“Substandard room and also overcharged”

Knights Inn Gila Bend
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Gila Bend
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Substandard room and also overcharged”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My reservation was in the computer when I arrived. Handed my license to the clerk. She had me sign the room contract, then the charge form. The only information given was the location of the room. I asked about the breakfast hours before leaving the desk. When I went out for a walk later I asked about the Wifi codes. She gave me a code and put it into the router. When I returned from the walk she was asleep in front of the TV.
The only information in the room was a torn and rolled piece of paper scotch taped to the door about security. No TV channel guide, no phone dialing instructions, Wifi information or anything else. Room had a small frig and a microwave; both worked. There was no coffee maker, hairdryer, kleenex, or coat hangers. The table lamp light was burned out, the exhaust fan made a terrible nose, the dead bolt lock worked only with difficulty, there was no sink stopper, the drain lever in the tub didn't work. Lever up or lever down, the drain stayed wide open.
There is a small plug in electric heater on the wall above the AC that was irritating as it kept cycling on and off. I tried turning it off to sleep but there was no blanket on the bed (or in the room) and the sheet and bedspread were not enough to stay warm. The bed is firm and springy. It might be alright if only one person were sleeping in it. No problems with bed bugs.
The glazed surfaces in the bathroom were clean, but the other surfaces were well spattered and soiled. I surprised and killed two juicy roaches at 2am.
Breakfast of decent coffee, really dilute orange juice and huge 600 calorie muffins. I asked for a receipt, as none was offered. Comparing the receipt to my reservation form later I see I was charge the room tax twice. The companies reservation sight lists the "quoted room rate" before taxes and the "confirmed room rate" after taxes. The charge slip usually matches the latter to the penny. The desk clerk obviously took the after tax amount off the reservation computer and added the taxes to it again. Maybe she did too much celebrating the night before (New Year's Eve).
Given the marque advertisement of weekly and monthly rates, the pool table in the lobby, and the various rusting charcoal grills around the property, this is mostly a establishment for transient worker lodging. On this holiday weekend I counted only five rooms occupied. The condition of the place ranges from well worn to beat up. Although the rooms are not uninhabitable, I suggest staying somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SkinnyDDS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I have stayed in cleaner places in third world countries, all I can say is I hope that I am able to kill any bedbugs that may have stowed away in my luggage.

Room Tip: Sleep in a tent
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Gila Bend hotels

Reviewed 14 December 2011

I have no idea who wrote any of the positive comments on this hotel, but I can only suspect it was the hotel staff trying to make this place sound better. I stayed here with a group of over 80 people and after only one night (of a 6 night stay), every last one of us checked out.

Checked in on 12 Dec 2011. First impression of this hotel was awful. Found multiple doors that had been kicked in and were no longer secure by any means, beer caps in the nightstand drawer, fingernail clippings and hair all over the room, and the list goes on. I stayed in Room 210 and the door to my room was missing a lock, and to top it all off, we found bed bugs in SEVERAL rooms. Not just one bug, but many. This place has the gall to charge $79 a night (and that's the military rate!) for accommodations that are the worst I've ever seen. I literally slept inside my sleeping bag because I couldn't bring myself to touch the bed. Learn from our mistake and stay away from this dive. Pitch a tent or sleep in the car if you have to, you'll thank me later.

• Stayed December 2011
SameerMehta, Manager at Knights Inn Gila Bend, responded to this review, 29 December 2011
We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better. You will be happy to know that, as a result of guest feedback like yours, we have implemented the following changes:

• The infected rooms were already treated for Bed Bugs on December 14, 2011, the day after your departure.
• Upon recommendations by the pest control company we have changed the beds and installed new carpet.
• A new door has already been ordered for scheduled replacement in the next week.
• A training procedure was put in place for house keeping; improving cleanliness in all the rooms.
Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that day, and for that I sincerely apologize. I have reviewed your feedback in detail and made necessary changes to improve the standard of our hotel. I assure you that all the reviews posted are genuine and not posted by our staff members. ” –

Senior Hotel Manager.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I was looking for a clean, decently priced, peaceful room away from the railway tracks on my business trip to Gila Bend and I found one at Knitghts Inn. I have to say I was not expecting much since the hotel from the outside looked run down when I pulled in but I was impressed by the spacious and updated rooms and the cleanliness at this place. Also to my surprise the staff was very gracious and polite.

All in all a good experience and a true example of the saying " Dont judge a book by its cover".

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Wellton, Arizona
Reviewed 9 November 2011

At $80 this was way overpriced. It was a $21.99 per night room. Bugs, filth, crud. Stay away from here. Was given the "special" First Solar rate for working near the area. Was totally ripped off! I should of demanded my money back. Oh well, you can always do something once.......

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Had a business trip for the Solana power plant near Gila Bend and needed a hotel to stay for couple of nights, saw this hotel on the way and decided to stay. I must say I was quite surprised by the friendly staff and also the rooms of the hotel Yes, I will agree with the previous reviewer that the hotel does look old / rundown from the outside, but the rooms were nice spacious and clean from the inside. Room was well maintained and had a peaceful sleep through the night, thats all I wanted after a hard day at work. Would surely stay here again since I have many more business trips coming along in the area.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Ontario
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Room was a good size, clean but bad workmanship and poorly maintained. It is a very old motel so don't expect much. Did have fridge and microwave.
Breakfast was only coffee, juice and packaged muffins. Did find a reasonable restaurant at Best Western down the road.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple