“Beware!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Lo Lo Mai Springs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cornville
Lo Lo Mai Springs
Phoenix, Arizona
“Beware!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This location is lovely. They didn't bothe us but the staff was terribly rude to chikldren and other campers. They zip around at high speed on golf carts. They yell. THey scream. They curse. The toilets and showers are filthy. The clubhouse is full of smelly cats. THe office has a family of skunks living next to it. They are floating on their old reputation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank Reviewer R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

we tented for one night. everything was perfect. no complaints. would come again and they get 5 stars from me. they had a nice pool and people can swim in the creek as well.
it is pretty close to sedona which is really worth seeing.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

My lady and I tent camped here and absolutely loved it. The staff was quite nice upon arrival and helped us locate reputable restaurants and fun activities in the area. Having the luxury of restrooms and hot showers definitely heightened our experience. The pool and hot tub were also great! If you are looking to have a relaxing getaway, look no further. Lo Lo Mai is where it's at.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

WOW! What a great time we had at Lo Lo Mai - peaceful, hanging out in the creek and playing, exploring, seeing the animals around and nightly raccoons and skunks ... very relaxing. We stayed in a cabin that was AWESOME - great kitchen and with outdoor grill we were able to cook all of our meals onsite and really didn't want to leave. Small camp store was fun for kids to go to. Pool and hot tub were nice. We also played some basketball and shuffleboard. Good family fun. :) oh and of course marshmellows and s'mores at night. THANK YOU!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lori S
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

We booked several cabins for a family group stay in May. We had a Couple's Cabin and overall, it was comfortable and worked out fine for our needs. Another couple had the loft cabin and they did not find that comfortable at all. I think only children should be climbing up to go to bed. After a certain age, it's really not safe. The ladder to the loft bed wasn't attached so it could easily fall away from the bed.

It didn't bother us but a couple of people in our group had trouble sleeping because of the early morning crowing of a rooster nearby. We asked about it but the office staff acted like, "What rooster?"

The kitchen in our cabin was small and there's no - and I mean absolutely no - counter space. Fridge is also very small so I'm glad we didn't stay longer than a couple of days. Having a shower in the cabin was nice. The loft cabins don't have showers tho so our friends found that to be terribly inconvenient.

Our cabins were close to the "springs" which is basically a scummy pond. Yes, the story about the springs is interesting but it's still a scummy pond. We didn't encounter mosquitoes during our stay but it's early in the season and it hadn't rained yet. I'm sure the mosquito population explodes around the "springs" after the monsoon season arrives so if you're staying in or near the cabins then, expect to be bitten. .

The location is the biggest draw of this place. We waded into Oak Creek and hiked a couple of the trails near the creek. We sat outside under the shade of the trees and had great meals on one of the cabin decks. Our family agreed that we had a good time overall. The cabins are about the same price as a mid-price hotel room but definitely lacking the amenities of a hotel. I really didn't like paying that much to "rough it".

We did not have any negative encounters with the office staff but we also didn't encounter any problems that needed their attention. We're trying to decide if we want to come back next year but some in the group want to try another campground. So I would recommend this place only if you do your research, look at the pros and cons, read reviews and decide if the cost is worth the stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MollyMick
Surprise, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Since I grew up in MN, my experience with camping has been humidity, mosquitoes and feeling dirty all the time, so when I took my first camping trip in AZ I was pleasantly surprised. Our family camped via tent at a great site (T2) that was right by the creek where my girls could walk down to and swim in. My hubby and I even sat in the creek during the hot days. The main bathrooms were cleaner then some hotel rooms. The rope swing was a huge hit for my girls (7,11). The girls did say that the pool was freezing (still cool at night during June), so they avoided the pool, but absolutely loved swimming in the creek. The only downfall were the fire ants. They come out during the hot months and we were told the campsite we were on do get closed down once they get bad. My puppy did get bit by one on her paw, but she was trying to "attack" them and they turned on her. She was okay, but I would be weary of staying at T2 during June - August; otherwise we are planning on going again and even getting a membership. LOVED IT!!!!

Room Tip: First come, first serve --- try to get by the creek (t1 or T2) if you have a tent.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank marcib16
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed in the Willow Cabin May 30, 2013 and here is the sequence of events that led us to believe that there is an infestation.

1) We checked in, dropped off some luggage, and got some dinner with family.

2) After returning we slept and after awaking the next morning we noticed fresh blood stains, smears, and blotches on the sheets (May 31st).

