“Old style glamour”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Douglas
London
“Old style glamour”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed at the Gadsden on a quiet Sundays night and we fell in love with it. If you want flatscreen tvs and coffee makers, go to the Holiday Inn, but the Gadsden is charming with real 1940s faded glamour. Unlike chain hotels it has heart. The reception clerk was very helpful and the restaurant amazingly good value, as well as serving a fabulous ribeye steak.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jane M
Shirley R, General Manager at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Jane M,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Gadsden Hotel and expressed that we are a hotel" with heart." I agree with you!

I also appreciate the kind comments about our helpful guest service agent at the front desk area and also that you enjoyed a great rib eye steak at the El Conquistador Restaurant. That's wonderful to hear and I will share your kind words with our staff.

We just finished a complete renovation of our first 23 rooms on the mezzanine level and they are absolutely gorgeous. They still retain the charm and elegance of this grand hotel but also provide guests with the comfort, modernity and conveniences that guests expect.

Jane M, I personally invite you to please come and visit us again and experience all of the many improvements we are making.

Thank you again for your kind words and hope to welcome you back soon!

In Hospitality,
Tom Rollins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
usa
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Right off, I had trouble. Wrong room, wrong price, desk clerk's first night, etc. However, they made it right so fast that I had to marvel at their good faith efforts to do the right thing. I stayed in one of the Jacuzzi tub rooms on the forth floor and, having seen the other rooms, would recommend only the jacuzzi tub rooms. Nice, clean, quiet, warm (I was there in late December) and comfy. The diner/restaurant is low priced but good food. It's not gourmet, but it is good and it is cheap. What I loved about the whole place was that, in spite of the fact that they are clearly not highly trained professional hotel employees, they are kind and honest and helpful and really down to earth. Even the remodeled rooms/suites are old and a little beaten, but I had a fine experience there. It is so close to the boarder that I walked from the Gadsden across the boarder to hang out in Agua Prieta. I will definitely go back, in spite of its many imperfections.

Room Tip: choose the jacuzzi suites.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank euro13
Dear Euro13,

First of all allow me to sincerely apologize for your our initial misfires when you checked in. I am very pleased that the staff was able to rectify the issues quickly and "with good faith efforts" as you so nicely stated.

I am also delighted to know that you found your suite, nice, clean, quiet and warm. That's wonderful! We are excited to report that we have completed the 100% renovation of our first 23 rooms on the mezzanine level. The rooms are just beautiful and we would love to invite you back and enjoy the comfort and experience our hospitality once again, and check out the brand new rooms!

The new rooms retain the lovely elegance of the hotel itself while still providing the modern look, feel and conveniences that guests expect these days.

We took over the operation of the hotel in July and have had a wonderful time working with the employees to train and instill a hospitality heart into each staff member.

Thank you so very much for recognizing that our staff is kind, friendly, down to earth and helpful. I will make sure and share your kind words with our amazing crew. It is very uplifting to us all.

Please come back and see us the next time you are in Douglas. We would love to welcome you back!

Kindest Regards,

Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

I can understand historic hotels not having AC. The desert climate of Arizona warrants cools nights, so an open window of fresh air will work. However, there are a lot of bugs out there, and putting a screen on the window is only appropriate, and not an expensive thing to do. I had thought they renovated 30 rooms, and were not using the rest. I guess that's not true, my room wasn't renovated. I would have been happy had it had a screen.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Jeffrey S
Shirley R, General Manager at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Hello Jeffrey S,

First of all thank you very much for your honest review. I really do take all comments seriously as that is the only way we can improve.

Our new management company assumed operation of the hotel in mid July and we are currently renovating the first 23 rooms on the mezzanine level. We are not done yet. Because there is still demand for hotel rooms, until, the new rooms are done, we are still renting un-renovated rooms at a very discounted price.

I agree with you that the rooms should all have screens and we will make that happen. We also hope to add new AC units to all rooms so this will not be an issue going forward, but adding screens is also a wonderful idea. When the sun goes down, it cools off so being able to open your window and get a cool breeze but keep out the bugs is something we need to do.

Jeffrey, I really appreciate your valuable input and your great idea! Please come back and see us and experience the Gadsden as we continually make improvements and strive to make our rooms comfortable and pleasant for all of our amazing guests.

Hope to welcome you back soon!

Hospitably Yours,
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Cool lobby, great location for downtown and convenient to the Fairgrounds in Douglas. On the upside, a very accommodating staff as we asked for a late check out due to an event. We were part of the Cochise Classic cycling race and carried our bicycles up and down the stairs several times and no one minded. The room and bathroom were very tired and in desperate need of a remodel. Enjoyed it anyway.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms on the first floor with the nice old doors but you could hear the noise from th...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank kathleen k
Dear Kathleen K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We always love hearing what our guests are saying.

So very glad that you found our hotel conveniently located to the Fairgrounds and that our staff was accommodating of your special request for a late check out. We absolutely love having cyclists stay with us! I only hope that it was not too much trouble carrying your bicycles up and down the stairs. Next time you come in to town for a cycling event, please let us know and we will make sure to get you up and down in the elevator. Save your energy for the riding!

