“Incredible Sashimi!”
Review of Shimogamo

Shimogamo
Reserve with OpenTable
Shimogamo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 670 Restaurants in Chandler
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N Dobson Rd
Reviewed 21 July 2014

For months I have tried to book a weekend table at Shimogamo Japanese Restaurant in Chandler, but one was never available before 8 p.m., so when I tried in the middle of a week and saw openings I grabbed one. What is the mystery about this restaurant?

We received a nice welcome and with our reservations in order we were quickly seated. This is a small restaurant with an active sushi bar, so my guess is that tables are booked well in advance as this restaurant seems to have a loyal following. I was a little concerned about the sushi bar as the sushi chefs were Anglos and busy jib-jabbing as they worked. A little too noisy for me and besides what do these guys know about sashimi/sushi?

The menu was nicely diversified and since I came for sashimi, I limited myself to the other selections. My wife and I both enjoyed the House salad which was a combination of mixed greens, onion, carrots and bean curd mixed in a very nice miso dressing as well as a Miso soup. From there I moved on to Fried Oysters that were Panko breaded and served with home-made Worcestershire sauce and creamy dill-tar tar sauce. These were nice, but I would have been much happier if they were done yakitori style. I find that when Panko breaded, they simply become too large.

My wife, who does not enjoy sashimi, selected a Chicken Cutlet which was also Panko-breaded, deep fried and served with Tonkatsu sauce. While she indicated she enjoyed the cutlet, I sensed that the Panko breading overwhelmed her. Again, yakitori for the choice of the chicken would have been preferred.

The star for the evening was the three types of sashimi; tuna, yellowtail and a white fish. Simply incredible. This compared well to the sashimi I enjoyed over the years working in Tokyo. This is world class sashimi! Hard to believe that this restaurant has been under my radar. Now I know why they have such a fan base. It is difficult to find sashimi of this quality in Arizona.

We will be back……….frequently.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The best Nigiri Sushi, Sushi rolls, Sashimi and small Japanese dishes in Arizona! My friends from Japan, when they're taking a break from steak, only go to Shimogamo for its authenticity, high quality and utterly delicious menu! I go on many special occasions.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Fresh, delicious, and great atmosphere. We came in for birthday dinner and were not at all disappointed!!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was surprised at how great the sushi was considering its Chandler Arizona. I would have expected somthing this great to have been in a big city. We tried 5 different rolls and each one was better. This is now my go to sushi place in Chandler.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Everything was amazing.... Sushi was very high quality, excellent choices in Saki, Very nice variety of sushi rolls with unique tastes. Definitely want to go back next time I am in Chandler, AZ