3) We thought this was odd but did not immediately suspect bed bugs because there was no evidence of bites ... yet. We spot cleaned the sheets and while doing so we noticed faint dark stains of similar size on the sheets. While we cannot confirm the origin of the old set-in stains, they resembled the size of the fresh blood stains. There were so many new blood spots we gave up and left the sheets for the housekeeping dept.

4) The following evening I began noticing raised pink welts that were very itchy. First they appeared on my arms, then legs, torso, face, and hands. They follow tell-tale bed bug bite patterns. They occur in rows of 5 to 10 bites. They also occur near the edges of my pajamas (shorts and tee shirt). A colleague of ours is a college professor and internationally recognized expert on bed bugs. We called and he confirmed this was the work of bed bugs and that the extent of the bites was some of the worst he has encountered and was the work of a major infestation. I counted 254 bites on my body.

5) We stayed at a different location from the evening of May 31st for the remainder of our trip. I contacted Lo Lo Mai June 1st to bring the bed bugs to their attention. I spoke with someone at the front desk and explained the situation, she was skeptical that I was indeed bitten by bed bugs. I was put on hold and then forwarded to the owner. The owner was also skeptical and grew increasingly defensive as I continued to confront her with the problem. The skepticism seemed to be derived from the fact that my wife did not have evidence of bites. However, there were fresh blood stains on her side of the bed too, suggesting that she had also been bitten.

As far as the owner goes, my impression is that she seemed more concerned with her online reviews than with the well-being of her guests. She lost her temper in dealing with what is clearly a delicate situation and hung up on me after I requested a refund.

6) On June 2nd in the morning, the owner called my wife to follow-up and "get the facts." The owner did not ask to talk to me. The conversation did not last long, my wife said she was polite - but did not offer an apology for her poor behavior on the phone, nor did she express any concern whatsoever for the significant discomfort that I am still experiencing. She did say that she was looking into our complaint, they would hire and inspector, and that they were considering a refund.

My message to Lo Lo Mai: Keep the money, you need it more than I do.

7) Here is what we did to disinfect our belongings. Note that this took the better part of a day of our very short vacation. We bagged all of our clothes, dog beds, luggage ... everything. We took everything to the laundromat and placed what we could in industrial dryer. We set them on high heat and dried the articles for 1 hour. A number of items shrunk but it was worth the effort to not bring the bugs home (for which remediation can result in $1000s of damage). The items that we could not dry we placed in black plastic garbage bags and put them in the Arizona sun for an hour. Currently all of our stuff is in the garage and I am considering what to do next.

8) On June 9th bed bug bites are now evident on my wife. She has approximately 50 bites. Now it makes sense why there were fresh blood stains on both sides of the bed. According to the CDC, bed bug bites can take up to 14 days to develop. It has now been a week since bringing this to the attention of the Lo Lo Mai and we have not heard from them as to the status of the pest inspector's findings. For the safety of future travelers, I need to post this review, and should have done so earlier.

I provide this level of detail because of the extremely unprofessional nature of the owners at Lo Lo Mai. I understand that, in some cases, proprietors have no control over a new infestation of bed begs because bed bugs "hitch hike" their way around. In all fairness Lo Lo Mai probably did not know they had a problem. However, this is not the first time Lo Lo Mai has had a bed bug problem.

It's hard to describe my distaste for Lo Lo Mai, not because I was bit 250 times, but because they did not demonstrate that they are taking the allegation seriously. This puts their future guests at risk and possibly contributes to what is an increasing problem of travelers spreading bed bugs from hotel to hotel. The real issue is that they do not pretend to care about the well-being of their guests, and that they are short-tempered hosts.

My searches indicate that they have not reported this incident, suggesting that: 1) their inspector did not find bed bugs, 2) they never called an inspector, or 3) they are ignoring the inspector's findings. I suspect their reply to this review will include some form of denial or accusation that we were bit somewhere else. Recall the blood stains on the sheets the night we stayed at Lo Lo Mai. Or they might suggest that we brought the bed bugs with us. I contest that 250 bites on me and 50 on my wife is not the result of a few hitch hiking bed bugs. Also recall the opinion of our colleague the bed bug expert. His conclusions were that there is a major infestation. Either way, future travelers need to be made aware and I suggest they decide for themselves, based on the evidence in this review, whether or not there were indeed bed bugs at Lo Lo Mai.

I also suggest if you stay at Lo Lo Mai to refuse payment until you can inspect the cabin for bed bugs.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
24 Thank A R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cornville
BEST WESTERN PLUS Arroyo Roble Hotel & Creekside Villas
Sedona Summit Resort
Sedona Summit Resort
#20 of 48 in Sedona
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,634 reviews

Been to Lo Lo Mai Springs? Share your experiences!