Glad to hear that you liked our lobby. It is pretty spectacular, I have to say. Hope you had a chance to stop in at our Tavern and Dining Room during your stay. The food is very good and so are the drink specials.

The hotel is completely renovating the first 23 rooms on the mezzanine level so the next time, you will be able to stay in a wonderful new room with new bathroom. We are keeping the historic fixtures and tiles but resurfacing them and reconditioning them for a better guest experience. Keeping the historic charm but making it modern and clean.

Kathleen, please come back and see us soon. We love to welcome our friends from Tucson anytime.

Happy and Safe Cycling to You!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Friendly staff, and very stately lobby. Room was clean, comfortable, and hotel maintains much of its originality. Felt like a step back about 100 years. I quite enjoyed it. A couple of things, though; 1. The internet connection was also a step back about 100 years. 2. If you are accustomed to a modern building, you might find the room slightly small. The restaurant was decent. Oh, and if you are staying in the hot part of the year, get an air-conditioned room!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Joel V
Hello Joel V,

I surely do appreciate your recent review of the Gadsden Hotel. I was so very pleased to learn that you found our staff friendly and accommodating. We do have a great group working with us and I will be sure to share your kind comments with the crew.

The Gadsden lobby is indeed very stately and we are so pleased that you found our rooms clean and comfortable. We are in the midst of a hotel renovation so our guests may enjoy modern conveniences while still being able to take a step back in time in our wonderful, historic hotel.

We are definitely working on upgrading the high speed internet connection. I do apologize to you for the inconvenience you experienced. I know it was frustrating. Today's traveler expects to be able to stay in touch with friends, family and work easily, so we are doing our best to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

On behalf of the entire crew, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back again to see our wonderful new changes. Please let me know if I may personally assist you.

Warm Regards,
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The Gadsden was a fantastic place. I'd stay there again if I visited Douglas, Arizona. It felt like I was truly in a different time in history. I can always stay in a modern hotel but the Gadsden is one of the few places left in the US where I can actually be a "living part" of the opulent 1920's.

But also take that feeling to a literal sense. Things have changed since the Gadsden was build in the very early 20th Century. And what is charming about the Gadsden is also not what we have come to expect in modern travel accommodations. Poor air conditioning, very small bathrooms, keyed door locks and everything very old including the TV set.

So set your expectations "low" and your interest in being part of the past "high" and you will totally enjoy your stay at the Gadsden.

PS The check-in desk, lobby, bar and restaurant is worth the stay. And they have great parking. It is safe and a large area.

Room Tip: Check to see if the window air conditioner is working.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank zolman
Dear Zolman of Mt. Vernon, Indiana:

First of all thank you for saying that the Gadsden Hotel is a fantastic place. I could not agree with you more. This hotel is really one of the last Grande Dames of the West and we are committed to restoring the hotel, keeping the old and graceful charm while providing some modern amenities to our guests.

We are now renovating the first 23 rooms on the Mezzanine level and providing flat screen TV's, new bedding, furniture, work area and all new soft goods. The bathroom will be redone but we will keep the original black & white checked subway tile and original fixtures and original tubs, fully restored but kept to maintain the history & charm.

Zolman, I invite you to please come back and pay us another visit. You will be happily surprised at what we have accomplished at the Gadsden. We want our guest to have very "high" expectations just as they did when Eleanor Roosevelt was a guest of ours. The hotel was the "toast' of the West and we intend to restore her to her original vibrancy.

Many thanks for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you back soon!

Hospitably Yours,

phoenix
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The Gadsden is supposedly one of the last Grand mining hotels, but it has last most of its luster. A good portion of the hotel is in disrepair. The staff were very nice, and the stay was affordable, but since there is nothing to do in Douglas, this should be the focal point of their tourism. Instead we slept in Douglas and spent our days in Bisbee. Such a beautiful hotel that is slowly dying. 160 rooms and there couldn't have been more than 20 rooms filled.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room with AC
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank elaine c
Dear Elaine C,

Thank you so much for your comments about your stay. Peak Hospitality,a hotel management company based in Albuquerque, NM, assumed the daily operation of the hotel in mid July.

I do agree with you that this amazing, historic hotel had "lost its luster", as you said in your review. We are in the process of restoring this hotel to its star status.

We have cleaned, painted, most of the hotel and are currently completing a 100% renovation of the first 23 rooms on the Mezzanine level. Subsequent room renovations will take place in various phases until all rooms have been redone.

We have also placed the staff in uniforms and instituted policies and procedures that will always keep our guests satisfaction our most important mission.

We have already remodeled the Saddle & Spur Tavern and are working on the El Conquistador Dining Room and all public spaces as well. The menu has been revamped to include local favorites as well as many fresh and exciting menu options.

I invite you to please come back and see us once we are renovated and enjoy this amazing hotel with its shine and grace fully restored.

Kind Regards,

Gadsden General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
Copper Queen Hotel
Motel 6 Douglas
Motel 6 Douglas
#5 of 5 in Douglas
The Gardens At Mile High Ranch

Been to Gadsden Hotel? Share your experiences!