“Close to Downtown and a Good Pool”

Crowne Plaza Phoenix - Chandler Golf Resort
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Chandler
Denver, CO
“Close to Downtown and a Good Pool”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is my first choice of hotel in Chandler. In spite of that, I'm giving the an average score after much thought because of 2 items that would likely be a problem for anyone other than me and my husband. If the hotel improves upon these 2 things, absolutely a Very Good.

Issues I know would really bother some people:
1. The slow drain meant that there was quite a bit of standing water in the tub by the end of my shower that took a while to drain afterwards. I did not report this to the hotel so I'll admit that is not fair to them.
2. Housekeeping made our bed and gave us new towels - that's it. Countertops were not wiped down, pretty sure nothing was vacuumed. Didn't clean the coffee maker and left only one packet of coffee refill. First world problems, room wasn't gross or anything. But that's average service at best when compared to other hotels.

If you can overlook those 2 items, don't think twice:
1. Staff was friendly. Because they had a room free in the morning, they provided early check-in.

2. Rooms very recently updated and clean overall. The decor is great. I slept well in the comfy bed. AC worked well.

3. I love the pool area and really the grounds in general are lovely. No, it's not Scottsdale resort fancy, but there was ample seating, plenty of towels, and it was clean. We spent every morning at the pool. The hot tub is large, the pool is a nice size. There's also outdoor seating near the lobby with fire pits for cool desert nights (assuming that exists). The $10/day resort fee covers the towels, etc.

4. There's a breakfast place and a coffee shop in the hotel, adjacent to the pool area. Breakfast pastries at the coffee shop (made by the hotel) were top notch. The scone was delicious as was the croissant - not the dried-out junk I expected at all.

5. Location cannot be beat for the suburbs. Downtown Chandler has plenty of restaurants and bars that are walking distance to the hotel. San Tan Brewing and a new place called Perch offer excellent beer and food selections. I believe there is a theater nearby as well.

6. Golf course (closed right now) looks like it would be great for a morning round of golf if that's what you like. There's also a tennis court at the back of the property.

7. Free wifi!

Got a great deal online. I hope I can grab a similar deal when I return for Christmas with my family so I can stay here again.

Room Tip: West side is closer to the tennis court. East side closer to the pool. It was generally quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kab77
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix - Chandler Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
We greatly appreciate your review of the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Resort and we were pleased to read that you enjoyed our newly renovated resort and our ideal location. Please allow me to apologize for our housekeeping department’s lack of attention to detail in cleaning your guestroom. I will be certain to address this with our Executive Housekeeper. Thank you for bringing the slow tub draining issue to our attention. Our Engineering Department is working on a permanent solution to this problem.
We look forward to seeing you and your family back at Christmas.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Sedona, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a great place to stay and celebrate. If you are a golfer there is a great golf course one of the original in Arizona. Lots of places to eat close by. Good entertainment. You can get anything you want or desire.

Room Tip: Get a handicap
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix - Chandler Golf Resort, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort! We agree that this is a great place to stay and we were pleased to see you enjoyed our great location. We look forward to your next visit.
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Nice place to stay, staff is nice and polite. Lots of history in this landmark, remodeled original rooms on second floor to administrative offices and meeting rooms.
Very close to good restaurants and bars. I didn't have any issues during my stay.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix - Chandler Golf Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort.
We are pleased that you enjoyed our remodeled resort and wonderful staff. We look forward to seeing you back again!
San Mateo CA
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I could actually give this 3.5 I guess. The location is great if you are staying at the hotel for a meeting. A block a way are a lot of great and fun restaurants and bars that made for a lively evening life. The hotel was generally nice but it just seemed tired. The golf and tennis part of the equation is old and run down...maybe not even open. My room was just OK....not bad not great. Let me put it this way, calling it a "Golf Resort" is simply hyperbole, at least when I was there (at the heighth of the season btw).

If you are just looking for a place to sleep near the convention center this is not a bad choice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort. We agree that our location is ideal for dining and nightly entertainment but we were disappointed to read your comments that the hotel seemed tired as we recently completed a hotel renovation. Our golf course and clubhouse are currently closed for a renovation and will re-open in the fall. We know that a visit after its renovation will earn us back the title “Golf Resort.” Thank you again for your comments.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 May 2014

After reading some of the other reviews, I was a bit concerned about choosing this hotel - but I was glad that I did! It is a large property arranged in a series of courtyards. Those courtyards have vegetation and birds - which can create some dirt. Howver it was a lovely hotel, my room was great and they even have a quiet section on the 4th floor, west elevator area. I used the fitness facilitie3s, and they are better than most other hotel's and have three treadmills. It is in a great part of town near restaurants, bars and boutique shops. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: 4th Floor West Elevator area if you want quiet!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank randisbrown
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort. We were glad to read that you gave us the chance to show you a few of our many amenities that make our resort a great choice – location, newly renovated rooms, and updated fitness facility. We look forward to your next stay.
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The hotel section of the resort has recently been renovated - beautiful. The golf course is in process of being renovated. I look forward each year to staying hear for a few days. I like the layout, the walkways are situated to receive the most cooling breezes. The staff is warm and welcoming. The bar has been moved from being connected to the restaurant to the lobby. I like that location better. It is a historic landmark located in downtown Chandler with many good places to eat in walking distance and not very far from the nearest freeway. For the price, it is a very good deal.

Room Tip: If you want quiet book the 4th floor. If you want to be close to downtown book on the east side. To...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix - Chandler Golf Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for reviewing the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort following your recent stay.
We were pleased to read that you enjoyed our recently renovated resort, our staff, and convenient location. We hope to see you back again next year!
Bangkok
Reviewed 3 May 2014

the building looks very nice from outside it is also located in the best location - right in downtown but for me - the staff were not welcoming at all and in the morning i've found a live cockroach on the bath floor - non of the staff apologized or felt bad about it - didn't like that at all
also - not so clean apparently
the price was 200$ which is pretty high for such return

Room Tip: find a room without cockroach
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort. Please allow me to express my apology regarding your poor customer service experience and the condition of your bathroom. This is certainly not our usual high standard of guest experience that we offer. We will be certain to address these issues with the appropriate staff members. Once again, thank you for your comments as this is crucial for us to improve the services that we offer.