“Nostalgic Hotel and Will Return”
Review of Gadsden Hotel

Gadsden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Douglas
California
“Nostalgic Hotel and Will Return”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Don't know why I like this place so much. Yes, it's a bit run down with some remodeling in progress. If you look closely, there is much work to be done. BUT, it just has a feel that really appeals to me. This is our second stay and we stayed in one of the remodeled rooms on the Mezzanine level. Room was nice and up to date. Nothing fancy but nice. Very clean. Bath is a bit small but that's because it's an older hotel. Of course the lobby is the highlight of the hotel with all the marble and stained glass. We had drinks in the bar and dinner at the hotel restaurant and enjoyed both. Front desk staff very nice and helpful. Only comment I would make would be that there was some noise from the lobby late at night from bar goers and early in the morning from staff. As the mezzanine is open to the lobby, it echos up to the room. A recommendation would be for hotel staff to keep lobby noise down at late hours; from guests and staff. Plenty of covered parking at the rear of the hotel. We look forward to our return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ok3
Shirley R, General Manager at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Ok3,

Thank you so much for your kind review of your recent stay. I am very pleased that you liked our new rooms and were able to enjoy our Dining Room and Lounge as well.

Thank you so much for your nice comments about the staff. We do have a great group of folks working here and I know they will like hearing your feedback.

While the hotel has undergone some wonderful new changes, it is still a work in progress and we look forward to making many new updates in the months to come so stay tuned!

Thank you for staying with us and for your constructive advise to keep noise level down in lobby at the start of the day. I agree with you and thank you for letting me know just how much the sound is traveling to the guest rooms.

Please came back and see us soon. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Tom Rollins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Wow, when you walk in it's what you say.
Though many obvious changes are taking place, the impact was little to none. I Really enjoyed the great stories I heard of historic happenings and ghostly encounters.

I stayed in one of their newly remodeled king bed rooms. Super cozy beds, and the room was a nice clean modern design. Which was suprising, since the hotel is like over a hundred years old.

Great staff and even had a chance to check out the infamous room 333.

I liked that there was an on-site restaurant and tavern too. Looking forward coming back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Shirley R, General Manager at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Brian M,

Thank you so very much for your lovely comments about your recent stay with us. We are very proud of our new guest rooms and so glad you enjoyed the comfy bed and modern look of our rooms. Also, so glad you were able to enjoy our restaurant and lounge.

You're right, it's so fun to hear about the history of the hotel, Douglas and about Cochise County. We hope to have an entire section of the hotel soon which will devoted to the wonderful history, movies and events that took place at the Gadsden. Did you know that Eleanor Roosevelt spent the night? Or that the writer Thornton Wilder lived at the hotel for several months in the 60's?

Thanks for the compliment on the great staff We are very proud of our crew. Please come back and see us again soon, Brian!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is our second trip to the Gadsden. Our first trip was around 2010. This trip we took for Valentine's weekend. Our main agenda was to spend our days in Bisbee. We chose the Gadsden because our pleasant first stay. We stayed in a Jacuzzi room the first time. We stayed in room 108 this trip as the gentleman that booked us suggested it being a newly renovated room. When we first saw the room we were satisfied. The room was freshly painted and seemed to be decorated in a deco period type style furnishings.This is my postiive take on the room. We also liked the artwork of the copies of postcards from 1914 as well as blueprints of the hotel framed. Those are great. My negative with this room itself was not having an outlet in bathroom. I can make-do most things but I do need to be able to do my hair some way. If there is not a way to put outlet in a bathroom there needs to be a mirror with a table so a female can plug in and style hair. At very least, a mirror within length of an outlet. I hate to be a negative critic but I really hope the owners take these things into consideration as we love old hotels and hate to see them fail and go away. . Second and probably the biggest issue with the room was the lack of hot water both days/nights. We reported this both days to front desk and both times we were told would fix it. We were even told that it was fixed and to keep waiting for the hot water-it will be there. It never was. Sad face. The reason I would not go back honestly was the lack of attention or even care for our inconvenience. We were not offered anything. At the checkout we were just rung up and for full price of the room without even more than a quick"sorry or that" Is that hospitality? I understand an old hotel,but don't make me feel my fault having problems and charge me full price for it. Bad manners in my opinion. There was 1 beautiful person I do want to address. She only gave us the name to call her as "Zero" but she took us on a lovely tour and stories of the history on Feb 15th about 1 am. She is just lovely and with a real smile.She was a "TEN" in my book so should not sell herself short by the name "Zero" We were having a hard time sleeping because of the loudness of the bar which reminds me was another issue. Too loud. Shots were being given round after 2 am? Shots meaning shots of alcohol and also shouting.What time is last call in Douglas? Loud singing and front desk did apologize but did nothing to tone it down. We were even told they had to move other people to alternative rooms because some had complained of the noise. All in all some positive but we left mostly thinking of the negative. I never mind paying for something but want to feel like I did not walk away without a shower and tired from lack of sleep from what was supposed to be a get-away. Come on Gadsden. I know you can do better. Is this new management?Sorry but this is my review of things.

