“Bad Decision”

Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Chandler
Bullhead City, Arizona
“Bad Decision”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I am typing this letter as both a parent & chaperone for Special Olympic Athletes. We stayed at the Radisson Hotel 7475 Chandler Blvd in PHX/Chandler on 3/27-28th during the SO Basketball & Cheer tourney. I was saddened & appalled by the segregation we received. There were 5 groups of SO athletes staying at the hotel consisting of 15-20 kids & chaperones/coaches per group. I’m not positive, but I think the number of our Special Olympic athletes far outweighed the number of other guests at the hotel for the weekend.
Upon check in we were told that breakfast was from 6-10 am.
Friday morning we went downstairs & got in line for the awesome looking breakfast buffet consisting of several kinds of fruit, 4 kinds of dry cereal, 4 carafes of milk, 3 types of bread to make as toast, pancakes with 2 kinds of syrup, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, corned beef hash & 4 different kinds of juices to choose from. At that time we were asked for our vouchers. When I handed them to the server she looked at them & told me that we were being served in another room & that this buffet was for the “OTHER” guests & directed me & my two athletes around the corner to a room where “OUR” breakfast buffet was at.
Our buffet layout was 1/3rd the size & had only a two choices of dry cereal, an empty carafe of milk, one kind of fruit, bacon container, scrambled eggs & pancakes with one kind of syrup. The bacon dish was empty with just crumbs, the syrup container was empty. I asked the server in the room if they were bringing out more bacon & that the milk & syrup was empty and wanted to know if they were bringing out more. She said, “I don’t know let me check with my manager”. This was at about 7:40am. A few minutes later they brought out & replenished the empty containers & a different lady (I guess the manager) asked me if everyone had come down to eat. I informed her that there were still most of our group that hadn’t been down yet but wasn’t sure about the other groups that were there. She told me they were closing this buffet down at 8 (in about 15 minutes) to which I replied “Oh I guess they can go to the other buffet”? She told me that was for the “Other Guests” and then said something that both shocked me & angered me. “I don’t know how you put up with “THESE PEOPLE” I just don’t have the patience for “THESE KINDS OF PEOPLE”
In closing, I think that our complaints were heard, because the following morning our athletes were treated much better & allowed access to the buffet for all the guests. Overall I was very disappointed & saddened at the treatment. I don’t know who made the decision to segregate us, but it was bad form! I feel it very important to let the people know how we were treated.
Respectfully yours…..
Donald W Coen

Room Tip: Heard of several complaints about the A/C in several rooms. Its Arizona & it wasn't even tha...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Donniecus
RadGM, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Phoenix / Chandler, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Mr. Coen,

I regret that you walked away from our hotel with that impression. I can assure you that quite the opposite is true. We work very hard and directly with the Special Olympics organizers to give your athletes a special buffet based on requested dietary restrictions and selections. Due to the large numbers of competitors eating at the same time; and at the request of Special Olympics we moved the custom buffets into a banquet setting to assure a timely completion of breakfast and increasing your ability to depart on time for your competition. This upgraded breakfast service is provided by the Radisson Hotel and added to the room package because of our strong relationship with the Special Olympics organization.

I do apologize that our staff was unable to communicate this properly to you on site on those mornings. We did not have the banquet space the second day, which is why the set-up was modified on the weekend due to a different mix of business effecting the timing and usage of the main dining room. I can assure you that our staff loves to serve this special group along with all the variety of guests that we serve on a weekly basis and I will work with the team on how they communicate the custom buffets that we offer large groups of hotel guests.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to speak further regarding your experience.

Ted Trembath – Regional General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Nice staff, clean room, just one complaint... I didn't like the sleep number bed. Everything else was great! I could not find my correct number. The pool was very refreshing. I spend the whole weekend out, yes the bikes fired up early, but it was a bikers event. Lots of love and food.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the nice staff, pool and clean rooms. I apologize the Sleep Number bed was not to your liking. I look forward to your next stay.
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Wish we had more than one night at this hotel. It was quiet and clean. Liked the large bathroom counter and the 2 suitcase carpeted storage bench. Great desk for working. The pool in the inner courtyard looked so inviting but we just didn't have time. Easy drive to the airport in the morning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DuncanMusicman
RadGM, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Phoenix / Chandler, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Radisson Phoenix Chandler. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location and cleanliness of your room. I hope you can come back and visit us again to enjoy all of our amenities like that great courtyard pool area!
Best Wishes,
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel and staff was really nice room Jr. suite great but.........there was a kids soccer group in town for a tournament or such. The children ran wild while many parents sat around (fathers and mothers) the fireplace with their bottles of wine/booze tucked under their arms . They let the kids ran up and down in the lobby very disruptive. I felt sorry for the staff who had to put up with the noise and disruption. Will ask next if any kids groups are booked when I stay again.

Room Tip: The junior suite was nice. Restaurant was lacking in choices and or menu. prices high for menu offer...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I apologize that you had to experience the other families behaving inappropriately in our hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our staff and the Junior Suite room. I hope you can come join us again when there isn't the same type of hotel traffic in the lobby.
Best wishes,
Cloquet
Reviewed 28 February 2014

As a partner in the Carlson Properties, I expected more. It didn't start out well when as a Silver Elite member, I had requested an suite. We were to be there for 3 nights, but ended up cancelling as we were not happy with the accommodations given. I was given a bit of a run around from the front desk on how to be reimbursed for my Club Carlton points; I called Club Carlson in the a.m. and was told the Radisson should have taken care of it. We did spend one night, as we were worn out from a hectic day. The room is one that staff said was remodeled, but it left a lot to be desired for a Radisson. Supposedly a non-smoking room, but it was pretty easy for a non-smoker to smell smoke. Then they attempt to deodorize and it only makes it worse. Sorry, but the Sleep Number bed is a joke, it felt like we were sleeping on a glorified air mattress. Noisy, noisy hotel. There was at least one group there I was aware of and pretty sure they thought they ran the property. Not sure if it was poor timing on our part or just a poor hotel, but will not stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
SisiRChandlerAZ, Operations Manager at Radisson Hotel Phoenix / Chandler, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Pasadena, California
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

No rooms with 2 queen beds, just double beds,which are small,or rooms with king sized beds. Tile in the shower was clean but older. When staying here for a kids' sporting event, we were given a good group rate for this that included breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I was there for only one night last Monday, called ahead to ask if I could check in early. Front Desk girl checked and let me know they have rooms and let me check in at noon. Although she said the room is in front of the ice machine, but that didn't bother me at all, I didn't hear any noise throughout the night.

The hotel is just off the freeway, but it's quiet and clean. I was assigned to the room on the 3rd floor, the elevator was quick and I never had to wait for too long. I think they have breakfast buffet for under $10 per person from 6am to 10am, but I didn't try it out. Front Desk also gave me a discount voucher for their restaurant, that was a nice touch!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo