“Stay in the Best Western down the street. You will get better service.”

Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 7 Cottonwood B&B and Inns
Phoenix, Arizona
“Stay in the Best Western down the street. You will get better service.”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

It was our 3 year anniversary and the end of August and could not wait to get out of the blazing heat of Phoenix. My husband surprised me with our anniversary trip up north. He drove me to this bed and breakfast. I was intrigued when I first saw the Alpacas in the yard and then the turkeys at the beginning of the driveway up at the house. That was impressive to me as we have backyard chickens so I was curious to see how Turkeys would be. We walked in the house and no one was there to greet us. My husband had made a phone call before we got there to give her an eta when we would be there and then had to make another phone call to her when we did get there and got her voice mail and we had to wait 5-10 minutes for the hostess to finally show up and meet us. That is a long time to wait after a long drive. It seemed that she was unprepared for our arrival when she clearly had time to prepare as my husband had made a reservation and called in advance. I was not impressed with that. She was very informative as she was checking us in and seemed helpful at first. Her husband came out to get something and he looked as if he was annoyed we were there by the look on his face when I tried to smile at him-not a Hi or a Welcome or a smile. Very much a cold shoulder-not very hospitable. At check-in my first red flag was that she had commented that her dog was locked in her "messy kitchen" because he was scratching the door. The kitchen was closed off so I could not see it and this was where she was going to make my breakfast? We decided not to try her breakfasts. We went out to eat for our breakfasts. And she asked that no pets are allowed indoors yet she had her dog in her kitchen. When we went up to the room it was very spacious and seemed nice at first until I went into the bathroom. It was as if she forgot to clean our room from the previous guest's stay. There was a ring around the toilet bowl water line as if it had not been cleaned for a month or it was just a really bad stain and they should really just invest in a new toilet. All of the soap bottles were empty-the hand soap bottles at both sinks and an empty bottle of body wash in the shower-not even a clean new bar of soap still in the package. The towels had a sour smell like they were left in the washer too long-that nasty smell that happens to towels when they are not washed properly. The tissue boxes were empty. The only thing she did have was toilet paper. We had to go to Safeway to buy some soap. The shampoo and conditioner were the big bottles from costco and were half full. My husband had to pre pay with a check because her credit card machine was not working and all the the other hotels in the area were full due to the holiday weekend so there was no way we could leave and go somewhere else. I also learned they gave him a package deal that included tickets to the Verde Canyon Railroad which was the purpose for our trip to Cottonwood so we had to stay. We stayed 3 nights. On our first night I woke up with pet dander all over my pajamas like the she let her dog romp around the room and on the bed. It was as if the bedding was never washed from the previous guest. And then on our first morning there we wanted to check with her to see if she had our tickets to the train or if they were at the will call. I could hear someone in the back bedroom on her side of the house so I knew someone was there. There was no doorbell or anything to buzz or ring for service and we didn't want to be late for the train so I knocked on her wall several times and had to yell 'Hello' several times for someone to finally open a bedroom door and there was a lady that came out with a dirty diaper in her hand. She looked annoyed that I was trying to get someone's attention. I saw our hostess behind her with a toddler and did not say anything like-Can I help you? or anything. I had to ask for her to come out of the bedroom so I could speak with her. That is not service. She advised us our tickets were at the will call desk and she didn't have them.
That is unacceptable to me. All it would have taken was a once over to check the room. I didn't say anything because I didn't feel I should have to. These are basic hospitality standards that are expected when you are running any kind of business like that. It was not like a light bulb went out and needed replaced. I am surprised given the hotels in the area and the competition she is up against. As I a looking at her website the pictures are nothing like it really was. The pool looked dirty and the fountain was off.

Room Tip: I don't recommend staying here
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jerralee H
DesertRoseBnB, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 October 2011
We are very, VERY sorry that so many aspects of your stay fell far short of your expectations. We appreciate all guest feedback and take guest comments very seriously by investigating and correcting issues appropriately. We would nonetheless like to say, that we regret you did not mention anything to us whilst at our B&B which would have enabled us to swiftly correct the issues that you mention or else find you an alternate place to stay. This is part of our commitment to guest satisfaction.

We try to do our best to make all our guests feel at home which is for some people and perhaps not for others. Even though we want to be everything for all people, it is impossible for us to do so. During the time that you came, we were having some staffing problems which have since then been resolved. We have hired two new staff members to help the Innkeeper take care of the Desert Rose and keep the high standards our guests have come to expect and deserve.

