“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lo Lo Mai Springs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cornville
Lo Lo Mai Springs
North Carolina
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

We booked several cabins for a family group stay in May. We had a Couple's Cabin and overall, it was comfortable and worked out fine for our needs. Another couple had the loft cabin and they did not find that comfortable at all. I think only children should be climbing up to go to bed. After a certain age, it's really not safe. The ladder to the loft bed wasn't attached so it could easily fall away from the bed.

It didn't bother us but a couple of people in our group had trouble sleeping because of the early morning crowing of a rooster nearby. We asked about it but the office staff acted like, "What rooster?"

The kitchen in our cabin was small and there's no - and I mean absolutely no - counter space. Fridge is also very small so I'm glad we didn't stay longer than a couple of days. Having a shower in the cabin was nice. The loft cabins don't have showers tho so our friends found that to be terribly inconvenient.

Our cabins were close to the "springs" which is basically a scummy pond. Yes, the story about the springs is interesting but it's still a scummy pond. We didn't encounter mosquitoes during our stay but it's early in the season and it hadn't rained yet. I'm sure the mosquito population explodes around the "springs" after the monsoon season arrives so if you're staying in or near the cabins then, expect to be bitten. .

The location is the biggest draw of this place. We waded into Oak Creek and hiked a couple of the trails near the creek. We sat outside under the shade of the trees and had great meals on one of the cabin decks. Our family agreed that we had a good time overall. The cabins are about the same price as a mid-price hotel room but definitely lacking the amenities of a hotel. I really didn't like paying that much to "rough it".

We did not have any negative encounters with the office staff but we also didn't encounter any problems that needed their attention. We're trying to decide if we want to come back next year but some in the group want to try another campground. So I would recommend this place only if you do your research, look at the pros and cons, read reviews and decide if the cost is worth the stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MollyMick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Surprise, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Since I grew up in MN, my experience with camping has been humidity, mosquitoes and feeling dirty all the time, so when I took my first camping trip in AZ I was pleasantly surprised. Our family camped via tent at a great site (T2) that was right by the creek where my girls could walk down to and swim in. My hubby and I even sat in the creek during the hot days. The main bathrooms were cleaner then some hotel rooms. The rope swing was a huge hit for my girls (7,11). The girls did say that the pool was freezing (still cool at night during June), so they avoided the pool, but absolutely loved swimming in the creek. The only downfall were the fire ants. They come out during the hot months and we were told the campsite we were on do get closed down once they get bad. My puppy did get bit by one on her paw, but she was trying to "attack" them and they turned on her. She was okay, but I would be weary of staying at T2 during June - August; otherwise we are planning on going again and even getting a membership. LOVED IT!!!!

Room Tip: First come, first serve --- try to get by the creek (t1 or T2) if you have a tent.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank marcib16
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed in the Willow Cabin May 30, 2013 and here is the sequence of events that led us to believe that there is an infestation.

1) We checked in, dropped off some luggage, and got some dinner with family.

2) After returning we slept and after awaking the next morning we noticed fresh blood stains, smears, and blotches on the sheets (May 31st).

3) We thought this was odd but did not immediately suspect bed bugs because there was no evidence of bites ... yet. We spot cleaned the sheets and while doing so we noticed faint dark stains of similar size on the sheets. While we cannot confirm the origin of the old set-in stains, they resembled the size of the fresh blood stains. There were so many new blood spots we gave up and left the sheets for the housekeeping dept.

4) The following evening I began noticing raised pink welts that were very itchy. First they appeared on my arms, then legs, torso, face, and hands. They follow tell-tale bed bug bite patterns. They occur in rows of 5 to 10 bites. They also occur near the edges of my pajamas (shorts and tee shirt). A colleague of ours is a college professor and internationally recognized expert on bed bugs. We called and he confirmed this was the work of bed bugs and that the extent of the bites was some of the worst he has encountered and was the work of a major infestation. I counted 254 bites on my body.

5) We stayed at a different location from the evening of May 31st for the remainder of our trip. I contacted Lo Lo Mai June 1st to bring the bed bugs to their attention. I spoke with someone at the front desk and explained the situation, she was skeptical that I was indeed bitten by bed bugs. I was put on hold and then forwarded to the owner. The owner was also skeptical and grew increasingly defensive as I continued to confront her with the problem. The skepticism seemed to be derived from the fact that my wife did not have evidence of bites. However, there were fresh blood stains on her side of the bed too, suggesting that she had also been bitten.

