“Management needs retraining - not up to Sheraton standards”

Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Chandler
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“Management needs retraining - not up to Sheraton standards”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Paying for your hotel room well in advance at this Sheraton property does not guarantee they will have your room when you arrive. They moved us 3 times - include one night on a cot - and yet would not reimburse us for that horrific night. We had booked a family vacation of 7 nights at the property; we had 2 rooms. Due to a severe winter storm our arrival was delayed by several hours but we called 3 times to advise them. We arrived exhausted, late at night just wanting to rest in our room. A room we had fully paid for weeks earlier. Well, they had one room but not the other. We needed 2 beds- just as we had booked. They shoved us in the room furthest away (over 250 steps from the lobby, through windy corridors) - one bed and they'd bring a cot (for the cot to fit you need to pile the footstool onto its matching chair). It got much worse - I'll spare the details. If we could have moved to another hotel we would have.
Other things to be aware of - it is a very sprawling hotel so not great for seniors. They have over 20 handicap parking spots but I never saw more than 3 being used - I guess word gets out that its a difficult place to navigate for some seniors. The pool doesn't always have towels until after 10:30. Service at the pool can be a wait - one day it took over 60 minutes for the waiter to return (despite speaking to people 3 times). The Internet (fee is over $12/per 24hrs) was down most of one day - so have other arrangements if you need to do business.
The pluses - the weather in Arizona is usually great. For kids - the pool slide is fun. They have 3 pools but one isn't heated so only the ducks (the actual birds) will swim in it.
If management learned the art of customer service this hotel has potential - but for now its a steer clear kind of place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 1st floor with walkout to the pool
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank K B
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,
We are extremely grateful that you would take the time to post regarding your recent stay. We are truly concerned with the poor service you experienced here and we are embarrassed our shortfalls so negatively affected your stay. We know we greatly disappointed you and for this we do sincerely apologize. It is our objective to anticipate and exceed the expectations of all our guests and you can be sure that with the help of your comments we will follow and take the necessary steps to act on and learn from your experience. Again thank you for your time and thoughtful feedback. We hope that you would consider giving us another opportunity to serve you on your next visit to the valley.
Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Korean first
Somerset, NJ
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely, peaceful place to stay. The grounds are beautiful. I lost my camera and contacted the hotel a day after we checked out. 4 weeks later when I'd given up on ever seeing it again I received a call that it had been found and they'd send it to me. It's very nice to know honest people and great followup exists in this busy world.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your sentiments regarding your peaceful time with us! We always enjoy reading about our guests' personal experiences. How fantastic that we were able to locate and return your misplaced camera. Our Housekeeping and Security teams work very hard in an effort to locate the owners of these items, big and small, that are sometimes left behind. It is great to know that their extra effort is appreciated and we will certainly share your kind words with the rest of the team. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon!
Director of Housekeeping
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is a very beautiful setting and lovely hotel. The staff are friendly and appear helpful. Housekeeping was O.K. but was usually late in the day. Not exactly convenient for anyone who was spending most of the time in and out of the room while their partner was in meetings.
If you decide to stay here be aware of EVERYTHING you are paying for. Although some things seem complimentary and even have signage that appears to offer complimentary service all is not as it seems. We were surprised when we received our final bill by email to have added charges we were not aware of even though we reviewed the bill before checking out and were given a copy. We did not use the hospitality bar in our room however we seem to have been charged for it on our final bill. It is possible that the charge is for the water we drank and we have asked the hotel to clarify but have been unable to get a response. (There were signs on the water bottle that seemed to promise complimentary usage.) I would stay here again but now I know what to watch for.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GrammaBear1951
Dear Guest,
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us, we are always happy to be your home away from home! We will be reviewing your comments with our housekeeping leadership and look forward to welcoming you to our resort when your travels bring you near.
Jersey
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed 2 nights while attending a conference. The views outside were breathtaking and the resort itself is beautifully landscaped. Upon arriving, we were greeted by the front desk staff who were very friendly. Our rooms were available immediately upon checking. We were hungry and saw that the bar at the pool area was still open and serving food. Shortly after sitting down though the sun was starting to set and it became clear that there was no outdoor lighting available. We asked for a candle or some other form of light to be able to see our food but were advised that there was not any available. I had to use the flashlight app on my phone a few times. I don't think that you should keep an area open for food if you have insufficient light.
The remainder of the stay, food was provided via the conference. I was pleasantly surprised at the healthy options available and the variations from the "norm" I usually see at these types of events. I especially liked the Dutch ovens set up with steel cut oats and the homemade trail bars and mix your own trail mix. Coming from an avid hiker, this was very much appreciated and enjoyed.
I was surprised by the daily cost for internet access. I've stayed at budget hotels where free wifi was included.
In the morning, I requested a late checkout due to the timing of my morning conference schedule making it impossible for me to get back to my room in time to adequately pack up. The request was denied. I was told they had too many people checking in that day. Sadly, I had to pack all of my things in a rushed manner and then store my luggage outside the conference hall.
The room itself was clean and provided ample enough space. The one cup coffee brewer was perfect for the morning fix.
The downstairs bar area was comfortable, service friendly and the outdoor fire pit was relaxing,

