“One Night Stay in Wine Suite”
Review of Cottonwood Hotel

Cottonwood Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Cottonwood B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona
“One Night Stay in Wine Suite”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed one night in the Wine Suite. The suite is well appointed, with a kitchenette, small refrigerator, queen-size bed, and very small bathroom with a shower. It is on the second floor in about the middle of the hotel, so it is a very quiet room. Karen checked us in, showed us the room, and spend some time suggesting nearby restaurants. Cottonwood Hotel is in the center of a business district that includes several restaurants, wine-tasting rooms, and antique shops. It is about 3 miles from the Verde Canyon Railway, which is why we were in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Cottonwood_Hotel_930, Owner at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive thoughts about our smallest suite, our "Wine Room" and choosing the historic Cottonwood Hotel for your stay. We greatly appreciate your supporting our small business and historic hotel preservation project.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This was the best motel/hotel stay of our whole trip. It is not a modern hotel, but a clean and authentic hotel with a real history were famous people stayed (John Wayne and Mae West). Karen, the owner, is the perfect host. Her stories of old Cottonwood were exciting. I appreciated hearing about the old Al Capone days, the time they had the airplanes races at the old Cottonwood airport with Amelia Earhart, and the stories of Elvis Presley’s visit.
Karen is an inspiration. You will get a real history lesson from a warm and loving person. I would go out of my way to stay here.

Room Tip: If you can get it, ask for the John Wayne or Mae West room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Cottonwood_Hotel_930, Owner at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Thanks Larry for a great review! I am always delighted when guests spark an interest in Cottonwood's cultural heritage tourism! Looking forward to your next visit to share more stories! :)
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I have stayed at the Cottonwood Hotel several times - the innkeeper now knows me by name. I have stayed in three different rooms there and each was perfect for my needs. This is a historic hotel and each room is unique. Several times I've stayed here while traveling solo, and once with a friend. Each time I had a great stay. The innkeeper provides environmentally-friendly products in the showers & sinks, the beds are very comfortable, and the small kitchen was great to have. This is located right in the heart of Old Town, on Main Street, so there are lots of great shops and restaurants within walking distance, including two wine-tasting rooms. The only complaint I had here was the heater was very loud in one of the downstairs rooms I stayed in - it made a repeated banging noise that woke me up every time it was running. I also wish there was a more generous cancellation policy, although I've never had to cancel. Otherwise, I love staying here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank VelvetDevil
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The Cottonwood Hotel has history and pizazz. Karen, the owner, did a lovely job remodeling the rooms. I especially loved all the personal touches and wonderful bath products she provides. Karen is warm and friendly and wants her guests to be comfortable and safe. It's fun to be in Old Town Cottonwood too. Some great eateries!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Kaulana6
Cottonwood_Hotel_930, Owner at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Woman traveling alone have always felt safe and frequently return to the historic Cottonwood Hotel. Not only the small upper floor hotel being secured with a locked entrance door, you can also safely walk to a choice of several popular restaurants for breakfast and dining or places for an evening cocktail in a small safe downtown revived Main Street.
Woodstock, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2011

after travelling for months it was great to have a space I could prepare my own food and a living area away from the bedroom. Karen is a delight and extremely caring and helpful and the perfect host in all ways!! definitely recommend this hotel!!

Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank traveller48915
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I was very happy, because I could meet with my parents in such a lovely hotel! The great service made our trip enjoyable and relaxing. I really liked the room because of the nice bed, kitchen and organic bath. The excellent service from the owner and wonderful weather and historical sites refreshed me and gave me a lot of energy. I am looking forward to staying at Cottonwood Hotel again. Thank you very much!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mu2ko
Cottonwood_Hotel_930, Owner at Cottonwood Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Thanks again for your great review of our little hotel and your interest in historic places to stay. I look forward to your next visit and taking you on that vortex tour!
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I stayed here before and loved it. Our hostess (owner Karen Leff) showed us to our suite and explained where everything was and how it worked including the things particular to an older building. Karen also told us about the TV/VCR which I wasn't interested in until she recommended watching some AZ made movies and gave us a short history lesson. She was also helpful in recommending places to eat and drink and activities to check out. The beds are incredibly comfortable.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple