“Do not buy the upgrade”

Chandler Southgate Hotel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Chandler
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Dissapointed. On there website it offers an upgrade to a business suite for a bit more money. I chose this. When we checked it I asked about where the room was located and realized we were on the same level as the freeway right next to the hotel. I asked for a different location and the person at the desk said ok, I would not want to look at the freeway either. We did get a courtyard view, the room was small. Not a suite, after traveling all day, we didn't want to change rooms. At check out, I said I was curious if this room was a suite upgrade, what were the other rooms like, the response was, you did get the robe and slippers right? That's not worth the upgrade charge,save your money. We later booked a room for our return night in Phoenix on priceline and got a excellent room at a 5 star resort for the same rate as this average hotel.

Stayed: April 2012
SisiRChandlerAZ, Front Office Manager at Chandler Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Thank you for your valuable feedback and we do appreciate your time in assisting us to provide an above and beyond experience for our guests. I do apologize for the confusion with your upgrade and would be more than happy to speak with you directly regarding this experience. Please feel free at your earliest convenience to contact me at the hotel so we may make this right.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here three nights with my daughters in early April while vacationing in the area. Everything was adequate. The room was clean enough but there were signs of age in the room and bathroom. A little rust on some of the fixtures in bathroom and a couple of outlet covers were broken or falling off. Breakfast was OK but not really worth the price. We would probably stay at a hotel with continental breakfast next time. The staff was friendly and the pool area was great and grounds in general were nice. If one is staying for a night or two this hotel is OK for the price.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My son decided he wanted to go up to Phoenix and visit the Science Museum for his birthday last October and stay at a nice hotel. I chose this place.

It's not that it was bad, but it didn't live up to the Radisson name. Check in staff was pleasant and quick. Rec'd my upper level room as requested so that always makes me happy. The lobby was nice and clean and looked inviting even though we never took advantage of it.

The room was your basic room. Two beds, flat screen television, bathroom well stocked with towels (one of the few times I haven't had to request more), the soaps and shampoos were lovely.

The beds.....Sleep Number beds. Ewww! They were fun in that if you get them pretty deflated and sit your 7 year old daughter on it then have your husband quickly sit down next to her watching her fly upwards is a hoot! These beds, in our opinion are the most uncomfortable things in the world! We found our number but it would deflate on us so there we were blowing it back up. It was worse then an air mattress.

The pool area was at the time under a little construction but nothing terrible. Now the pool itself, ugh. It was supposed to be heated. It wasn't. The spa/jacuzzi was just a few degrees above body temperature. And it was bubble-less. The jets were weak and only one put out semi-warm water. Pretty dissapointing for my husband and myself but the lunatic children found the pool and jacuzzi loads of fun and really that's all that mattered since it was my son's birthday.

A decent stay at a decent price. It was a Hotwire purchase so while it was a great deal for me I cannot imagine paying more then $45 a night for this place.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
SisiRChandlerAZ, Front Office Manager at Chandler Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2012

Hello and Thank you for all of your considerate and helpful feedback to us here at Radisson Chandler, I am delighted to hear you and your family came to visit us for your visit to the Science Museum. Our front desk staff is always here to ssist and make every guest feel welcome so I am pleased to hear we were able to meet your needs during this stay.

I do apologize for your concerns with the pool/jacuzzi we have alerted the proper departments and have taken the necessary steps to ensure all of our guests have a above and beyond experience while visiting us. I also noticed the sleep number was not up to standards while you visited and I would like to speak with you directly in regards to the few concerns you did have.

If you could contact me at your earliest convenience so that I may ensure your next visit to our area/hotel is a perfect "10" experience I would greatly appreciate it.

Front Office Manager
Radisson Phoenix/Chandler

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Everything about this place screamed average. Nothing about it stuck out as anything special. I walked into my room and there was a microwave oven just laying in the middle of the floor. Odd. The room was only somewhat clean and the place needs a bit of a sprucing up. If you're looking for a place to crash for the night, it's okay if you get a good deal on the room. It's otherwise nothing to get excited about.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
SisiRChandlerAZ, Front Office Manager at Chandler Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Thank you for your time in providing feedback for us here at Radisson Chandler, I do apologize for your stay not being up to standard. We strive to provide each one of oue guests with an exceptional experience. Please feel free to contact me personally at the property to discuss your concerns that happend during your stay I would like to ensure all of our guests get an above average experience each visit.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

My daughters and I stayed one night here in feb. to visit our family that lives in the area. We loved our room, it was a suite and was perfect for the 3 of us. Very clean, with a very comfy bed & pillows and they also give you more items then the regular hotel as far as bathroom items which I appreciate. And we also enjoyed the pool and hot tub. Kids eat free with paying adult for breakfast which was another bonus! The staff were all friendly. Will most likely stay here again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
CHAZ7475, General Manager at Chandler Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Thanks for taking the time to fill out these great comments. I am happy to hear you had a great stay with you and your family. Our amenities including the pool/hot tub and restaurant/lounge are great for a leisure stay with or without your family. We hope to see you back when you return to the Phoenix Chandler area.

Ted Trembath

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I travel on business more than 60 nights a year, so I understand that not all rooms are going to be perfect. However, this was downright repulsive. I would never stay here again just based on the fact of cleanliness.

My reservation was for January 27th. I checked into the hotel at 3:45am because of a much delayed flight. Since I was traveling with my older mom and it was late at night, I had her stay in the car while I took some of our bags to the room. When I went into the room to drop off the bags, I found that our bathroom had used soap in the soap dish with the soap paper laying on the counter and a used towel. At this point I went down to the front desk and asked for a new room. Jeremyah was very accommodating and gave me a new room. I took our bags to the new room which looked fairly clean. I went to get my mom and the rest of our bags from the car so we could get settled for bed. By this time it is about 4:15. We unpacked and got ready for bed after a very long day.

My mom laid down on the bed because she was so tired from the long day. Finally, with everything unpacked I was ready to go to bed. I started to get into bed when I noticed hair on my pillows---public hair. Ok, I know a stray hair can be found occasionally, but I usually don't find this type or this many. I called the front desk to get new pillow cases and Jeremyah asked me if I wanted a new room. I told him "thank you but we are exhausted, unpacked and it is almost 5am in the morning". He told me he would send some pillowcases. I returned to check the rest of the bed only to find the sheets full of pubic hair. I called the front desk again to ask for bed sheets, too. A few minutes later the night engineer came to our room with the pillow cases and sheets. He helped us change the sheets and as we did so we noticed the duvet was also full of hair. He said he would take that as well and left us with the insert of the duvet. The night engineer was very disgusted and as he left said that he could offer us a free breakfast for our trouble. That was thoughtful however, it was now about 5:30am and I just wanted to get a few hours of sleep and get out of the hotel.

My mom was very upset with the fact that she was lying in a bed full of pubic hair and I must say this was the most repulsive thing I have ever run into in my hotel stays. By the looks of this bed I don't think these sheets have been changed in quite a while. EWW and YUCK! Enough said I think you get the picture.

A few hours later we got up, took a quick shower, packed up and left the hotel. After I had my mom in the car I went back to the front desk to talk to them about the night we had experienced. I asked to talk with a manager but one was not available. I ended up talking with the sales manager. First I wanted to tell him how helpful Jeremyah was and that I truly appreciated his help. Next, I didn't want to embarrass him as there were guests at the front desk, so I just waited until the guests were gone and told him of the hair issue to let them know they have a housekeeping problem. His face made such a funny disgusted look that I had to giggle. He promptly asked the for the front desk manager and he began to tell her about what happened. She stopped him in mid-sentence and said she already knew about it and had already started the process of trying to reverse the charges from Priceline. (By the way this was the first time I ever used Priceline and it will be the last). She said it may take a couple of days to get the charges reversed and there may be a possiblily Priceline may not do it. I thought that she was being very proactive and thanked her. She said please contact her if it does not go through.

Well almost a month has passed and I have yet to see a reverse charge. I called the hotel, left a message for the property manager and have not received a call back yet. Right now I would never stay at this property. All I can say is "EWWW".

FYI: Priceline asked me for a review shortly after my stay which I did. However, interestingly it has not appeared in the comments section while others after my date have been posted. Hmmm.

Room Tip: Check out the bed and room before you unpack.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Susan A
SisiRChandlerAZ, Front Office Manager at Chandler Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

I want to express my deepest and sincerest apologies for this incident and I do understand your dissatisfaction with the nature of this event. Something like this is not up to high standard. I would appreciate if you would return a call to our hotel as I have spoken with Priceline and completed the rebate as discussed. Priceline will also contact you to validate the rebate submitted. I do apologize for the delay in this matter. I am pleased to hear our agent Jeremiah and Engineering staff were empathetic and able to assist in any way possible in a timely manner. I hope you except our apologies and we will ensure this will not be a future issue. We do value your relationship with us and would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed here for one night in late January 2012. The staff was helpful, good recommendation for Mexican food. The pool/hot tub offered a nice break at the end of the day. Rooms were clean, up to date, and well priced. You can tell that they updated an older hotel, but they’ve done a fine job. The location is great for easy access to the freeway system.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
SisiRChandlerAZ, Front Office Manager at Chandler Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

On behalf of the staff here at Radisson Chandler we want to extend our greatest sentiments for your kind words. I am glad to hear our location has been benefical to your travel needs and that our hotel/staff have met your expectations. If there is anything we can do to enhance your next stay please let us know. It is our pleasure to have you at Radisson Chandler.

Front Office Manager