“What a Great Place!”

Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Chandler
“What a Great Place!”
Reviewed 1 May 2006

I just returned from a three-night stay at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa near Phoenix. I was there for a business conference (April 23-26). My overall impression was very positive. First, I can't say enough about how nice the staff was. Just one example: I needed to have special meals delivered to the hotel from a restaurant in Phoenix. The hotel did a wonderful job coordinating with the restaurant, making sure I got my meals on time, and always asking if I wanted the meal delivered to my room. In addition, the staff are very friendly and give lots of smiles (seems like a little thing, but coming from NY, means a lot). My room was comfortable and clean, the bathtub was very spacious, and the water pressure in the separate shower was great. The bed was comfortable (although I didn't like the pillows that much). One minor quibble: I wish that there were more channels available on the television, and also feel that the music channels should be free, not pay-for. Also, I wish there was a microwave.

The hotel itself is pretty, and with a waterfall in the lobby (flowing outside), conveys a certain lushness in the desert. The landscaping outside, with its variety of desert flora and flowing streams, adds to the lush feeling. There's a great view of the desert from the front lobby area. The swimming pools are heated very nicely, and are very clean. However, they are on the shallow side (mostly under 4'). The water slide is cute. The "recreated" (and very shallow) Gila River that flows through the property is very nice, and I recommend taking the small electric boat that travels to the casino and golf course. It's very pleasant.

Overall, I'd give my experience a 9 out of 10.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 April 2006

What seperates a good hotel from a great one is attention to detail. Whether in the construction, the facilities, the service, or the people, the difference between good and great is a fine line. On any given day, that line can tip a little, but overall, the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass really delivers!

The ambience of this hotel is spectacular. Keep in mind you are staying at a Sheraton, but a Sheraton financed with funding from the Gila River indian casinos. The hotel was paid for in cash, and it shows in nearly every detail. From the spectacular lobby and sprawling pool area to the small details of the flatware in the restaurants, every inch of this resort was thoroughly planned and well-executed.

The rooms are comfortable and true to the Southwestern theme. Our deluxe room over the pool and lagoon included an oversized leather chair and ottoman, large desk for working space, and a well-appointed bathroom. Try to reserve a room overlooking the pool and lagoon side of the hotel.

The food in the restaurants was great. We particularly liked the morning breakfast buffet, and don't miss the amazing pancakes on the menu. Honestly, everyone was raving about them. If you are a fan of $11 resort burgers, the Wild Horse Pass doesn't dissapoint. Note that every time you say thank you to a staff member (which is often because they anticipate your needs), they will all respond with 'it's my pleasure.' They sincerely mean it. The staff is focused on getting a 5-star rating for the property. Their service and attitude was far better than many of the stuffy 5-star resorts in nearby Scottsdale. From the bellman to the valet to the poolboy, everyone at this resort is clearly focused on the customer. The Aji Spa is amazing (see my separate review). The menus at the restaurant are creative, unique and cultural. The hotel is not cheap, but I'm willing to pay a fair price for first class food and service, and this hotel delivers.

There are lots of nearby activities. The hotel has the Koli Equestrian Center for those who like to ride horses. The golf courses looked amazing. Every inch of the property is landscaped with desert flowers. The indian casino is a short ten minute walk or five minute boatride from the hotel. The casino itself is nothing exceptional, other than the fact that it funds this terrific hotel. Rawhide western theme park is just up the road. Not really recommended, although the steakhouse is good (and very casual, with so-so service). There are great malls within a 10 minute drive of the property. But my guess is that you won't want to leave once you settle down there.

If there is one flaw to the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass, it is their tendency to book for conventions. That can lead to a hit and miss experience. We were there two days with no conventions, and virtually had the place to ourselves. When we wanted to stay an additional night, they couldn't advise us of whether they would have space until the morning of, and then the answer was no. Even as a Starwood Platinum spending over $500 a day there at the spa and restaurants alone, they couldn't squeeze us in an additional night or two. Most of the complaints on this site seem to have come from vacationers who were caught between a throng of conventioneers. Keep in mind the hotel is relatively small (500 rooms), so they can't cater to large groups anyway.

We plan to return to the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass once a year for relaxation and spa treatments. Even if the hotel is frenetic, you can find peace, quiet and solitude in the spa area, and even spend an easy half a day there. The spa services are not cheap, but this is not your strip mall day spa. You need to compare the spa to the Camelback Inn or the Phoenician, and for this spa user, it sets a new standard the Scottsdale spa snobs will have a tough time matching. The Aji Spa makes the Phoenician facilities look like a tired 24-Hour Fitness locker room.

