“Amazing Resort”

Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Chandler
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Its always nice to get away to a warm place during winter but this resort exceeded our expectations. Great resort with a fantastic golf course! Kai restaurant is amazing and a must for dinner. The pool is great and had a pool side bar. A separate kids pool made it nice for couples and adults to enjoy the rest. At night they have a fire pit by the pool area which made it nice to hang out and unwind at night. This resort has a world class spa and highly recommend checking it out. If you get a chance to stay in Phoenix this resort has got to be the place!

Room Tip: They have suites with views of the pool and overlooking the golf course
3  Thank TD64
Write a ReviewReviews (1,582)

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We called at 9 am on Christmas morning for reservations and were checked into our room at 10am. Beautiful resort. Clean up to date rooms and a fabulous bathroom . We were there 5 nights and enjoyed our stay. The hotel grounds were beautiful and the staff were professional and helpful. Will definitely stay here again when we return to Arizona.

3  Thank Hankmax
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Our business took us to Chandler (business meaning visiting my sister's 6-week-old son.) We typically stay at the Squaw Peak Hilton Resort because of its mini-golf, lazy river and all-suite hotel, but decided to be closer in Chandler. I miss the Hilton and would definitely recommend that hotel over Wild Horse Pass, especially for families.

But because it was December, the Hilton's amenities would probably go unused on this trip so we decided to stay at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass.

Sorry Sheraton, this place didn't convert me away from Hiltons and Marriotts, my primary hotel chains.

The service tone is very often set when you walk in through the front door (which I had to open myself and schlep my bags). No one seemed particuarly happy that we were there.

The restaurants at this resort are off the charts in terms of expensive. It's in a remote location with absolutely nothing in walking distance. (Not even the casino, which I thought was going to be close.) So if you want a meal off-site, be prepared to drive. If you do decide to eat there, be prepared to pay! A cup of tea at the Starbucks there was I think north of $4.00!

There are two dining options and moderately priced is not an option at Wild Horse. There's expensive (and not child friendly) and less-expensive and a little child-friendly. Seriously, the prices for food at this place are off the charts. The food was perhaps too adventurous for my palate. My wife ordered a chicken dish at the pool and got something that was way, way too spicey and overly creative for pool fare.

The less-expensive restaurant, where we ate dinner and breakfast, is in a horrible space. Incredibly loud. With sound bouncing off the walls and floors, with nothing to absorb the sound. Forget about relaxing in this space, especially if there's a larger group of diners in your room, which each seemed to accomodate half-a-dozen tables. The menu didn't seem to have anything normal. I'm all for getting out of my comfort zone but offer some traditional items as well. Order pancakes for breakfast, and you get some novelle-cuisine type grilled pancakes, served on corn husks, with some kind of weird butter. It's all well and good to offer such adventurous cuisine, but have something basic for those of us who just want a hearty breakfast rather than something you'd see on Food Network! That said, there are probably a lot of you saying 'what's this guy's problem, sounds delightful!" Just offering you my opinion.

My wife ordered a vodka/pineapple, which was served with unrequested, premium vodka for $9.00. The budget version, which I got her the next night, was $8.00. Just seemed pricey to me, but maybe that's consistent with what high end resorts charge.

The grounds are delightful, the hotel not so much. As others have noted on here, it's a long way to get to your room from check-in. Be prepared to walk. In terms of noise level, there is no downside to getting a room close to reception. It was a quiet hotel, even with a bunch of Michigan State fans staying at the hotel for some football game.

I was generally underwhelmed by this resort. It just didn't resonate with me or make an emotional connection. Again, it was a cool December, so we weren't able to spend a lot of time enjoying the outdoors.

My wife and son did want me to single out the Equestrian Center staff, and rightfully so. They were very friendly and my wife and son had a wonderful trail ride which they thoroughly recommend.

One safety note. The pools have no lifeguards; swim at your own risk, which is fair enough. But the waterslide was really an attractive nuisance to the children who were using it. I should have snapped pictures of the girls walking down it and the kids going down head first, on their backs. All well and good until someone bumps into someone else, which I witnessed. This hotel really does need to have some adult supervision on the waterslide making sure that kids don't go down four in a row and clunk heads when they land in the water.

I was underwhelmed by the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass and won't rush back, especially in the off season. It is very pretty and rooms were nice and quiet.
Didn't float my boat, but might float yours.

Finally, just want to mention the computer center. This hotel has figured out the internet thing. Charge a ton of money in the room, but offer it for free in the lobby, which is reasonable. You get 45 minutes free, once you enter your name and room number, courtesy of your friends at Microsoft. Their sponsorship was a great way for people to use their products while holding the cost of internet access.

