“A Fantastic Escape”

Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Chandler
“A Fantastic Escape”
Reviewed 6 June 2005

We discovered this hotel quite by accident because we were taking a class at Bonduran Performance Driving School. The quality of the service at this property was staggering. Everyone was friendly and amiable and it made this one of our best resort stays. You feel isolated and yet you are 2 minutes from a freeway. Yes, its pricey but you do get what you pay for. The cultural touches of this place show which truly reflect the region. We plan on returning again and getting some horseback riding in. Go!

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 1 June 2005

My husband and I stayed here for a week just for fun since we had never been to Phoenix/Scottsdale and thought it would be fun. I driveway to the resort is magical with lots of attention to detail in the landscaping. The staff were extremely efficient and polite. We had a wonderful room with a view of the pools, the magnificent sunsets and the desert. The rooms have seperate shower and whirlpool tubs. We enjoyed sitting on our balcony with breakfast and soaking up the serene atmosphere. The restaurants were a bit pricey but one has to expect that at a resort. My husband and I had a couple massage and thought the spa was marvelous. There is an additional charge to use the spa's pool but if you are having treatments it is complimentary the day of treatment. I have seen some complaints about the distance to other restuarants but I think this is just laziness on the part of some people. You can't have a desert atmosphere with a strip mall and an Olive Garden within walking distance. I do think one needs a car if staying here though. We found some lovely restaurants in the Chandler Boulevard area, one exit back on the interstate. Also, we took advantage of the horseback riding that was offered by the hotel. It was a fun experience and just short enough not to be too sore. The rides went on desert trails on the Gila River Reservation. Highly recommend this outing. Also, the complimentary boat ride from the resort to the nearby casino was a nice evening diversion.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 30 May 2005

My husband and I just returned from a three night stay at the Wild Horse Resort. Here are some of our observations:
-The hotel is obviously dedicated to providing quality service.
-Great family retreat. We saw tons of families with young children all having a great time. The pools are not deep which is ideal for young children. The resort also has a giant slide with a height limitation; 48 inches or taller.
-The hotel offers free WiFi in the lobby area. It was nice to sit in lobby area in a big plush chair surfing the web.
-Room service menu was much larger than most hotels.
-The theme of the resort was very Native American. As you walked through the resort you hear Native American chants.

Now the negatives:

-There is a lack of restaurants on the property. Beyond the upscale Kai Restaurant, there is the pool-side grill and the buffet. That’s it.
-The resort is 15 minutes from chandler and 30 minutes from Scottsdale. You need to rent a car to access the hundreds of great restaurants in the Phoenix-Scottsdale area.

Overall, this is a great retreat for a family with young children. The resort is very popular with the locals, offering many “stay and play” deals.

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
2 Thank The_Toe
nj
Reviewed 30 April 2005

My two daughters (12 and 9) and I stayed at the Wild Horse for 3 nights during their spring break. We had picked this hotel because of the combination of Indian culture and resort location and were not dissapointed. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the food good. MY daughters loved the pool area, especially the water slide and made many new friends. We took advantage of the equestrian center and took trail rides into the desert. The Indian guides were very knowledgeable, and eager to share their heritage with us. They also let my horse crazy girls come out in the morning to help groom and prepare the horses for the days rides. Yes the hotel is a little away from the bustle of the city, but with a car rental you can be at the zoo, botanical gardens, shopping, and airport within 20 minutes. Restaurants are even closer. As a mom traveling alone with two kids, I felt comfortable, and the concierge was very helpful with setting up activities, directions to places, etc. I would definitely stay here again and bring my husband and older children too.

