return!
Nyc
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed a few nights at The Boulders as the next to last leg of a 10 day Nevada/Arizona. Whirlwind trip. We were very impressed. We were told by the bellhop that the resort was 90 percent full but you would never have known it. The place was quiet and relaxing. We do not golf, but looking at the beautiful perfect golf courses I was tempted to start. We did walk miles everyday through the paths lined with cactus and all forms of nature. Service was excellent and friendly ( not that false overly friendly but nice good mornings and helpful ). We stayed in a Casita. The best room on the trip. Large, good beds, huge bathroom ( Tub and shower.), large deck and a fireplace. The only negative to the stay was the food options. We arrive Wed. Night to find the main restaurant closed. We ended up at the Spotted Donkey, a Mexican place in a small mall associated with the resort. The food was subpar ( would have rather had been at a chili's). We had breakfast and lunch at The Grill which was very nice and dinner at the Main restaurant which was OK. We did not use the spa but toured it and it looked impressive. All in all a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Get an second floor casita if you do not mind stairs
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve P
Maine, USA
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We just came back from a four night stay at the Boulders and LOVED it! I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone who enjoys a private, outdoorsy, and relaxed property with lots of pools, tennis courts, and restaurants. The rooms are actually in casitas spread all throughout the property so you almost feel like you have the whole place to yourself even though the hotel is really large.

The staff and valet were really nice and friendly! We received a free upgrade to an absolutely gorgeous hotel room.

The tennis courts are awesome, there is a cushion court, a hard court, and a clay court. We took a lesson with the tennis pro and it was a lot of fun and super helpful.

There are lots of trails both on and off the property for walking and hiking.

There is a bakery that is part of the property, but slightly off-site that I would recommend if you want to grab a quick breakfast.

I would definitely recommend the Boulders for both relaxation and activity!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Minneapolis
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is the second visit to The Boulders from my husband and I. We decided that after 3 years of no vacation, we'd go to the Boulders again because it was so wonderful the first time we went. Well, not this time! We visited in January, 2014 and it was horrible. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, we were treated like garbage. The young agent at check in had a serious attitude and did not make us feel welcome. The room was nice, but when you go in the off season, it's all about service. The WORST part of our stay was when we went for breakfast at a property breakfast place and the server was SO rude! She waited on everyone else, but not us. She made us pick up our own order from the kitchen and brought everyone else's to their tables. I mean, it was the craziest experience. All the resort would do was to comp our breakfast (which tasted horrible). I'd recommend going to Camelback Inn - more amenities and better service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa D
TheBouldersCarefree, Manager at Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Melissa D,

Once again we extend our thanks and appreciation for your valuable feedback. We deeply regret the shortcomings you experienced during your January stay at The Boulders Resort and ask you to please accept our most sincere apologies. We strive to provide all who visit with a relaxing and tranquil stay, and we deeply regret letting you down as our guest.

We are most grateful you took the time to bring these shortcomings to our attention and allow us to provide additional service training to our Team Members. It is our great hope we will have the opportunity to tell you how very sorry we are in person and discuss the numerous disappointments you encountered.

With our renewed apologies,

The Boulders Team
New York, NY
Reviewed 27 April 2014

One of the best places I have stayed recently and I travel on average 2-3 trips a month for business. The spa facilities are hands down top 3 I have ever seen. The rooms are very warm and comfortable with great outdoor areas for each room. The smallest downfall I would say was the staff. Our rooms weren't ready on time and no one seemed bothered to offer us a drink or anything as we waited in the lobby. The golf cart bellman made sure to tell me they don't get much of the cut of fees - hint hint tip him - whereas the front desk gives you the opposite message. I would go back again as the grounds makes up for any service imperfections.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carefree
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley

Been to Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!