“Very good stay, but not a flawless one.”

Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Chandler
Monterey Bay, CA
“Very good stay, but not a flawless one.”
Reviewed 24 April 2007

My daughter, mother and I stayed here for 3 nights in early April. I got a great rate, and never having been to AZ before, wanted to try out a couple of places. We also stayed ay JW Marriott Starr Pass and the Thuderbird Lodge at the GCNP on this trip. Having quite a few Starwood points racked up, I asked about using some points to upgrade to a view room, but none were available. So, I asked if we could be close to the elevator, due to the fact that my mother is disabled, but does not need an accessible room. Yet, we could not be accomodated with 2 beds. So we trekked to our room, which was fine. I thought it was a bit small for 3 people, especially with my mom's scooter. Yet my daughter loved the balcony where she could see the little boats travel the "river".

We loved the pools and the poolside service. I did have to pretty much beg to have an umbrella brought to our area of the pool. There were some not being utilized and I thought they should have been put out so guests could use them instead of having to ask for them to be brought out. Yet, once we were settled, we had a nice time relaxing. Our servers at the pool were exceptional. I never had to wait for a drink, food or even just a refill of iced-tea.

We went over to Rawhide one evening for the steakhouse and to let my daughter go the petting zoo, train etc... The steakhouse was wonderful, and we loved the band who played. My daughter danced for most of the meal up on the dance floor. I guess she likes country music! Who knew?

The valet service was fast and courteous. They even loaded my mom's scooter which was nice. It weighs 75 pounds and gets heavy!

My daughter went to the kids club one day, yet there was only one other little girl in the club that day. In the end it turned out great, because they were close in age and had practically a private experience with Andrew the camp counselor. He even took the girls on the water slide. My daughter said her day at the club was the best part of the vacation. They watched a movie, went to the spa and had their nails done, took the boat ride and went swimming.

The biggest problem I had during our stay was the difficulty my mom had getting around without me. None of the doors in or out of the resort, for example, to the pool or back into the lobby were handicapped accessible. She often had to get up off her scooter and open the door, prop it open, get back on the scooter and go in. This was very painful for her to do on a regular basis. The lock on the pool was up high and not easily accessible. Perhaps a key slot at a lower level would be a better alternative. Also, having to hike to our room at the end of the Pima wing was frustrating every time she wanted ice. She has Sjogren's syndrome which causes her to have a very dry mouth. She needs a lot of ice. So, I left a note for housekeeping with a small tip asking for ice to be brought when the room was cleaned. The tip was taken, but no ice was brought. So, the next day, I did the same (silly me) and left another tip and another note. Once again, no ice. I don't feel like it was an inappropriate request, so I don't know why it wasn't done. So, with the ice bucket being very small, I went back and forth at least 4 times a day to get ice for my mom.

We did not eat at any of the main restaurants, mainly because we were out during the day and wanted to try things while we were out.

Also, beware of the very slippery showers! I could not let my daughter take a shower by herself because the floor was so slippery. The large bathtub was nice, but also very slippery.

I also have to agree with another reviewer who mentioned the less-than-luxurious bathroom toiletries. Vaseline lotion is not what I expected at a resort of this level. Even regular Marriott's have nicer bath amenities. But what I did see on the maid carts were very nice Molton Brown toiletry kits for some of the rooms. I don't know who decides which toiletries go in which room. But I didn't like knowing that even being a Starwood member on the preferred floor would not mean anything in terms of differentiated service.

Overall, it was a nice stay and I'm glad we decided to give it a shot. Having so many nice resorts in the Phoeniz area, though, I'd hesitate to stay here again if I were with my mother who did have so many difficulties.

• Liked — The poolside servers
  • Disliked — No ice!
2 Thank RDanielsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Korean first
Western, MA
Reviewed 21 April 2007

Had a recent visit of four nights with my wife. Echoing the sentiments of other recent guests, the service is great. Everyone is attentive and pleasant, but not overbearing. The rooms are upper end chain hotel nice, with large bathrooms.The setting is very nice, exspecially the fact that it is set back from the congested highways of Phoenix. The desert views were beautiful.

The food throughout the resort is fantastic. The service at Kai is a wonder to behold. (Had I been there with my kids, though, I would have said not enough family choices)

The pools were very nice, with varying temps, which was great. Went on a horseback ride set up through the equestrian center and it was great fun for both of us (my first ride ever; my wife used to be a competitive rider). The spa was peaceful and relaxing, although the cheapest massage at $125 is way over priced.

We went into Phoenix for a Diamondbacks game, also a great time.

This brings me to the biggest warning about this resort: If you are planning on going ANYWHERE in Phoenix more than once, rent a car. For one round-trip taxi/car service trip to airport and one round trip to the baseball stadium, it cost well over $200. And the price of the service varies widely - The first trip from the airport was $47 with tip. The night after the baseball game, stuck in night-time trafiic was over $70. At $100 a round trip, a car would be a good choice if you want to get around.

That aside, we would definitely go back

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jbmd
Reviewed 18 April 2007

My husband, three children and I returned a few days ago from a five night stay at the Wild Horse Pass. I would have to agree with so many of the previous reviews when I say that the service was superb-- super friendly and genuine--really on par with Ritz Carlton/ Four Seasons--if in some ways not even better because the staff here seems genuinely interested in making your stay fantastic. The resort itself seems remote--just beautiful mountain and desert views. Our rooms were average sized and well-furnished, but nothing remarkable. Cleanliness in our room and around the resort was pristine. A small thing, but, for an up-scale resort, the in-room shampoo/conditioner and lotions were drug-store brand (like Vaseline brand lotion)--not a big deal---just surprising.

There are several pools here and although the weather was in the 80s, only one pool was really warm enough for swimming. Plenty of towels were available poolside, but generally, you had to go into the towel "hut" yourself to get a towel because it wasn't always staffed--but no big deal. Service around the pool for pina coladas, smoothies, etc was fine. We didn't eat at the poolside restaurant.

There is a $20 per person per day charge to use the fitness room. We choose not to and instead walked the 2 1/2 mile desert walking trail which was fun. We didn't golf. Our kids however attended the "cowboy clinic" at the nearby equestrian center which they all loved. Our family went horseback riding (again through the equestrian center) and we had a great time. The guides were very friendly and it was a wonderful family experience.

There are plenty of organized children's activities that you would never know existed if you just looked at the hotel's web-site. Some were free, like a scavenger hunt, (pool) slide races, water balloon toss and s'mores around a bonfire on Friday nights. Other children's activites were fee based, like the cowboy clinic, golf lessons and tennis clinic. We were at the resort Easter week and the staff seemed overwhelmed by the amount of kids who wanted to participate in the various activities. By the end of the week, they finally seemed to have enough supplies to run the various actitivies.

We had breakfast and dinner at Kosins. At breakfast there is a delicious buffet. On the breakfast menu they have some unusual twists on standard breakfast fare which was fun. For dinner, two of our kids ate off of the kid's menu (chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, etc). We requested a simpler version of one of the adult entrees for our almost 10 year old and they were very happy to accommodate him. Service here, like everywhere else on the resort, was wonderful. Our whole meal for our family of five came to $180 which included two glasses of wine but no dessert. Pretty pricey for us...we ended up eating dinner off property the other nights.

We really had a wonderful time here and will consider staying here again. Someone from Sheraton reservations mentioned to me that Sheraton will soon be listing this as a "luxury" resort and will raise the prices accordingly---so book soon!!!

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — restaurant prices
1 Thank Michigan Mom of three
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2007

Resort hotel with many amenities relatively close to Phoenix. On golf course, casino nearby and pools/waterslide on premises.
Staff are very friendly and helpful and attentive.

For stays longer than a few days pls be cautioned, food/restaurant choice is limited and one repeats fairly quickly (especially for vegetarians).

Hotel charges for many additional amenities including 10$ per day for internet, 12$ for some phone calls for the first minute, 2$ for access to 1-800 numbers, 20$ per day for use of the gym AND they charge an early cancellation fee if, once you arrive, you need to shorten your stay from the one originally booked.

It is not located near any other amenities/stores so a car is a must or you will be captive on a very large property.

If you go with a group and want to be near others from your group advise at check in at hotel is very spread out and it is easily a 10 min walk from one end to the other.

• Liked — clean and friendly
  • Disliked — extra charges, distance from the nearest anything
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Lambert B
New York
Reviewed 9 April 2007

My husband, son (12) and I stayed for a week at the Sharaton Wild Horse Pass in April, 2007. This was our second trip to this hotel....we stayed here about 3 years ago when it had only been operating for a little while. We loved this hotel then and it still remains one of our favorites.

Positives:

1. Service. As mentioned on this website over and over, the service here is spectacular and can compete with any Four Season, Ritz Carlton etc. etc.
2. Food. The food is very good at the 3 restaurants we ate in (including the pool), but Kai is amazing. Worth every penny.
3. Setting. The setting is beautiful. It is quiet, peaceful and the scenery and views of the desert are incredible. No streets, no noise, nothing but miles of Indian Reservation to look out on.
4. Rooms. The hotel rooms are fine....nothing special, but ours were clean, the air conditioners worked perfectly, the bathrooms were fine (tile not marble) and the best part was a door opening to a balcony which let in all that fresh Arizona air. Being in a room with windows or doors that open makes up for a room being a bit small.
5. Spa. The spa had a wonderful work out room which opens early (I used it daily at 6AM), a quiet pool and I had 3 treatments (masages) which were first rate.

I have stayed at a Four Season where the rooms were smaller and the services at the spa (massages) were not nearly as good. This hotel can compete with some of the best hotel chains, no problem.

Negatives:

1. The linens need to be updated. Higher end bed sheets should be used, and a down comforter should be wrapped in sheets (or something that is changed daily), not a duvee..... where multiple guests may use the same one, like a comforter.
2. The pool area when we were there (maybe the busiest week of the year) was a bit hectic..... Too many people and not enough staff . There needs to be someone there to take control over the chairs, towels etc. We also waited too long for service at the pool restaurant for lunch as there were too many customers and not enough wait staff. They need to address this "over crowding at the pool" problem when there is a convention being held there or if it's spring break....whatever. We only spent one day at the pool as we were in Phoenix to play golf off site, but I don't think I could have stood hanging out at the pool day after day as it was just too hectic and not relaxing. Perhaps they need to designate one of their pools as a "quiet" pool or an "adult only" pool.
3. Our son was in a connecting room to ours and his bed was never turned down at night. They must have known someone was staying in there, no? We left a note and it was quickly taken care of.

All in all, this is a great resort, and I will come back here again. It is one of my favorite places with exceptional (and friendly) service. The only problem is that everyone is now finding out about it.......

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Bed linens
1 Thank lovetogoonvacations
Dix Hiils, NY
Reviewed 7 April 2007

My wife, two teenage children and I just returned from a wonderful vacation at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass resort. I highly recommend this resort for a family vacation away from the "hustle and bustle".

The resort is located about 15 minutes south of the Phoenix airport on an Indian Reservation. The resort itself is beautiful, with a decidedly Native American style throughout the complex. The service was top notch. Every employee we encountered greeted us with a smile and a warm hello that seemed quite genuine. We had no problems with any aspect of the hotel's service. In fact, I'd rate it as exceptional.

Expect an average size room, but one in nearly new condition. We had two adjacent rooms in the Maricopa wing, a short walk to the two fairly large pools that sit next to each other in front of a beautiful view of the mountains in the distance.

My son and I played the two highly rated golf courses on the adjacent Whirlwind Golf property--the Devil's Claw and Cat Tail. They were probably the most meticulously kept courses I've ever played. I would highly recommend them. The service at the golf facility was stellar, as well.

There are two walking trails on the property that stretch out into the desert, with an array of wildlife keeping the walks interesting. There are also a casino and equestrian center on the reservation, though we didn't explore them. We did go on a horse drawn coach ride which was fun, but rather dusty.

There is a top rated gourmet restaurant at the hotel, but we elected to eat most of our meals in Scottsdale or Phoenix. We didn't mind the drive, but be advised that downtown Phoenix is a 25-30 minute drive, while you should allow 40-50 minutes to Scottsdale, depending on the part of town you're going to. While we had a number of good meals, our favorite was Wildfish Grille in the Scottsdale Fashion Center area.

We will definitely return.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Average Size Rooms
2 Thank JLTP
Duxbury, ma.
Reviewed 28 March 2007

As a frequent traveler in an industry trade show circuit, I've been to some very nice and even extraordinary properties in my travels.
my stay at the Wild Pass was NICE...but...and I will elaborate the negative after advocating the positive.
The rooms were Nice...but not spectacular.....
the property was Nice...but unexceptional maybe 3-4 star...
the spa was Nice...but a good several minute walk from the main property.
The pool was Nice...and the service was exceptional...in every way....That was spectacular effort at it's finest...
Kai...was unequivocally one of the finest dining experiences in my lifetime..extraordinary.....the best... and worth every bit of the price we paid for the seven course with wine pairing! fantastic!
This is a Nice property...but, it leaves you with a sense of being quite unfinished...unpolished....and just above ordinary...at five star prices..
and finally..my greatest woe during my visit, the security..
They acted like gestapo at bar closing. If they sold you a drink, and they did, at 1:55am,, they threatened to take it from you shortly after due to some sort of tribal law. (the property is on Indian land).
a word of advice to the owners! Don't sell me a drink for five star prices and purposefully intimidate guests for unfinished cocktails soon after. It was offensive, provocative, and forceful in nature, and certainly overtook any proclivity I would ever have in returning.
Certainly...unpolished ,unaccomodating, and disappointing in a city with many fine alternatives in terms of polished offerings in properties.

• Liked — Kai, the pool staff
  • Disliked — the security at last call
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank TheDuffer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#21 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!