If you would like to discuss your issues further with us, I would invite you to either call us at 928-646-0236 OR email us at desertrosebandb@hotmail.com. Again, we appreciate the feedback and hope that in the future, you will give us the privilege of a second chance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This was our first experience with a b & b and we enjoyed our stay thoroughly. We would definitely stay there again. It was very quiet which we liked. You didn't hear people coming and going at all hours of the night like you do in a hotel/motel. The breakfast was good, Our first experience with turkey eggs, very good by the way. The only problem we saw was the pool wasn't ready for swimmers. We weren't there to swim anyway we were there to see the area and go to the wineries. All in all we were very satisfied and we would definitely recommend this b & b.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank LVFlyer
DesertRoseBnB, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
All Bed and Breakfast owners revoice when first time B&B guests are converted! It particularly makes us happy because we were able to show you what a B&B is!

It is exactly as you mention; a quiet, and peaceful oasis like retreat. Glad you enjoyed our turkey eggs which are in season until December!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, can't wait to have you come and stay with us again soon...
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My sister and I couldnt have asked for a better time. It was like being welcomed into an old friends home. It has an excellent family feeling. Breakfast was beautifully done. The attention to detail and mindfulness of healthy nutrition was awesome and appreciated. We enjoyed our time there so much, and the owner, Betty, was amazing. It was the perfect retreat after hiking in Sedona. We have decided to make this our yearly trip, if not sooner!
Thanks again!
Michelle & Monique

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank shellshock8844
It was as much of a pleasure for us to have you stay and we can't wait until you come back. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with others by writing your review.
Mohave Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Don't judge Desert Rose by the surrounding area because it is an island onto it's self. The grounds are beautiful and the room was also. The service is friendly and made us feel like wanted guests. We would recommend Desert Rose B and B

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RandJ1767
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, we are sure other potential travellers will find it very helpful. It was a great pleasure having you stay with us, we really hope to have you come again soon!
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 30 May 2011

My sister lives and works in Cottonwood and I decided to take my two year old daughter up to visit her over Memorial Day Weekend. Pulling a few strings because she works in the wine industry, she was able to book me a room at the Desert Rose B & B for a very reasonable rate. Despite one of the not-so-positive reviews here about the location of the Desert Rose, I was also pleased with its rating on TripAdvisor. After staying at the Desert Rose, I can say the location issue was not a problem for me as I liked the fact that it is tucked back inside a neighborhood you wouldn't expect a B & B to be in. It is not far from the sites, shopping and wineries in the area. The property itself is fenced and gated and well-lit.

Highlights:

-For me, I thought the turkeys (yes, thats right...turkeys!) meandering the property was awesome and charming. The male turkey loves people and just wants to be admired. The llamas have their own pen and you have to walk across a wide expanse of grass to get to them but my two year old loved them. Keep an eye out for Bailey, the six week old puppy....so cute.

-The hand-made rock water feature is also in a shady, relaxing location. It was very nice to drink a glass of wine in a comfy chair and have a zen moment in front of that running water.

-Breakfast is a deluxe continental breakfast. It is not your typical, five-course, heavy breakfast you get at other B & B's. The table is set with lovely china and glasses. You can have coffee, tea, milk, OJ or apple juice and fresh fruit. You can toast bagels, english muffins or really good bread. And you can fix yourself a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. If they are available, Betty does make turkey eggs to order. I am not a big breakfast eater so I liked the lighter fare. (Side note: Water bottles are always available and there is a mini-fridge/microwave in the dining area for guest's to use at any hour of the day).

-The King bed in our attic suite was sooooo comfy. The linens on the bed were lovely with a subtle garden motif and not too feminine. There is a little foyer in front of the door to the room that has a built in bookshelf with a lot of interesting books (mostly fiction). I read a book every night after I put my tot to bed and it was heaven.

-Betty herself is a wonderful and sweet lady. She gave my daughter an Elmo toy because she had a spare in her own children's collection of toys. My tot was elated and dragged the Elmo around everywhere with us the rest of the trip. She also was fun to converse with and suggested a restaurant to us that had a "secret" order that was not on the menu and not advertised.

Traveling with a toddler can be a hair-raising and stressful experience that I have to admit I was dreading. It must have been kismet that I wound up at the Desert Rose B & B because I am happy to report that it was a WONDERFUL trip thanks in no small part to Betty and her family-friendly approach to running her B & B. It is a quiet, interesting, charming, private, and accomodating property that I heartily recommend to anyone visiting the Cottonwood, AZ area.

Room Tip: Ask for the attic room. Quiet, cool and lovelyl
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Shelbystarlight
DesertRoseBnB, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 June 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this very nice and elaborate review. We are extremely thrilled that you enjoyed your stay as guest satisfaction is our top priority. We are particularly happy that you liked our location which we find to be the most central to the Verde Valley/Jerome/Sedona area.

The beds, the beds... All our rooms have King size beds and many (if not most!) guests have commented on how comfortable they all are.

All B&B's are as different as their owners, that is what makes them a fantastic experience!

Come back soon!
Plattsmouth
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Driving through the neighborhood to find this B&B I literally said to my wife, "I'm sorry, but I already paid for the place." The neighborhood is scary for a B&B location. There is a reason the house is fenced and gated.
I wish I had read other reviews about the food. I have stayed in dozens of B&B's and the breakfast at Desert Rose was by far the worst. We get much better meals at 2-3 star hotels. You only get a turkey egg if the turkeys actually produce eggs. I notice that Betty responded to other reviews that they state it is only a continental breakfast. I checked their website again. They only state that on the FAQ page.
You get make your own toast/bagel/english muffin or generic brand oatmeal packets and healthy cereals (Kashi). They should make a separate distinction for B&B's that claim this is a breakfast.
Betty was a very nice host. This review is in no reflection of her, just the location/neighborhood and the lack of a real breakfast.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank EarthTraveler0216
DesertRoseBnB, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 9 April 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

We wish you had mentioned something about your feelings towards our neighborhood and location, had you mentioned this worry upon check in, we would have gladly refunded you as we want to have happy guests and do not want to have anyone stay with us if they do not want to be staying with us.

Our past guests, on the other hand, have felt that our neighborhood was quite safe, quiet and nice, a great representation of North Central Rural Arizona. We fully agree and feel that our location is extremely central and very convenient to the Verde Valley. (Sedona, Jerome, Clarkdale, Camp Verde and Cottonwood)

We are extremely sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us and hope that you will come stay with us again soon.
Silverado, California
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Sebastian was very accommodating to us when we called without advanced notice and managed to work us in. He even bent the rules for us a little bit by allowing us to bring our cats because we were in a tough spot. To do that, our hosts were willing to remove the area carpets and extra fabrics to make it pet-friendly at a moment's notice. Sebastian was really very nice to us and went out of his way to make us feel welcome and give advice on things to do in the area.

The B&B has all the basic amenities, and the property is very nice. The rooms, too, are fairly basic (except for the deluxe one), but very clean and well kept. As has been noted by others, the breakfasts are simple. If you are looking for gourmet breakfasts that you can get at some other B&Bs, this is not the place for you. If you want that, you will also need to pay the price for it. Simple breakfast or not, Sebastian got up at 4 a.m. to get breakfast ready for us when we had to make an early start. That's what I call a good host!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank spendley3
Desertrosebandb, Owner at Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 October 2010
Thank you very much for your review. We do have three quite different rooms that come at different rates and amenities to enable us to please a multitude of different guests from the budget minded to the luxury seeker. (Even though our rates in comparison to our competitors are very reasonable)

Our official pet policy is that we accept well behaved small dogs. We do charge a small extra for that as we need to thoroughly clean all parts of the room upon check out to make sure that guests with pat allergies are not affected in any way shape or form. This was the first time that anyone had inquired about bringing cats, and it all went very well!

When we initially started our B&B 2 years or so ago, we had initially planned to do a full elaborate breakfast, but have since then changed our mind because, even though our breakfast is "simple" it is just fine for most travelers. In some instances, for dietary reason or other, we have been known to make a more elaborate breakfast. And yes, if someone is looking for a more luxurious/expensive B&B where perhaps the breakfast is more elaborate, there are plenty of them to choose from in Sedona, it will cost at least double what we charge to stay there!

I will respectfully disagree that our B&B and rooms are "simple"!

All our rooms have king beds with 400+ count Egyptian Linens, and now all our rooms have flat screen TV's with cable and DVD player! As for the B&B, we do have two spacious living rooms exclusively for guest use and 1.5 acres of outdoor space with many different sitting areas for guests, including some sitting right by our beautiful fountain.

Thanks again for your great review, we hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cottonwood
Pines Motel
#2 of 7 in Cottonwood
The Arizona Lighthouse B&B
The Arizona Lighthouse B&B
#1 of 4 in Clarkdale

Been to Desert Rose Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!