““The Worst BBQ in Texas!””
Review of Rudy's

Rudy's
Ranked #6 of 666 Restaurants in Chandler
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Description: Our pits are 100% wood fired with oak, a slower burning wood than the mesquite used by others. Along with time and oak, we cook with a dry spice that ensures each plate of Rudy's Bar-B-Q is perfectly ready for you. Apply some of our famous "Sause" and dinner is served.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

That's what Rudy's posts on their signs in Texas. We have family in the San Antonio area, and my wife was stationed there in the Army, and so we got to know and love Rudy's. About two years ago, I was thrilled to see an old gas station being torn down and Rudy's coming in its place! Even better - only three miles from my home.

I have been a regular customer since then, trying pretty much everything on the menu. I am particularly fond of the brisket and the turkey, but everything is above average. As others have noted, you stand in line to get waited on, walking past the iced tub of cold beers, your food is sliced/served fresh, and you head past the condiment table (white bread, onions, pickles, peppers, some packaged condiments) and find a table.

The creamed corn is the best I have ever had, other sides are decent (though the green chili is a little too spicy for me). The have "Rudy's Sause" and "Sissy Sause" available, though the smokes meat is good on its own.

My only complaints? It's a little pricey, and sometimes the wait is a little long, but in Rudy's case, I think it is worth it.

There are newer reviews for Rudy's

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is actually called a restaurant, it's a meat market with lots of picnic tables, indoors, and on a screened patio. You buy different roasted and BBQ'd meats by the pound, and they are given to you on waxed paper, with bread, for you to take to a table. They have side dishes by the container, and lots of condiments. Quite an experience!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just like I remember it from my days living in DALLAS!

My fiance and I showed up on a Saturday night to a line out the door, which took us about 35 minutes to get through, but that wasn't a big deal, so we waited and enjoyed dinner.

We had Pulled pork sandwiches - A+ Excellent, cooked to perfection and full of flavor

New Potatoes smothered in butter - Absolutely amazing (just like i remembered) probably going to lead to a heart attack

Coleslaw - Not sure, but the fiance said it was amazing

Creamed corn - very tasty and sweet

We each had a beer from the large selection on hand.

Overall it was a great dinner and only $30

Also, the dining style is basic and makes you feel welcome and free to get messy with the sauces.

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Food is served on butcher paper and carried out on milk racks but don't let this dissuade you! The BBQ especially the brisket is delicious! If you make it in early the breakfast tacos with jalapeño sausage is also good....I might have eaten here twice in 48 hours!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

It was a bit odd how you start, order and eat your food,but the food was really good. When I mentioned it was my first time the girl started giving me samples and making recommendations. I ended up with lean brisket, turkey, red buttered potatoes, corn on the cob. YUMMY it was. Didn't like either of the BBQ sauces but the meat was tasty without them!