“Upscale”

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Chandler
Cottonwood, Arizona
“Upscale”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Ok, first let me preface this by saying, I'm usually more of La Quinta type hotel person, so I can be somewhat easily impressed. With that disclaimer, when I arrived at the lobby,I was impressed!
Beautiful lobby that overlooks the pools, golf course, and mountains. It's also off the beaten track but still reasonably close to the big city.

Ok, so let me break this down simply to the old reliable pros and cons.
PROS
-Beautiful grounds, desert landscaping.
-pools and water slide. There are about four different pools, Jacuzzi, and water slide for the kids. For us, the pools were the highlight.
-Service at the pools was excellent.
-the rooms are very nicely decorated, upscale, and high end mattresses that were very comfortable.
-the pool area stays open till 11:00pm! So many close too early.

CONS
-Number 1 con, price. Even with the summer discount your looking at about $230 a night! And it has what they all seem to have now, the Resort fee. So stupid! Somehow this fee allows them to list a lower price, but then add more to that price, and it'snot optional!
-Distances. This resort is large and spread out. If you don't like to walk, either request a room near the lobby or don't stay here. It's a pretty good hike from a lot of the rooms.

So in conclusion, if you're looking for a nice resort that feels secluded but you don't want to drive to distant locations, this is perfect. The price per night was a bit high for me, I hate to think what the rate is during the winter or spring.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and all of the insightful feedback you have provided us and your fellow travelers. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our lobby, our wide-open views and service throughout the resort. I am sorry to hear that you felt the hallway walk was too long. We built our resort to replicate the nearby mountain range and to maximize the views from guestrooms. Most guests like this approach, however, we are happy to accommodate special room location requests whenever possible. Thank you again for joining us and we hope you will visit again soon.

PR Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Korean first
Portland
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I will start by saying, from the outside - driving up to this resort, the grounds are really beautiful. It's very desert like and well manicured. The building structures are southwestern adobe style and architecturally nice but that's where it stops.

Upon entering the lobby, we noticed a feeling of humidity and a mildew odor. We chalked it up to the 111 degree outside temperature, coupled with A/C. We stepped up to the front desk and asked the Clerk if the hotel was sold out. His answer was "no". We then inquired about a possible upgrade and he said "let me check". He didn't speak another word but simply handed us keys and directed us to our room. It was at the far end of the property - down a series of hallways. We were honestly taken aback by the condition of the carpets on this journey. They were old and FILTHY. And, randomly patched with duct tape. We also noticed strips of rubber gasket hanging from many of the guest room doors.

When we entered our room, it was very dark. The furnishings were nice - chunky and in keeping with the style but the décor was so dim. Brown carpet, tan wallpaper, brown lampshades etc. The lighting in the bathroom was barely sufficient. Even with the draperies wide open, the room was just plain dark. The bathtub had hair on the edge from a previous guest, the shower ceiling was covered in black mold and the grout between the tile and glass was just nasty. The dresser drawers were also filled with crumbs. I'd typically be the type to call and complain but we were with a group (we had no part in choosing this hotel) and I didn't want to make a scene, potentially in front of one of my husband's customers. So, we just sucked it up.

The following day, I left for lunch/pool time and encountered the Housekeeper in the hall on my way out. I asked to have our room made up but when I returned 3 hours later, it was still dirty. I had to jump into the shower so I called quickly for some fresh towels and a very nice, apologetic gentleman delivered them. I ate lunch in the more casual of the two restaurants and the service was very good, as was the food. I was anxious to eat there with my husband the following day but it was an entirely different story. The waiter was a little overwhelmed and rather that say "I'll be with you shortly", he chose to ignore us for 10 minutes. He finally arrived and we ordered a bowl of chicken tortilla soup to start (and share) and a BLT salad with extra bacon to follow. About 5 minutes later, another gal appeared with both. The soup was a bowl of watered down tomato paste with tortilla strips on top but no chicken. The salad literally had 2 small pieces of bacon. We flagged down our waiter who proceeded to argue with us when we pointed out that clearly, we had not received what we ordered. Rather than offer to have it corrected, he just stood there dumfounded so we announced we'd rather leave. We were starving so decided to try the pool bar. The bartender was very friendly and happy to serve us. I ordered tacos on corn tortillas but received flour. My husband requested a BLT which arrived on this greasy buttered bread. We were so worn out by this time that we just ate. As we sat there, we were admiring these cool pendant light fixtures overhead and then noticed they were covered in cobwebs with leaf debris hanging from them. Again, more dirtiness.

The pool was quite nice but the chair cushions were covered in cigarette burns and need to be replaced. I will say, the pool staff was very friendly and timely. Of course, there were very few people at the hotel overall.

Our room was serviced the 2nd day but the Housekeeper took dirty glassware we had placed on the floor next to the wastebasket (a signal to have it removed usually) and returned it to the top of the minibar with a napkin over each one. ??? We also saw the same 6 pack carrier with 5 empty beer bottles sit on the hallway floor for 3 straight days! I observed one member of the cleaning staff texting on her phone so certainly she would have had time to remove them.

We attended a banquet dinner and the food and service were both very good. The meeting space was the only area of the property which was clean.

We took the shuttle to the casino to dine at Don Shula's and the drivers were so courteous. The Bellmen were also very friendly and efficient. The bottles of cold water were a nice touch.

My reason for not giving one star, as opposed to two, is that 95% of the staff were so great! It was just very disappointing to find a Starwood resort in such rough and dirty shape. It's truly in need of a 'hard remodel' and deep cleaning.

Green Features: They did offer the 'green' option with linens and towels.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
SHeckathorne, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share and post your helpful observations and feedback. We are very proud of our Resort and as it is our goal to anticipate our guest’s needs and to exceed their expectations, we sincerely apologize that this did not occur during your stay. We are greatly concerned that you found the Resort condition and cleanliness to be substandard, and we are embarrassed that we so badly missed in the restaurant and other service opportunities. Please know that we completely agree that these issues are unacceptable and you can be sure that we have followed up and are taking the necessary steps to act on and learn from your poor experience.

Again, thank you for your time. Your feedback is not only a valuable tool for us to foster and strengthen the relationship with you as a valuable guest, but also allows us to learn and address specific issues and modify staff procedures where necessary. We greatly value your patronage, support and perspective, and while we understand your perception of our Resort has been altered by these issues, we would very much appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit. We hope that you will consider us again so that you can experience the positive, relaxing and memorable stay that we strive to deliver.

Director of Front Office
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

One of the better hotels where I have stayed at for a business conference. Two and half days of meeting the hotel had everything ready from rooms, meals to conference area. The hotel is located in the Southeast part of the valley

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SHeckathorne, Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and kind words. We were glad to host you.

Meeting and Event Manager
Arizona
Reviewed 7 June 2014

You can see from the pictures this is a beautiful property. There is a river that surround the property which attract some of the most beautiful birds. There really are wild horses here too. You can take a water taxi to the steak house at Rawhide which is very scenic. Having the casino and shopping nearby is fun and there is a free shuttle so it's easy to get around. The native American décor is very calming. The nature walks are very peaceful. There are 4 pools which are really more for families. If you want some peaceful water time I would recommend purchasing a day pass to the spa. The golf course was in great shape too.
What impressed me most about this hotel was the outstanding service. It's the people that made this special for me. I really like it when I ask for something and the response is "of course". I truly felt like a special guest and that is the reason I will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa, we thank you for giving us the opportunity to exceed your expectations. I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the many amenities we offer with the new outlet mall, enjoyable casino, and the beautiful boat ride. Here at the resort we pride ourselves on excellent service and to see we have done that for your visit is wonderful. Our hope is that we are able to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Best regards,
Front Office Manager
Anacortes, Washington
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

The landscaping itself is pretty, but I have never been so nickled and dimed and the service was abysmal. Three occasions the blankets pulled up but sheets not even tightened. They call it a four star resort, but thats apparently because someone must have bumped their head to see the stars. You are out in the middle of nowhere at this place, the restaurants are expensive, you pay extra for the wi-fi (both in your room and at the conference center) and the mgmt takes advantage of this fact. I would never go back and I caution you to be aware of exactly what you are getting into.. Plus, I think the room taxes (not included in the quoted price) may be higher than typical. The property is located on the reservation. My advice: check carefully.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to hear that the service levels did not meet your expectations. Typically guests like the uncluttered views of our property. All of our details for room rate and terms/conditions would have been spelled out in your confirmation. I am sorry to hear that they surprised you. Wishing you well.

Hotel Management
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This resort is a stunning desert property located just as you're starting to leave the Phoenix metro heading south. It's very isolated and quiet; if you're looking for peaceful relaxation, it's hard to beat. One of the onsite restaurants, Kai, is outstanding.

I doubt many folks consider this property if they intend to do a lot of things in the city (if you are, then choose another property because you'll spend too much time driving to/from this place). If you want a place to get away, be catered to by excellent service, and relax, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: West-facing provide great sunsets and views of the pools...but the rooms will be warmer in the summe...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your peaceful and relaxing stay here at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort. We appreciate the opportunity to provide our unparalleled service during your quiet get away and spectacular stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to unwind and relax.

Kai Manager
Strongsville, OH
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this lovely resort for a conference in June 2014. I came with some trepidation about the heat, which quickly dissipated on arrival. Although there were record temperatures of 105 degrees plus while visiting, my morning exercise time on the grounds and nature paths were pleasant. The room I stayed in was a long walk from the conference facility, but otherwise it was perfect. The energy of the place is calm and serene. The background music playing in the corridors is soothing Native American flute which creates a nice mood. Service is friendly and the food I enjoyed, both during banquets and on my own was a step up from other conference hotels I have experienced. As for conference facilities, this place rocks! Spacious and comfortable whether you are in the ballroom or a smaller seminar room. I'd vote to return for another conference here and would book and extra day to simply enjoy this beautiful place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the mountains, otherwise you might be looking at a parking lot. If you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I am extremely pleased and grateful to hear the kind words to which you describe our property. At the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa we do our best to create the most serene environment so that our guests may fully relax during their visit. It thrills me to know you were able to take in our calming setting as well as the warm weather. I must say it is even sometimes difficult for Arizona natives to accept the heat, but somehow our resort just seems to be the perfect environment. I am also grateful to hear that you enjoyed our many dining outlets, and I know our cooks work proudly to create some of the most delectable treats. We are truly proud that you had a great experience with us and perhaps your next visit will not be business related and you will have more opportunities to enjoy all of our amenities.

Best regards,
Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!