Finally, would have been nice to have a king room, with a sofa bed for the kid. Instead we wound up with 2 full-sized beds, which meant the wife and I were cramped and the kid slept like a king!

Room Tip: Don't think there are any bad rooms at this hotel. Views across the parking lot or the resort w...
5  Thank Frqflier
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Beautiful facility with grand buildings and modern, spacious rooms. Everything about the structure is top notch, with an inspired, open lobby with enchanting murals painted on the ceiling. Room furnishings are modern and comfortable, and we never heard any sounds from the active family next door. The grounds are well landscaped, including nice running trails that provide some interpretive access to the scenery. It seems like the resort was built with a fine eye to being a pretty spectacular showcase.

Everyday operation and service, however, were disappointing. We were mis-informed at check-in that there was a complimentary fitness center in the hotel building, and only after fruitlessly looking around for it, were we told that access to the fitness center required a $20 day pass for the Aji spa center in the next building. No amends were offered for this mistake. The swimming pool complex nicely offered several different pools and an entertaining water slide popular with the kids, but the large pools were uncomfortably cold in December. We never got the additional towels asked for delivered to our room. Everyone was friendly enough, but little flaws in the service didn’t live up to the resort atmosphere, so I didn’t really feel willing to indulge in the rather expensive prices for on-site meals and activities. The spa and equestrian center at the resort are great ideas, but we didn’t try them. And, it would take just a little training to address these service issues and improve the overall resort experience.

2  Thank CAFamilyRvwr
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear Guest,

We aim to provide flawless service for each of our guests and are disappointed to hear that we did not achieve this throughout your stay. We understand that friendliness alone does not make for an excellent experience and we are sorry to see that we missed the mark.

We believe that feedback is a powerful tool and are appreciative that you have taken the time to provide us with details from your stay. We will certainly review your concerns with our staff and use these areas of opportunity as a learning experience for our team.

Stephanie Sanstead

Reviewed 28 December 2012

ok- first the downside. This place is huge- so it will be a long walk to your room. There are stairwells evenly spaced out- we were able to take the stairs and were at our car very quick. That is the ONLY downside.
Now the good- this place is amazing! The lobby is very comfortable with sitting areas and fire places. There is a waterfall and a native American mural in the ceiling. There is a fire pit outside that was also very nice to sit at- even though the nights were chilly. Room was very nice- large bathroom- tub and shower. We had a balcony that overlooked the golf course and mountains- sunset was beautiful. There is a huge pool with a water slide.
The spa connected to the hotel was very relaxing. There is a fitness room, saunas, and even a pool- in case the one at the resort is full of kids. We spent a very relaxing day here. It is a little pricey, but it is a good splurge for a day. A side note- I looked into many resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area- most charge a resort fee of $25 and up. There is no resort fee, so you just pay for what you use.
The hotel offers a boat ride on the river to the western town Rawhide and the neighboring casino. Recommended. There is also some very nice hiking trails around the area. This resort is not really near anything- there are a lot of shops and restaurants a few exits up the highway- but for a nice getaway- this is the place. We hope to return every year!

1  Thank trvlmaven
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words. We value receiving feedback from our guests and appreciate that you have taken the time to provide us with a detailed review of your recent stay.

We see that you took advantage of many of our resort’s amenities and are happy to learn that you had a memorable experience. The boat cruise is a fan favorite and we are glad that you agree.

We look forward to your return.

Stephanie Sanstead

Reviewed 23 December 2012

While this is a lovely desert resort spa, we did not have a relaxing or rejuvenating stay. We were awakened by landscapers with leafblowers below our balcony at 8 am, called front desk to request they stop. Although they did, they started up again at 10 am. This ruined our plans and morning. Managers on duty were apologetic and refunded our stay, yet we left so exhausted and displeased that I left an item behind in the room. I called within a few hours, and said item was "not found." The only option is it was taken by the housekeeper. I have written to the email address provided by property managers, but have not heard back from Security or Sheraton corporate. Based on my experience here, I would not recommend this as a place to stay with so many other options in the area.

2  Thank StellaAiello
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Everything is PERFECT! Food, excellent! Pool, AWESOME! Rooms are amazing, peaceful music plays 24/7 and the staff is the kindest staff I have encountered. I have stayed here 2 times for business, and the shuttle took me where I needed to go and picked me up. Although it is a bit warm, the A/C is perfect and you can block out the sun with the curtains.

Room Tip: You cN opt out of cleaning for breakfast coupons!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Tommy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino
Hyatt Place Phoenix Chandler-Fashion Center
Best Western Plus Chandler Hotel & Suites
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
#54 of 173 in Phoenix
Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!