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jenandcody
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your time and appreciate your feedback. We are happy to hear that most of your stay was enjoyable and are sorry to hear that some of it was not up to your expectations. We apologize for the poor lighting you experienced at the pool bar & grill as it is something that we are currently addressing and working on. We also would like to apologize for not being able to grant your late check out. With high business levels it's hard to accommodate those requests. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the banquet choices that were served to you. Being on the Gila River Indian Community we utilize different ingredients and décor to showcase the culture. We hope that you will visit us again and can experience a relaxing stay that exceeds your expectations!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed here with my mom and two young daughters. The staff was very friendly and our room was clean. They even allowed us to switch rooms after the first night so we could have a view of the mountains. The girls loved the pool and the boat ride to Rawhide. My only complaint is that housekeeping was slow (room didn't get cleaned until late afternoon/early evening). Overall, we loved our stay and can't wait to return!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. The team takes great pride in providing first class service and we will share the stories of success with our staff. I do apologize for your room not being cleaned until early in the afternoon. Our focus is always set on getting our rooms cleaned in a timely manner while delivering a high quality product. We hope you will choose the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass for your next family getaway.
Housekeeping Manager
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed for 3 nights as part of a conference for business, so my review will be primarily done from that perspective.

Check-in was efficient. We arrived very early in the day, but my room was already available and I received a nice upgrade.

The room itself was nicely decorated and of an adequate size, with a good sized bathroom. The walkout patio was a nice place to sit and relax. The bed was very comfortable.

Conference rooms were nicely laid out for our purposes. Food services provided were also very good.

If I had one large complaint, it's that the WIFI internet was absolutely horrible. That might not be too bad if here on vacation, but when travelling on business, having a good connection is rather important. There was no single connection throughout the property, and we needed to sign into different networks at different parts of the hotel. No matter where we were in the property, the connection was slow and very unstable. I gave up even trying to use it about half way through the second day, and just went back to data roaming on my phone.

Not only was the hotel WIFI bad, but there also seemed to be rather poor cellular coverage in the area. I could only get enough signal from my room to hold a call unless I was next to the open patio door. Makes me wonder what the building walls are made of.

So, other than unacceptable communication services, the rest of the stay was very good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SHeckathorne, Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. We are glad that you were able to enjoy your stay. We understand your need to stay connected and I'm sorry that your WIFI connectivity were not stable. While we own this challenge, we are currently going through a complete overhaul of our network infrastructure and are confident that will resolve all of our internet challenges. We hope that you can visit us soon to exceed your expectations.

Warmest Regards,

IT Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here on the second leg of my staycation, and wow...was I impressed. The staff was friendly upon check-in and answered all of my questions. The room was lovely. It had hand-painted artwork displayed on the walls, a comfortable leather chair, a handmade Indian blanket, and even cactus ribs on the sliding door valence. The lobby bar was wonderful, complete with a waterfall and river, live music, and plenty of seating. Even the Link@Sheraton was impressive, sporting a library and numerous workstations. I dined at Kai with my girlfriend and was blown away by the delicious food and friendly service. The food was authentic southwestern cuisine prepared with French flare including elk, lamb, quail, and even truffles. We also ate at Ko-sin which had a bountiful buffet complete with smoked salmon and smoked trout, capers, and even chipotle Hollandaise sauce that was made upon my request. The pool was excellent, although much too cold for me. But who needs to go in the pool when you are treated with wonderful views of the Gila River replica, the links and the wonderful Arizona sunsets. I loved this property, and I guarantee you will feel at one with nature when you come here

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that face in an easterly direction, as you will be looking at a parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Here at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa we do our best to deliver a one of a kind experience to each of our guests. I would like to thank you for sharing your visit with us and I am pleased to hear we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay. It is with great pride we incorporate the culture of our local Native American tribes at the resort and I am thrilled you were able to enjoy those aspects of our property. We hope you are able to return in the near future and thank you again for your lovely compliments.
Hotel Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!