4 Thank canu
Washington
Reviewed 30 April 2005

I stayed there for a conference with my family, and figured since it was a sheraton resort it would be great. I am a gold member and still booked a upgraded room. When we got there there was a welcome card for someone else and a bottle of water and cereal. We figured they gave us the wrong room, and called. They informed me that we were in the right room, but could w save the card and amenities. They spent 10 minutes figuring out which amenity to remove, and after a long drive we thought this was ridiculous. We had an average stay until the end. We had previously asked if we could bring a special bottle of wine to drink around there fire pit, and was assured that it was ok. When we came down with a glass for each of us, we were told that we had to purchase one of the house wines, at 50-100 dollars a bottle. We declined and ran into a friend of ours who offered us a glass of wine from a bottle that he had purchased from the restaurant. As we were talking a security person with a staff member attempted to "kick us out" because we brought our own alcohol. Since we had a bottle from there restaurant, we were told we could stay.
This is not something you would expect from a resort. I complained and was told that they would get back to me. That was over a month ago, and I guess they really do not care what others think. When I told them that I have never been treated that way before at a Hilton, they told me "then go stay at a hilton." As a result I will never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005, travelled on business
7 Thank jimandthefamily
Reviewed 29 April 2005

----
Just go.... might want to take along munches everything is resort prices.
Took mom for her 70th Birthday on labor day weekend after a year full of cancer treatments.
She loved the place, had a room near the river/golf course and opened the windows to listen to the falls.
Enjoyed the boat ride to the casino
Took mom to the Kai Restaurant for her birthday..... well worth every penny.... only open tues-sat found this out when we went back sunday
night....mom doesn't like expensive restaurants but really liked this place.
made us want to sample each others food...... I have been to MANY restaurants from the russian tea room on down in my over 21 years of age and let me tell you.... this is a VERY Impressive place .... I would rate it very high.... better than peter lugars in New York.....(less expensive). Know wonder it has as many award as it does.... don't forget the fry bread.

We are local to phoenix arizona area and travel to the resorts nearby with the summer discounts.... this place is a true resort.... and very relaxing with activities for all young and old.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
kalamazoo, MI
Reviewed 9 April 2005

This property has much to offer those who seek luxury within the tranquility of the desert, a combination that seems to be dwindling in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. We've been vacationing in the area for 10 years--mostly at Marriott's Camelback Inn, and last year at the Westin Kierland--and wanted to try a resort less surrounded by city traffic.

This property was the perfect solution. We stayed 6 nights, starting on April 3, and the resort is certainly not too long a drive from city conveniences when we wanted to shop/dine. For example, we were filming wild horses on the desert a few hundred yards from the resort and 15 minutes later were sitting down for lunch at PF Changs in Chandler, where upscale shopping is plentiful. You don't have to take the freeway to get there, either.

Yes, you do need a car if you want to be out and about, but we actually didn't want to leave the resort. The pool area is beautiful; the slide is fun and the 85 degree heated water felt great even when the weather was a sunny 96 degrees. My husband and I golfed twice, trying both courses on the resort property, and I think it is my favorite luxury golf experience, topping others in northern MI, FL and AZ. Kierland golf is tough to beat, but the setting is more glorious at Wild Horse Pass.

I wanted to get a lot of walking in on this trip, and the resort has a lovely desert walking trail around the golf courses as well as a river walk area that leads to the casino. I'm not a casino fan, and the one adjacent to the resort was far enough away that we didn't feel any sort of casino atmosphere (yuck!) at the resort. Tried the spa, too, which is not as large as that at Marriott's Camelback Inn, but it's very serene.

Okay, a down side is pricey dining. We ate by the pool and at the golf club and had reasonable lunches (around $30 for two ppl). I'd recommend eating by the pool just before sunset--the gorgeous view of the sunset makes this a bargain, no matter how much you spend.

Any problems other reviewers noticed with staff service were certainly NOT evident during our stay; in fact, all experiences with staff were a pleasure.

Finally, the rooms are typical of Starwood high end properties, with very comfy beds and the requisite luxury decor. The look of the property itself is absolutely right for the desert--adobe, stone, wood and perfect desert landscape--and not the silly pseudo-oasis and marble look some resorts go for.

We were married at the Camelback Inn, so that must remain my favorite, but this resort comes in second of all we've visited in AZ.

16 Thank travelerkalamazoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!