As far as the owner goes, my impression is that she seemed more concerned with her online reviews than with the well-being of her guests. She lost her temper in dealing with what is clearly a delicate situation and hung up on me after I requested a refund.

6) On June 2nd in the morning, the owner called my wife to follow-up and "get the facts." The owner did not ask to talk to me. The conversation did not last long, my wife said she was polite - but did not offer an apology for her poor behavior on the phone, nor did she express any concern whatsoever for the significant discomfort that I am still experiencing. She did say that she was looking into our complaint, they would hire and inspector, and that they were considering a refund.

My message to Lo Lo Mai: Keep the money, you need it more than I do.

7) Here is what we did to disinfect our belongings. Note that this took the better part of a day of our very short vacation. We bagged all of our clothes, dog beds, luggage ... everything. We took everything to the laundromat and placed what we could in industrial dryer. We set them on high heat and dried the articles for 1 hour. A number of items shrunk but it was worth the effort to not bring the bugs home (for which remediation can result in $1000s of damage). The items that we could not dry we placed in black plastic garbage bags and put them in the Arizona sun for an hour. Currently all of our stuff is in the garage and I am considering what to do next.

8) On June 9th bed bug bites are now evident on my wife. She has approximately 50 bites. Now it makes sense why there were fresh blood stains on both sides of the bed. According to the CDC, bed bug bites can take up to 14 days to develop. It has now been a week since bringing this to the attention of the Lo Lo Mai and we have not heard from them as to the status of the pest inspector's findings. For the safety of future travelers, I need to post this review, and should have done so earlier.

I provide this level of detail because of the extremely unprofessional nature of the owners at Lo Lo Mai. I understand that, in some cases, proprietors have no control over a new infestation of bed begs because bed bugs "hitch hike" their way around. In all fairness Lo Lo Mai probably did not know they had a problem. However, this is not the first time Lo Lo Mai has had a bed bug problem.

It's hard to describe my distaste for Lo Lo Mai, not because I was bit 250 times, but because they did not demonstrate that they are taking the allegation seriously. This puts their future guests at risk and possibly contributes to what is an increasing problem of travelers spreading bed bugs from hotel to hotel. The real issue is that they do not pretend to care about the well-being of their guests, and that they are short-tempered hosts.

My searches indicate that they have not reported this incident, suggesting that: 1) their inspector did not find bed bugs, 2) they never called an inspector, or 3) they are ignoring the inspector's findings. I suspect their reply to this review will include some form of denial or accusation that we were bit somewhere else. Recall the blood stains on the sheets the night we stayed at Lo Lo Mai. Or they might suggest that we brought the bed bugs with us. I contest that 250 bites on me and 50 on my wife is not the result of a few hitch hiking bed bugs. Also recall the opinion of our colleague the bed bug expert. His conclusions were that there is a major infestation. Either way, future travelers need to be made aware and I suggest they decide for themselves, based on the evidence in this review, whether or not there were indeed bed bugs at Lo Lo Mai.

I also suggest if you stay at Lo Lo Mai to refuse payment until you can inspect the cabin for bed bugs.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
24 Thank A R

Travellers are raving about these Cornville hotels

AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

This is a nice campground (also has RV spaces and rustic cabins for rent) with good ammenities such as showers, wi-fi and flushing restrooms (sorry - we tried the "rural camping" once, and that hole in the ground thingy just didn't cut it for me, (my obsessive nightmare that some poo monster was going to reach up from the stinky turf at the bottom of the pit and drag me, screaming, never to be heard from again to a toilet-paper drowing death meant I either had to hold on until we ventured back to humanity or I had to pee in a bush and risk being eaten alive by ticks...neither option was good).

There is also a pool and spa and a small playpark with a ball hoop and so on. Don't expect NBA standards though, we're talking a dusty patch of ground here. Having said that, all the kids seemed to be having a blast!! The little shop has basic provisions and snacks, including wood for the firepits each site has. We always camp when we stay here, so I can't comment on the RV or cabins, but every site we've tried has always been great. Yo get to choose on a first-come-first-serve basis. Some sites are by the Oak Creek, so you get the sound of bubbling water to sooth you to sleep, others are nesteled in the trees. Either way it's good.

Major bonus for us is that it is dog friendly (there is a sur-charge of, I think, $5 a night per dog), which is great for us as we always bring the pooch along. On the subject of money, I would say that is the only drawback - the cost. You pay per night, for 2 people, but they add on per child and per dog, so for us with 2 kids and a dog is added up to approx. $55 with tx a night, which despite the extras I feel is a bit steep. The location, though, which I guess is how come the can change so much, is only a 10-15minute drive to Sedona (and Cottonwood in the opposite direction, which has its own quaint charm), and we love to go hiking during the day.

Pick up a map of Sedona at a local gas station. Many hikes are free, but some require a day-pass that you can purchase from the gas station also. Your shoes will get covered in red dust, so don't wear your best whities!

Overall this is a great little place to stay. Rural enough you feel like you're in nature, but modern enough you don't have to confront the poo-monster and give up all semblance of 21st century living. Cell phone connection is poor here, but the wi-fi is generally reliable (although we barely used it). The staff are overall very pleasant although I agree with another poster about the grumpy guy in the front office.

Star of the show though has to be the raccoons and skunks that come out at night. Beautiful to see....almost worth the surcharges!!

Room Tip: You can head either left or right from the front office to choose a campsite. My personal recommenda...
5 Thank BuggalugsAz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We were looking for somewhere to stay near Sedona and chose Lo Lo Mai. It's about 13 miles south of Sedona just off Highway 89A.

The check-in process was simple and we were given a couple of choices of sites and from looking around there don't appear to be any bad ones, just good and even better. There are a couple of spots on grass right near the creek. The park is very shaded and has a couple of different levels that the kids enjoyed riding up and down on their bicycles - the shade having the added advantage of blocking the satellite TV signals.

The park is right next to Oak Creek and it looks like it could be a lot of fun to swim in during the summer. The facilities are spotless and well maintained with a laundry room (much needed with the Sedona desert dust!), restrooms, a kids play area and a ball court. When you get back exhausted from a day of hiking there's a pool, a hot tub and the office has a huge selection of videos that can be borrowed.

Each spot has a campfire and a table and you can buy a barrow full of wood for $8. The store also has a good supply of emergency items.

If you come out of the site and turn left there are a couple of vineyards that we found on our last day but didn't get the chance to check out.

It was an 800 mile drive to get to Sedona but we're definitely going back and definitely will stay at the Lo Lo Mai.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Si405
buckeye, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

My kids loved it, and my dogs also loved it. Fun things to do and the creek was beautiful, it even had a waterfall which you could see as you walk the trail. Enjoyed the cute racoons too :) We will def go back!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank alnjudy
Tempe, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

It is a nice place.. It has a playground for the kids, a swimming pool, basketball court and shuffle board. I wasnt real impressed with the "rec room". It basically just had a piano and movies. However, I would still recommend this place. I gave it 2 stars instead of 3 for two reasons. One, it was a bit pricey and although the staff was very nice, there was one guy that wasnt. I audit companies for a living and customer service is a huge thing. There was a man (It seemed to me they were the husband and wife that came during second shift) that had dark hair that I noticed in the afternoons. He is very rude. If you ask him something, he acts like you are bothering him. At one point when we were waiting for the racoons to come out. he rudely said "if you are quiet and stop shining the light maybe they will come out." Ironically, it was just as noisy the night before and there were people shining lights and they came out just fine. Either way, his tone was very condescending! My husband and I both asked him questions and def got the impression that he does not want to be bothered. The other staff is nice, but unfortunately this guy is around alot so you might have no choice but to communicate with him. The only other thing that I would suggest to the staff is name tags. The internet works great in the cabins, but I did notice that in some of the areas where the RVs are parked, it does not. Either way, our family had a good time!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank angela j
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cornville
Sedona Real Inn and Suites
Southwest Inn at Sedona
Southwest Inn at Sedona
#31 of 48 in Sedona
Verde Valley RV & Camping Resort

Been to Lo Lo Mai Springs? Share your experiences!