“Not That Bad”
Review of Verde Valley Inn

Verde Valley Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Cottonwood
Reviewed 19 February 2012

It had been a long long time since I stayed at a Motel 6. I had some A Club points to use up and this Motel 6 was conveniently located during a recent road trip through AZ. So, we gave it a try. And I really wasn't disappointed. Now, it was a Motel 6 and does not come with the bells and whistles of the higher priced competition. However, the room was large with two good sized beds. It was clean, the TV an internet worked fine and the shower/bathroom were also fine. Again it was not a luxurious stay, but then again it only cost $60 and in actuality was free for me. I'm happy and would take another look at another Motel 6 in the future.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank highdesertbadger

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Booked a room at this Motel 6 for six nights. Staff member was pleasant and helpful with no complications. The grounds were clean and appeared safe (always maintain situational awareness when traveling). Facility appears a little older but well maintained. Stayed in a slightly larger room on the end of the building. Doors appeared secure. The room was clean; smelled clean. The air conditioner made the room cold quickly. The carpet appeared newer. Well furnished with desk, television cabinet and drawers. King bed was comfortable enough. Refrigerator was cold; small freezer. Microwave worked. Hairdryer noted; I have little hair so no point in trying it out ;-) Bedside tables and drawer. Bathroom was clean. Towels neatly folded with good presentation; basic amenities. WiFi worked but I relied on direct connection for security. Satellite t.v. with remote; all worked. Housekeeping was good all six days. Located near many shopping options and restaurants. Above average for what I expect of Motel 6. Would not hesitate to have family members stay there.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank CEPPaulT
Reviewed 16 November 2010

When I was planning a recent trip up in to the Sedona area, I started scouring the reviews of a nice little town called Cottonwood. It's a nice place to stay if you don't like the nose in the air pomp of Sedona.

After reading all the reviews on TripAdvisor, I liked what I had read about the Motel 6. Filthy Rooms, crappy beds, crappier TVs, disgusting bathtubs. Now that is my kind of Hotel!!

Sadly, when we arrived... Total let down.
The front desk staff was courteous and I got checked in quickly. I was disappointed, but we headed to the room with high hopes. Upon opening the door we were met with a sharp chemical tang of some cleaning agent. Things were looking up! But then, I was greeted with the following extremely disappointing items. The carpet looked relatively new, and was nice under foot. The bedding looked clean and the beds were comfortable. The TV looked a little old, but the picture quality was unfortunately sharp, and the room had DirectTV!! What kind of skeezy Motel 6 is this!

I was ever hopeful as I moved towards the bathroom, but once again... Disappointment.
The tile floor looked shiny and clean, all of the various towels were in order. The bathtub was clean, and the shower was functional. Even the toilet bowl, my last great hope you could say, was clean and lacking in odor.

I can't believe we didn't get what we wanted with this Hotel. The reviews on this site all pointed in the perfect direction! What a total and utter lack of unclassiness.

To top it off the hotel is right next to a McDonald's, like right next to as in backs up to the drive through lane. There is a grocery store a quick traffic dodge across the highway for all of your cheep boozey needs. And the Crown Jewel of the area, Player's Sports Bar is in the same plaza across the highway. Now that bar did not disappoint. Weird local bar scene, big enough to weird you out, but small enough you didn't worry about winding up on First 48. I think it saved the vacation.

All that said, this place didn't meet my expectations. If you read the reviews here you expect one of the worst motels in Cottonwood. If not the entire Sedona Verde Valley Area! This was not the case, and I will be seeking lodging elsewhere on my next trip.

Oh, one more bright spot. The Wireless Internet didn't work for me after multiple attempts. That was nice.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank CreepStar27
Reviewed 16 October 2008

$266.00 for a Spa Resort or one night at a Budget Inn

25th Anniversary nightmare!!!!

In October of 2008, we visited Arizona for our 25th wedding anniversary. Of course with todays economy, we needed to Budget our travel. To receive the best rates, I reserved my hotel stays through Hotels.com. With the understanding that there would be no refund or cancellation. I selected this hotel for several reasons, cost, location and smoking policy. When we arived at room, I discovered three men standing outside my door smoking! This was were the ash tray was located. Once entering the room, we noticed a very strong odor, which I assumed was some type of cleaning solution. We left the door open for close to an hour with the air turned on high. I felt sure that would clear the room of the odor. We left to have dinner and returned 2 hours later. The smell was still there and just as strong. By 10:00pm the smell had so over powered me, I had to send my husband out to purchase Benadryl. My swelled and watered, my sinus completely stoped up and I had this horrendous taste in my mouth. The next morning, I went to the front desk and explained to a very understand gentleman by the name of Jason, the situation. He was pleasant and understanding and explained that I would have to contact Hotels.com for a refund. Now again I understood the refund policy, but thought that something could be resolved for perhaps a location change. Unfortunatly, that was not an offer. After Hotels.com, contacted Budget Inn, sweet , understanding Jason, informed them that the room had been smoked in, NO REFUND! OK, remember, I stated that the "ash tray" was right outside my door! NOW, this only gets better. After returning home, I discover, that Budget Inn has also charged me $100.00 for cleaning a room that was "SMOKED" in.

This situation as tought me that no matter how honest you are, your word is not good enough. Shame on Budget Inn for lying and shame on Hotels.com for believing them!

You know it's funny that I spent 8 nights in Arizona at verious other hotels and was never accused of any thing or charged for extra cleaning.

I'm sure that this review will never be posted! Since the notes state that it can not contain the following, Personal insults or hearsay.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank krb6573
A TripAdvisor Member
Durham, NC
Reviewed 8 June 2006

This place takes the cake for nasty hotels. Absolutely filthy. A disgrace. Broken springs in the bed, shower that won't drain at all, no remote control, a refridgerator that doubles as a T.V. stand for the poor little 1968 model T.V., cigarette burns all over the night stand and refridgerator, shower that suddenly gets scalding hot leaving you with 3rd degree burns, oh, and that's not all. The pathetic lamp automatically turns itself on all night, and the smoke alarm doesn't even work. The towels were all stained, so bad I wouldn't even dry off on them. I had to go to the local convenience store to buy bleach to clean the brown mildew slime out of the shower, then spent all night trying to air the place out. Also had to put the chairs and table against the door to keep anyone from breaking in, because the thin, card-board like door can be pushed right in. Unbelievable! This is an EPA hazard!! Stay at your own risk!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 May 2006

A horrible little motel. Stayed here due to friend in hospital in town. Stayed because was promised by phone that it had internet access in rooms. BUT there was no access after all and the front desk admitted that it is often not avail. The room was a digusting small room. No suite here. A little frig and microwave. Recently painted, carpet was clean. No amenities ie no shampoo, lotion, etc. Did have coffee packets.
Barely room to move around. Very beat-up otherwise. No wallplates around electrical outlets, dirty desk chair. "Breakfast" was donut and coffee for those that eat that.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank darlwill
Reviewed 11 July 2005

My sister and I stayed here one night after going on the railroad tour (which was wonderful, we recommend). The room was clean, well decorated and had micro and refridgerator. Continential breakfast was meger but adequate. However, the beds leave something to be desired. I slept fine, but did notice that it wasn't the greatest bed. My sister however had a horrible night sleep and a back ache that has lasted for days and she blames the bed. If staying here beware of this potential problem.

• Stayed: July 2005