And by the way, I did in fact see wild horses running through the indian reservation from my balcony! I was told this is pretty rare, but I saw a group of five of them. You can spend hours walking the peaceful grounds, enjoying the desert landscaping, the sound of birds surrounding you, horseback riders in the distance. If you're looking for an Arizona Hotel that isn't landscaped like a hawaiian resort, this place may become one of your favorites also. Hats off to the Wild Horse Pass!

• Stayed April 2006
15 Thank SDSteve
Reviewed 19 April 2006

This was a great property. Awesome people, great service, clean, good food....perfect.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ottawa
Reviewed 11 April 2006

I absolutely loved this hotel. I've travelled extensively and have not found a similar resort of this nature. I attended a conference there in June and although it was very busy, there was never a problem with check-in/check-out, the staff were extremely polite and hard-working. The rooms were not of a "normal" hotel room structure; the huge marbled bathrooms were spotless, the furniture was rustic and I was pleased to see a Native theme throughout including the bed duvets. I'd go back in a second. If you are looking for a close-to-town or walking distance hotel, this is not it. I took a couple trips to the malls which cost approx. 25US one way which is very reasonable. Great resort!

• Stayed June 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank ottawagirl33
Chicago
Reviewed 3 April 2006

My husband and 7 & 9 year old daughters just spent one evening at the resort for Spring Break. The service was wonderful. I travel a great deal and am very particular about places that I stay and the service that I expect. The hotel and staff did not disappoint.

The room was nice, clean and nicely decorated. The pool was great for the kids and we were able to keep an eye on them at any time. We were there at the height of Spring Break and it wasn't over crowded and again the service was wonderful.

We did not take a horse trail ride - however, we walked over to see the horses. The people that were running the stables we wonderful and very freindly.

The restaurant at the hotel was top notch - not a lot of selection but what they had was fabulous - and they did have a kid menu.

I would probably not stay over a couple fo days with kids unless you planned on taking trips - I think that my kids would have gotten bored with the pools if all we did was hang at them for the entire trip.

I would recommend this to families and couples as the hotel was not filled with children.

For the price I would stay at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale (which is where we spent the rest of our week). But if you are looking for very low key w/ fabulous service and a bit more intimate - you won't be disappointed.

When you make a reservation - try to avoid the parling lot view (obviously) but for this price I would have been disappointed if I hadn't had the fabulous view (as opposed to the parking lot)

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank familytravel4
Reviewed 28 March 2006

Just returned from the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass
Can't say enough ...
Rooms were spacious and clean
Restaurant on premises was delicious- try the buffalo filet and the lobster corndog for a culinary adventure
Desert hiking trail-lovely ask concierge for map
Staff - courteous and helpful
Golf course - played both great desert courses staff helpful
Sunsets- breathtaking
Pool- well designed, attentive
Spa-luxurious
Ask for AAA discount room was 290.00 a night

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vinton, Virginia
Reviewed 18 March 2006

What a great time we had at the Wild Horse! When we first arrived, our room was not ready, so we went to the outdoor cafe near the pools, and the start of a great time began. In about an hour, our very clean room was ready, with a nice balcony overlooking the recreated Gila river--a boat service is free from the resort to the golf courses and the Casino. The food was of course, overpriced, but hey, it's a resort what do you expect? It was, however, always delicious. It's still hard to pay 4$ for a small glass of OJ.
The golf courses are AMAZINGLY well maintained and perfectly groomed, and challenging to play. I played 3 times and loved each time. The staff was very helpful and pleasant there.
The Aji Spa was perhaps the most pleasant surprise to my wife and I. We've been to some pretty famous spas back East (Homestead, Greenbriar) and this was different but equally as nice. For 40$ we got a "week pass" to the spa which allowed us use of the weight room, whirlpools, steam room, and outdoor warmed pool. The staff there were incredibly friendly and accomodating. We really loved that part of the stay.
If you want to save some money on dining and have a rental car (highly recommended), there are TONS of restaurants within 5 miles of the resort. Just drive back north towards Phoenix and take the 2nd or 3rd exit to plentiful shopping and food. We loved PeiWei, an asian diner that was cheap and tasty, as well as the chain Z'Tejas and several upscale steakhouses and italian places.

Overall, high ratings and would DEFINITELY go there again!

Stayed February 2006
6 Thank BigLuke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!