“Breakfast was awesome!”

JP Pancake
Ranked #98 of 425 Restaurants in Gilbert
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We walked in IHOP down the street and it was horrible. So we checked this place out and was very happy with the service (friendly), the food (delish!) and the price. As a single mom, I'd be back and recommend it to others!

There are newer reviews for JP Pancake

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was very surprised by JP Pancake. I have driven by this countless times and never thought of eating here. We'll, to my surprise the food is very good. The decor is very basic. If the decor was better this would be considered a high end breakfast/lunch establishment. The prices are great. The menu selection is great. There is a lot of variety. The server I had was extremely entertaining and humorous. I will definitely return.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

At this restaurant you can get an oven baked pancake German style. They come from the oven piping hoy with various topping available. When it arrives at your table it will be 2" thick and then settle down. Don't take a bite before it cools down as you will burn your mouth it is so hot from the oven. Great taste and one of a kind pancakes.

1  Thank Ray M
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Read this carefully. THE PANCAKES are the best you'll ever eat whether they are the traditional griddle type or the baked ones. The fried potatoes have a great seasoning to them and the bacon is thick and crispy. I can't talk about the omelette's because I don't eat eggs. The staff at this location is very friendly and attentive to their guests. The Scottsdale location I am sorry to say has a kitchen staff that doesn't like their jobs or their location and it shows every day. If you look at the Scottsdale locations reviews you will see some fairly negative remarks to which I concur. The Gilbert location is a different animal. Better food, better service, better attitudes by all who work there. I frequent this place even though there are two other places very close by. The only negative comment I have for both locations is that the coffee is probably the worst I've ever had and that does tend to dampen the whole breakfast experience a little for me but I am a bit of a coffee snob anyway. If they get a different (better) coffee vendor this place will be unbeatable. There is also some cool art on the walls done by a local artist. Overall it's a warm, cozy place and again, you won't find better pancakes anywhere. Give it a try!

Reviewed 12 November 2012

My wife and I enjoy discovering new local restaurants through Groupon (www.Groupon.com) and were excited to try JP Pancake on her day off. When we arrived there were only a few people in the dining room and the lone waitress invited us to seat ourselves at a rather large booth. When the owner/manager saw that we wanted something smaller he invited us to take a seat at a cozier table for two. I eventually told my wife that I wanted to move because I felt like I was sitting in the kitchen (it was actually a prep area for the wait staff but there was a rather unclean looking stainless steel piece of equipment next our table that didn’t help to work up my appetite).
I’m not usually a pancake kind of person but I wanted to make sure I ordered some since the word was a major part of the name of the restaurant. I was disappointed that they didn’t offer a multigrain choice. It would seem to me that any place that specializes in pancakes would offer something more than a traditional pancake batter. To their credit they do offered countless ways to top their pancakes.
I ordered an oven-baked omelet with pancakes. The pancakes were average as was the omelet. I was surprised that the onions were not sautéed. Thankfully I enjoy red onion so I didn’t mind that they were raw. My wife ordered the Belgian waffle with an egg over-medium and sausage. She was disappointed that the waffle was “leathery” which indicated that it wasn’t fresh to order (she commented that she’s had better waffles at a Choice Hotel complimentary breakfast bar.) Her egg was under cooked which caused her to ask for a second plate (since she has boundary issues with cross contaminating her food – specifically egg yolks and syrups). Thankfully, she enjoyed the sausage.
When we paid the bill the owner/manager (I assume it was the manager because I could not imagine that the owner would wear flip flops in and out of the kitchen…that was a bit distracting) approached me to inform me that they charge $1 for credit card charges under $10 (my bill came to $8 after the Groupon was applied). I never carry cash, and unfortunately my wife didn’t have any on here. The manager’s body language seemed to suggest that we could run across the parking lot and pull out cash at the bank’s ATM thereby avoiding the charge (but in my case I would have accrued an even greater foreign ATM fee) so I just paid the extra dollar. I have to admit that it’s been a long time since I came across a minimum charge fee…anywhere.
Overall, the food was no better than average and JP Pancake did nothing to set itself apart from Denny’s. While I wish them luck in the future I think I’ll pass on their Groupon the next time it comes up.