“Booked but no room, sent to lower class hotel”

SpringHill Suites Phoenix Chandler/Fashion Center
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Chandler
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Booked but no room, sent to lower class hotel”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I had booked a room which was confirmed. When I arrived late in the evening (because my flight was due this time), the lady at reception said: "finally, you are here. I was waiting for you", strange because they knew my flight schedule. The lady told me she had no room for me, since other customers decided to stay longer, so she booked me to another hotel. This was very bad. The other hotel was 5 miles further down the road, and lower class. It was not a business hotel at all. My advice: do not book this hotel, since a room will not be guaranteed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Andrew W, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Phoenix Chandler/Fashion Center, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
I can totally understand your frustration on being moved to another hotel. We do apologize for this situation that happened. I would like to discuss this further so please feel free to contact me at 480-726-7666. I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I have stayed at this property several times. I love the location and the rooms are always nice and clean. This stay, however, the mattress was really poor and needed to be replaced. I will stay again and hopefully they will update their mattresses!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew W, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Phoenix Chandler/Fashion Center, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so happy you are a repeated guest and we look forward to you staying with us again in the future. I do want to apologize for the mattress issue. We are working with our corporate office on replacing some mattresses. Thank you again for staying with us.
Athens, West Virginia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We were in town for four day to aa wedding and wanted a hotel near our relatives. This hotel was close to them, easy trip from the airport, easy on and off the highway, and close to lots of shopping and restaurants. The hotel room was perfect. Sleeping space and entertaining space nicely separated. Plenty of furniture so nobody had to sit on the bed. The breakfast was pretty good. We love those waffles and the rest of the food was pretty typical. We did have a slight billing problem, the midnight check-in guy confused our package deal and charged us for the pre-paid room, but when I saw it processed on the credit card after we got home the manager took care of the problem immediately. It all turned out good and we will stay there again if the chance comes up.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
We are so happy you enjoyed our location and our hotel during your stay. Many guests love our close proximity to the airport, shops, restaurants, and the freeway. I want to apologize for the billing issue that you encountered, I am glad we were able to correct the issue. We look forward to seeing you next time you are back in Chandler. Thank you for reviewing our hotel.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Got the two queens suite. Very comfy beds, linens and pillows had that new car smell. Flat screen Tv a tad small and could use a wall rack for whole suite usage. Big bathroom with nice big shower. Pullout couch looked huge. Could sleep 2-4 kids. Very nice staff. Walk to nightclubs, fine dining, and shopping.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Andrew W, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Phoenix Chandler/Fashion Center, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with our wonderful amenities as well as our close proximity to the mall and a variety of restaurants. Come stay with us again next time you are back in Chandler.
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Thank you goes to the great folks at the Springhill Suites who made our stay much better than it could have been. Having stated this, it’s a mystery how such a well-run establishment can have small but major flaws. Things like no stopper in the sinks (did no one else – including room staff, notice) and fitted sheets that really didn’t. A word to the front desk and we had a stopper for the bathroom sink. Also, on the way out, I mentioned the short sheets and was promised that this would be addressed. Enough said from me, if it happens again then please bring it to the management’s attention and let TA readers know.

Things that cannot be fixed are noisy guests, very thin walls and doors (although the doors could be changed out, I suppose).

I guess the problem with having lost an hour when traveling from California to Arizona is that the body still says, "It's early". So at ten o'clock in the evening, people are walking up and down the hallway talking in loud voices as if they were home. Their children play games of tag and try to see who can run the fastest from the elevator to their room. Not so easy to relax when this is occurring. On our Thursday/Friday night stay this only happened on the latter.

Also, the air conditioner is noisy. If you open the window the traffic sound is just as bad. So, it’s your choice (vote for the a/c, it blocks out hall and next door room clamour).

Breakfast on Friday was good. I loved the waffle batter choice of either plan or blueberry (or in my case mixed). As well as the regular Marriott breakfast items they had a nice selection of light fruit (this was not the case on Saturday). For those who like coffee, there were several urns on the go. Well done Springhill. We have stayed at many establishments (including Marriott’s, where one or two coffee pots, many times empty, are the norm).

The location was great. It’s easy to get to, very close to the Chandler Fashion Center and more places to eat (within walking distance) than you could ever want. If you don’t know where something is located, just ask the front desk.

I have mentioned that in many similar establishments, the art work is just something to fill up spaces on dreary walls. At the Springhill Suites, the walls aren’t dreary and neither are the modern pieces of art. Even the carpet is more pleasingly different than you would find elsewhere. Nice touch.

Basics TV had a good selection of stations, Wi-Fi worked fine, 6 foot four shower had a nice head with good pressure. There was a microwave, bar sink and a small efficient fridge. Great computer/writing desk and chair.

Sofa bed cushions kind of sank in. The two piece coffee table can split and be used as a bedside table.

I won’t give this a 10 of 10 (the staff rated this but…). Yet, if you need a place to stay, this is okay.

PS if there was a half star then this would get 3.5

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew W, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Phoenix Chandler/Fashion Center, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time and giving our hotel a review. I greatly appreciate you letting us know where we did not meet your expectations during your stay as well as where we exceeded. We strive to make sure every guest enjoys their stay. I do apologize for the stopper not in the sink and we will be sure every room is properly checked and everything in working order before any guest checks in. I have shared this with my maintenance engineer and director of housekeeping to correct this issue.

As for the guests running thru the halls we do have a policy in place to make sure this does not happen. We will be sure to have staff check the hallways for noise so this does not inconvenience guests in the future.

Our new breakfast program for the Springhill Suites has been a huge success and I am so glad you were able to enjoy the new options.

Thank you again for sharing your stay and we hope next time you are back in Chandler, AZ you would stay with us again.
Rhode Island
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here for three nights on a business trip. I had no problems. The property was just a little worn down but very clean and well organized.

The Mall across the road is nice with a lot of choices for restaurants. Also up the road is a Whole Foods.

Hotel road has a light at the street intersection so its easy to get in and out.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Andrew W, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Phoenix Chandler/Fashion Center, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for your review. We do apologize that the hotel seemed a little worn down; we will make sure we make the correct actions. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We hope to see you next time you are back in Chandler.
austin
Reviewed 8 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I stayed there for a week on business travel. Near the hotel, there is big mall in walking distance. You can see buffalo wings, Kona grill and movie theaters around. Traffic is not worse and can be accessible to highway in 2 or 5 mins.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Andrew W, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Phoenix Chandler/Fashion Center, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for wonderful review. We are very happy you were able to enjoy your stay and were able to visit the many restaurants and shops our hotel location has to offer.