Room Tip: If you do decide to travel to the Gadsden only consider one of the newly renovated rooms. We toured...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Christina A,

I would like to thank you so very much for your candid review of your last stay at the Gadsden. I appreciate your honesty and definitely do take your comments to heart. Knowing where we have dropped the ball, helps us correct our course as we move forward.

I sincerely apologize for the problems you experienced from the lack of an outlet in the bathroom, to the lack of hot water, to the noise levels in the lounge and the lack of a "making things right" attitude from the front desk. Please know that these issues have been addressed and corrected.

I appreciate your kind comments about the young lady who gave you a tour. I believe the young lady was Julie. I will share your kind comments with her and I know she will be delighted to know she made a positive impression on you. Also, thank you for your nod to our new rooms.

It is always our desire to provide an amazing experience to all of our guests. I am terribly sorry that we fell short on this visit. We would love to have you back again. Please contact me at your convenience so we can make things right with you.

Tom Rollins

Travellers are raving about these Douglas hotels

Northridge, CA
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Traveled to Douglas, Arizona, with the wife just to see the Tiffany Glass in this hotel. I can not report on the food, lodgings or service at the hotel as I didn't partake in any of them. They were in the process of renovating the hotel. Perhaps the next time I go to Douglas, I will stay here.
But, If I don't I will be going back to the Tiffany Glass! Definitely worth seeing!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bcreff
Shirley R, General Manager at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear creff,

I am so happy that you and your wife stopped in to see the lobby with our magnificent Tiffany windows. They are so spectacular! We just love having visitors come in to look at and enjoy the splendor of the lobby.

The next time you are in town, please think about staying with us. We have some beautiful new rooms, a great restaurant and lounge and we would be delighted to host you.

Making improvements to this wonderful historic hotel has been a joy and we are so excited to show our handy work and take the time to show visitors around this grand hotel, whether they are guests or not.

We look forward to welcoming you back. Please let me know if I may be of personal assistance to you in any way.

Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed here the night of 1-21-14, during what was otherwise a short camping trip. I wanted a room from which I could leave early in order to be at Whitewater Draw for the sandhill cranes at the crack of dawn. Given this goal, I chose to experience the historical delights of the Gadsden in nearby Douglas.
Summarizing my stay: I arrived somewhat before check-in time, had no difficulties getting in then. I received a room on the third floor, reached (with luggage on a rolling cart) via antique, operator-controlled elevator. One must ring for service to use the elevator; so no self-operation. My room, with queen bed, was serviceable, provided what I required. I ate dinner in the in-house restaurant, the Conquistador, where (being very hungry) I enjoyed the special of double green chile cheeseburger with seasoned fries. I went to bed early, checked out round about 4:30, attended by the night clerk, and was on my way to the cranes.
I'm not surprised that the rankings for this place are all over the map. It's got big pluses, big minuses, and which are emphasized determine the final result. I'm glad I stayed at the Gadsden. I marveled at the old-fashioned splendor of the lobby, truly a magnificent sight, and all the elements that hark back to an earlier time. They don't make them like the Gadsden any more. All service was pleasant and efficient. The food was entirely satisfying; next time I'm down that way I'd like to eat there again, try something else from their full menu.
On the other hand, it's an old place, and boy does it show. A lower floor is gutted for renovation, with many workmen busy with machinery. To be sure, the noise did not carry to my room. Ah, that room: adequate, satisfactory with notable weaknesses. I took a hot bath-- no harm-- because the shower only dispensed cold water. The sink didn't put out cold, so I brushed my teeth with hot water. I spotted a tiny cockroach in the bathroom. There are some spots on the walls, and an unsealed gap around the air conditioner in the window. Fortunately nothing flew in to pester me. The bed sagged a bit, although I slept like a log in it, without back discomfort. I didn't try the wireless Internet, so can't testify to its utility.
Two nights later, feeling the untimely onset of flu, I cut short my camping and spent the night in the Motel 6 in Sierra Vista. That was a superior room in many respects... but I much more enjoyed my night at the Hotel Gadsden. I'll keep it in mind when circumstances are similar. The ongoing renovations are bound to make a big difference. I hope the price (very reasonable) doesn't shoot up!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Vorchek,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of your recent stay. I am so glad that overall you had a good stay with us and that you found the service pleasant and efficient. That is very important to us to deliver that type of service.

I am glad that you enjoyed our double green chile cheeseburgers. They are very tasty to be sure! Yes, please do come back and try one of our many other delectable menu selections and I trust you will find them prepared nicely as well.

I apologize for the problems you encountered with your room. As you noted, we are in the process of redoing the rooms so we can provide our visitors an updated and modern room while retaining the hotels' original charm.

I agree that they 'don't make them like they used to." The Gadsden is unique and charming and well worth a visit. Renovating this wonderful old hotel has really been a labor of love for all of us involved. We look forward to continually upgrading and making improvements on this grand hotel. I promise- she will only get better.

Please come back and see us the next time you are in Douglas. We would love to welcome you back and show you first hand our upgrades.

Again, thank you for your candid and thoughtful review.

London
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed at the Gadsden on a quiet Sundays night and we fell in love with it. If you want flatscreen tvs and coffee makers, go to the Holiday Inn, but the Gadsden is charming with real 1940s faded glamour. Unlike chain hotels it has heart. The reception clerk was very helpful and the restaurant amazingly good value, as well as serving a fabulous ribeye steak.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jane M
Shirley R, General Manager at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Jane M,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Gadsden Hotel and expressed that we are a hotel" with heart." I agree with you!

I also appreciate the kind comments about our helpful guest service agent at the front desk area and also that you enjoyed a great rib eye steak at the El Conquistador Restaurant. That's wonderful to hear and I will share your kind words with our staff.

We just finished a complete renovation of our first 23 rooms on the mezzanine level and they are absolutely gorgeous. They still retain the charm and elegance of this grand hotel but also provide guests with the comfort, modernity and conveniences that guests expect.

Jane M, I personally invite you to please come and visit us again and experience all of the many improvements we are making.

Thank you again for your kind words and hope to welcome you back soon!

In Hospitality,
usa
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Right off, I had trouble. Wrong room, wrong price, desk clerk's first night, etc. However, they made it right so fast that I had to marvel at their good faith efforts to do the right thing. I stayed in one of the Jacuzzi tub rooms on the forth floor and, having seen the other rooms, would recommend only the jacuzzi tub rooms. Nice, clean, quiet, warm (I was there in late December) and comfy. The diner/restaurant is low priced but good food. It's not gourmet, but it is good and it is cheap. What I loved about the whole place was that, in spite of the fact that they are clearly not highly trained professional hotel employees, they are kind and honest and helpful and really down to earth. Even the remodeled rooms/suites are old and a little beaten, but I had a fine experience there. It is so close to the boarder that I walked from the Gadsden across the boarder to hang out in Agua Prieta. I will definitely go back, in spite of its many imperfections.

Room Tip: choose the jacuzzi suites.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank euro13
Dear Euro13,

First of all allow me to sincerely apologize for your our initial misfires when you checked in. I am very pleased that the staff was able to rectify the issues quickly and "with good faith efforts" as you so nicely stated.

I am also delighted to know that you found your suite, nice, clean, quiet and warm. That's wonderful! We are excited to report that we have completed the 100% renovation of our first 23 rooms on the mezzanine level. The rooms are just beautiful and we would love to invite you back and enjoy the comfort and experience our hospitality once again, and check out the brand new rooms!

The new rooms retain the lovely elegance of the hotel itself while still providing the modern look, feel and conveniences that guests expect these days.

We took over the operation of the hotel in July and have had a wonderful time working with the employees to train and instill a hospitality heart into each staff member.

Thank you so very much for recognizing that our staff is kind, friendly, down to earth and helpful. I will make sure and share your kind words with our amazing crew. It is very uplifting to us all.

Please come back and see us the next time you are in Douglas. We would love to welcome you back!

Tom Rollins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
Copper Queen Hotel
Motel 6 Douglas
Motel 6 Douglas
#5 of 5 in Douglas
The Gardens At Mile High Ranch

Been to Gadsden Hotel? Share your experiences!