“Foodie destination in Cottonwood”
Review of Schoolhouse Restaurant - CLOSED

Schoolhouse Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cottonwood Schoolhouse is closed while we are transitioning to a new building in old town Cottonwood. We are currently serving all of our incredible guests from our Village of Oak Creek Location.
Reviewed 1 September 2014

This restaurant so far exceeded my expectations I barely know where to begin. Thanks to another reviewer's hot tip we reserved a seat at the chef's bar. Watching the chef/owner, Chris, in action you quickly realize he's a pro. Chris has had a long career in the restaurant business and puts his experience and passion into each dish.

We ordered the Pork Belly & Dates for an appetizer. It was unbelievable! Such an interesting combination of flavors. For our entree we ordered the Demi Braised Pork Osso Bucco and the Harris Grass Fed Beef Tenderloin. The steak is excellent but the Osso Bucco is out of this world. It is served on a bed of black garlic macaroni & cheese. Need I say more? We had the cobbler for dessert which is amazing.

I can't wait to go back!

2  Thank Djuna W
C D, Owner at Schoolhouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

I had a feeling I would be seeing a review from your group. Thank you both so much for the review and the great company at the chefs bar. We look forward to seeing you again soon on the new patio.
Kind regards, Chris

There are newer reviews for Schoolhouse Restaurant

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We had a wonderful dinner. We had one order of Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Blue Corn Waffles (famous dish) and Chili Rellenos. Both dishes were outstanding. It was difficult to choose because the menu is so interesting. The staff was very helpful in helping us to choose. We would return in a minute if we lived closer.

1  Thank KarensBG

Thank you for the review! I am very happy to hear that the ladies in front are so encouraging and confident in their recommendations. We always appreciate our guests and their experience's.
Kind regard's, Chris

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Both steak dishes were mouth watering! And the peach cobbler with the praline whip was 2nd only to my Nonnie's. A great treat in downtown Cottonwood..

Thank you for the review and I am totally good with losing to a Nonnie. I really appreciate the time it take to review and I am so happy we could provide great grass fed steaks to your family.
Best regards, Chris

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Being local to the area we often dine at Schoolhouse and it never disappoints. So it made sense to bring our visiting friends here. Made reservations a week ahead so we could have the chef's bar. If you haven't done that, you should. You get to interact with the chef(s) and often get a little treat or two as well. It's a lot of fun and the personalities make it a pleasure.

Two of us had scallops, one had shrimp and one had steak. All were very happy and satisfied! Cocktails were also excellent and dessert was also very nice. Chef/Owner Christopher was out of town and chef David did a superb job filling in and was very accommodating to a few special requests. These guys rock!

And you always get a follow-up phone call asking how the experience was. Nice touch. They get an A+.

We will return again soon!

1  Thank TaylorAZ64

Thank you for the review! I am so happy to hear that David did an amazing job for your group. I always appreciate the loyalty by our guests and we look forward to serving many more time in the future.
Best regards, Chris

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Celebrated our first wedding anniversary on Aug 22 and went to Schoolhouse Restaurant based on recommendations from people at my workplace. Was debating on whether to rate a 4 or 5, but decided on 5. The reasons for the debate are as follows: Rating of 5 because the taste of the food and the service were exceptional. We had the shrimp cocktail appetizer (4 large shrimp in a beautiful presentation). They tasted wonderful. My wife ordered the Scallops and absolutely loved them. Perfectly cooked with just the right texture. I had the Arctic Char over organic rice and was equally satisfied. Gorgeous presentation and fantastic taste. Kudos to the Chef! Dessert was a very tasteful chocolate cake with whipped cream (large enough for two to share) that was the perfect finish to the meal. The service throughout was also exceptional and made for a perfect anniversary dinner. The reason I debated on giving a 4 rating was due only to the handling of our anniversary. I called ahead and made reservations, explaining to the hostess that it was our first anniversary and that I picked Schoolhouse because others had said we would be treated like "family" as the owners/staff are very cordial and make sure every person, especially those that are celebrating a special occasion, are welcomed. I was told a "special" table was awaiting us if we could arrive when they first opened at 5PM. We were the first guests to arrive and were sat at a table for four that was directly across from the restroom. This made for constant traffic throughout our meal with patrons going in and out of the restroom. I wonder where we would have been placed if it wasn't a special occasion? As stated earlier, the food and the service were excellent, but it wasn't until we paid the bill at the end that the waitress said "Thank You - Happy Anniversary". It would have been nice for the occasion to be acknowledged at the beginning rather than when we were walking out the door. Overall, I would recommend this restaurant for those that want elegant food (smaller portions but great taste), but if going for a special occasion, don't expect any special welcome or seating.

Thank you so very much for the review and please let me take a moment to apologize for the confusion with reservation. We always strive to make sure every experience is beyond expectations and even more so for special occasion. Please email me at chris@Vvschoolhouse.com so we can find away to make your next experience even more memorable.
Kind regard's, Chris