“Good food, reasonably priced”
Review of Black Bear Diner

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #12 of 561 Restaurants in Glendale
Cuisines: American
Los Angeles, California
“Good food, reasonably priced”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stopped here for Breakfast. There was a short wait and then we ordered. Plenty of menu choices. We ordered eggs, biscuits & gravy, hash browns and fruit. All of the food came out fairly quickly and the service was excellent. Our drinks were refilled before we even had a chance to finish them. The good was good (not the best ever, but definitely yummy!). We arrived on a Sunday, before the rush and we off to head to our next destination quickly.

• Visited December 2013

Glendale, Arizona
“Christmas Party”
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

We reserved the party room for 22 and we had a wonderful meal. Staff accommodated our wishes, helped us decorate, brought drinks and meals quickly. I had salad, tri tips and veggies. Meat was flavorful and tender, veggies still crunchy not soggy. Perfect ending was their lava cake, and several friends helped me eat it! I cannot recommend the BB D enough for your next gathering!

New Jersey shore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, reasonable price”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Visited my son in Phoenix. We were looking for a place to eat, and he mentioned he had heard of the Black Bear Diner. We tried it -- and liked it so well we ate there three times during our six-day stay.

The food is delicious and pretty healthy, the prices are very fair, and the service is cheerful and effective. Among the things we ordered a second time were the trout, the soup-and-sandwich lunch, and the grilled veggies.

Visited June 2013
Glendale, Arizona
“Didn't want to BBQ in 110 degree heat”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We (wife and I) live in the Phoenix area of Arizona. We had several offers to attend BBQs but, with the outside temps over 110 degrees we decided to buy an on-line coupon and drive (our A/C on high) to the Black Bear Restaurant, located on Bell Road and around 61st. Ave.. If you're going out for a meal that is unique.......forget it !!! Hey, there are chain sawed bears in front of the place. Any person who goes into this restaurant thinking other than "Comfort Food" really isn't thinking very clearly. It even says "Comfort Food" on the menu. That said, we ordered our favorite meal of chicken fried steak. We got a choice of salad or soup (I got salad and the wife got soup) we ate half and exchanged without anyone batting an eye at us. Like I said it's a place of comfort food. The salad was fresh and the soup homemade and there was way too much to eat. Then came the chicken fried steak. It's a wonder the girl could carry two orders. The food was good but basic, as one might expect. The place was clean. The help was more than friendly and we took home two complete meals for later. Look, it wasn't the greatest restaurant we'd ever been to but, for what they do, it was great. If you are really wanting to get a lot of good ol' American comfort food for not much money then, this is the place for you. Think of it as the next step up from a good coffee shop. Walk in, be greeted and treated well, eat until you can't eat anymore, pay at the counter, leave with some food for later. Yes, there are those who would not think of the place as a good restaurant. Those are the people who would complain if they won the lottery and saw that the wrappers on the money were dirty. It is what it is and should be evaluated that way. Ron.

• Visited July 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Simple But Tasty”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I recently tried this chain for the first time after years of avoidance. I figured it was just like Denny's or IHOP. I got a coupon and that is what prompted me to visit. And, I was right it is a typical diner (if I want this type of experience I usually go to Old Country Buffet and I get a better deal). Nothing fancy, just a simple place to dine.
It was a Tuesday evening and it wasn't busy. The waitress was prompt and very courteous. I was hungry and ordered a ribeye steak dinner with baked potato, vegetables, and salad.
Well, I was very surprised from the tasty flavor of the whole meal. It did not disappoint like other places that seem to not to know how to prepare even a simple steak dinner.
Needless, to say I gave five stars just for not torturing the food. The place would not get that for decor-but, I came for the food anyway.

• Visited July 2013