“Nice Oasis in the Desert”

Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Chandler
Washington State
“Nice Oasis in the Desert”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This resort is set outside the hustle and bustle of Phoenix. Sheraton quality with local indian flare. Grounds ard beautiful, close to casino. Pool towels were not available to us on a Friday night.....when we needed them. Asked a restaurant worker for some, never came. Gave me points for no remote in room, that was good (Starwood Preferred). Raw burger at the poolside bbq...sent it back got a brat instead was charged for it should have been free. That needs improvement. Buffet breakfast in the morning was great for $15 each. Check out could have cared less about the bbq mischarges the night before. Would stay here again in spite of the missteps we encountered. Nice place!

Room Tip: Get a ground level room with a walk out patio..nice!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and opportunity to enhance the guest experience.
I am disappointed to hear that your visit was not perfect and we did not meet your expectations. I can report that we ordered and received 900 new pool towels just this last week. I understand we missed the opportunity to provide them during your stay but we have learned from our timing mistake. I also realize how a lot of small defects such as not having a remote in your room or the preparation of food poolside could play a negative role in your resort experience. It is our goal to exceed our guests’ expectations and learn from areas of opportunity. Please note your feedback is being used as a training opportunity for our team.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our Ko’Sin breakfast buffet and the location of our beautiful property. We look forward to your next stay and a chance to showcase the service levels we strive for. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The Sheraton is a beaufitul property but the service is horrible. We had billing problems at the pool, restaurant, and at checkout. It was a constant waiting game to correct the kids eat free meals and then sign the updated copy of the receipt. On average we waited 30 minutes for each check and then another 15 minutes for the corrected receipt. The last day we waited 2 hours for the pool check and it wasn't busy. The second problem was the service at the pool was very very slow. The food would be delivered an hour or more after placing the order and it wasn't busy. The pool was not heated like the front desk and staff say. We are from cold Colorado so any water above 80 would be HOT. There are 3 pools, 1 waterslide, and 2 hottubs so there is plenty of space to swim. The pool was beautiful and so were the grounds. We rode the boat ride to the tourist trap called Rawhide. The boat ride was fun for the kids and was a great afternoon activity. The boat only operates Wednesday-Sunday from 2-9pm. Checkout was a pain and credits that were supposed to be on the bill were not and our daily rate was wrong by $60. I had to prove my rate via my email conf because they needed proof that my rate was a certain rate, which I understand but couldn't explain my it was a different rate all together. At the end, it was fixed and we left there thinking that people need to be warned to make sure to keep track of their bills and check the rate. I would stay here again for the pool and views. The rooms were very nice and so were the beds. The patio was nice to sit out on at night to listen and watch the wildlife. We had an enjoyable spring break but I felt a lot of time was consumed at the front desk correcting mistakes and at check out correcting items that should already to taken care of. I also received a bill a day after checking out stating that I had a mini bar charge, which is wrong. We didn't even have the key to the minibar and only drank the coffee in the room, which was complimentary. So that was another thing that just didn't seem right. Also, the hotel property is very far away from any places to eat and shop. It is at the southern tip of the Phoenix Metro area. It was nice to get away from everything but a car is a MUST and driving a lot is to be expected.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kassi H
Dear Guest,
Thank you for connecting with us regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa. I apologize you experienced delays in service at the pool and the amount of time correcting billing issues throughout your stay. We will be reviewing your comments in hopes of improving our guests experiences. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the the near future.
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Came a month ago thus time for a birthday. Went to breakfast as party of 5 and was charged a massive 18% gratuity. Refused because that is discretionary and our waitress spent more time chatting than helping. Once again the egg station was backed up for 20 minute waits. Location still great but service still woefully broken.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your helpful and detailed feedback. We greatly value your patronage, support and perspective and do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Resort Manager
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Paying for your hotel room well in advance at this Sheraton property does not guarantee they will have your room when you arrive. They moved us 3 times - include one night on a cot - and yet would not reimburse us for that horrific night. We had booked a family vacation of 7 nights at the property; we had 2 rooms. Due to a severe winter storm our arrival was delayed by several hours but we called 3 times to advise them. We arrived exhausted, late at night just wanting to rest in our room. A room we had fully paid for weeks earlier. Well, they had one room but not the other. We needed 2 beds- just as we had booked. They shoved us in the room furthest away (over 250 steps from the lobby, through windy corridors) - one bed and they'd bring a cot (for the cot to fit you need to pile the footstool onto its matching chair). It got much worse - I'll spare the details. If we could have moved to another hotel we would have.
Other things to be aware of - it is a very sprawling hotel so not great for seniors. They have over 20 handicap parking spots but I never saw more than 3 being used - I guess word gets out that its a difficult place to navigate for some seniors. The pool doesn't always have towels until after 10:30. Service at the pool can be a wait - one day it took over 60 minutes for the waiter to return (despite speaking to people 3 times). The Internet (fee is over $12/per 24hrs) was down most of one day - so have other arrangements if you need to do business.
The pluses - the weather in Arizona is usually great. For kids - the pool slide is fun. They have 3 pools but one isn't heated so only the ducks (the actual birds) will swim in it.
If management learned the art of customer service this hotel has potential - but for now its a steer clear kind of place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 1st floor with walkout to the pool
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank K B
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,
We are extremely grateful that you would take the time to post regarding your recent stay. We are truly concerned with the poor service you experienced here and we are embarrassed our shortfalls so negatively affected your stay. We know we greatly disappointed you and for this we do sincerely apologize. It is our objective to anticipate and exceed the expectations of all our guests and you can be sure that with the help of your comments we will follow and take the necessary steps to act on and learn from your experience. Again thank you for your time and thoughtful feedback. We hope that you would consider giving us another opportunity to serve you on your next visit to the valley.
Resort Manager
Somerset, NJ
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely, peaceful place to stay. The grounds are beautiful. I lost my camera and contacted the hotel a day after we checked out. 4 weeks later when I'd given up on ever seeing it again I received a call that it had been found and they'd send it to me. It's very nice to know honest people and great followup exists in this busy world.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your sentiments regarding your peaceful time with us! We always enjoy reading about our guests' personal experiences. How fantastic that we were able to locate and return your misplaced camera. Our Housekeeping and Security teams work very hard in an effort to locate the owners of these items, big and small, that are sometimes left behind. It is great to know that their extra effort is appreciated and we will certainly share your kind words with the rest of the team. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon!
Director of Housekeeping
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is a very beautiful setting and lovely hotel. The staff are friendly and appear helpful. Housekeeping was O.K. but was usually late in the day. Not exactly convenient for anyone who was spending most of the time in and out of the room while their partner was in meetings.
If you decide to stay here be aware of EVERYTHING you are paying for. Although some things seem complimentary and even have signage that appears to offer complimentary service all is not as it seems. We were surprised when we received our final bill by email to have added charges we were not aware of even though we reviewed the bill before checking out and were given a copy. We did not use the hospitality bar in our room however we seem to have been charged for it on our final bill. It is possible that the charge is for the water we drank and we have asked the hotel to clarify but have been unable to get a response. (There were signs on the water bottle that seemed to promise complimentary usage.) I would stay here again but now I know what to watch for.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dianne T
Dear Guest,
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us, we are always happy to be your home away from home! We will be reviewing your comments with our housekeeping leadership and look forward to welcoming you to our resort when your travels bring you near.
Jersey
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed 2 nights while attending a conference. The views outside were breathtaking and the resort itself is beautifully landscaped. Upon arriving, we were greeted by the front desk staff who were very friendly. Our rooms were available immediately upon checking. We were hungry and saw that the bar at the pool area was still open and serving food. Shortly after sitting down though the sun was starting to set and it became clear that there was no outdoor lighting available. We asked for a candle or some other form of light to be able to see our food but were advised that there was not any available. I had to use the flashlight app on my phone a few times. I don't think that you should keep an area open for food if you have insufficient light.
The remainder of the stay, food was provided via the conference. I was pleasantly surprised at the healthy options available and the variations from the "norm" I usually see at these types of events. I especially liked the Dutch ovens set up with steel cut oats and the homemade trail bars and mix your own trail mix. Coming from an avid hiker, this was very much appreciated and enjoyed.
I was surprised by the daily cost for internet access. I've stayed at budget hotels where free wifi was included.
In the morning, I requested a late checkout due to the timing of my morning conference schedule making it impossible for me to get back to my room in time to adequately pack up. The request was denied. I was told they had too many people checking in that day. Sadly, I had to pack all of my things in a rushed manner and then store my luggage outside the conference hall.
The room itself was clean and provided ample enough space. The one cup coffee brewer was perfect for the morning fix.
The downstairs bar area was comfortable, service friendly and the outdoor fire pit was relaxing,

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jenandcody
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your time and appreciate your feedback. We are happy to hear that most of your stay was enjoyable and are sorry to hear that some of it was not up to your expectations. We apologize for the poor lighting you experienced at the pool bar & grill as it is something that we are currently addressing and working on. We also would like to apologize for not being able to grant your late check out. With high business levels it's hard to accommodate those requests. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the banquet choices that were served to you. Being on the Gila River Indian Community we utilize different ingredients and décor to showcase the culture. We hope that you will visit us again and can experience a relaxing stay that exceeds your expectations!
Hotel Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#21 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!