“Excellent Egg Rolls”

Ah-so
Ranked #177 of 593 Restaurants in Glendale
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The egg rolls were great. Had steak and shrimp for dinner, which was quite good. We ate in the bar, which was nice and quiet. The soup was just average.

1  Thank EricS122

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

My family has always loved Ah-So, and this is by far our favorite location. It's a little pricey, so we go here for special events. The food is good, and prepared in front of you in a rather entertaining way. Everyone here is incredibly friendly and considerate. Don't forget to stop and say hello to all the fish and turtles in the koi pond!

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Really marginal experience at a very high price. My girlfriend and I went in for dinner. My first visit, she has been there before. The place was so dark at dinner time, my eyes had difficulty adjusting. When the brought the menu, it was black and covered from top to bottom and edge to edge with a huge number of choices in extremely small print. Between the size of the print and the black menus, there is no way someone without perfect eyesight could read the selections. When I asked if they had the menu in a different format or a flashlight, the waitress did offer to read the menu to me. It would have taken her 20 minutes, so I declined and my girlfriend just ordered what she always gets to be split between us.

Appetizer -- Tempura vegetables -- lightly breaded veggies. 2 onion rings, 2 bell pepper rings, 2 small mushrooms, 2 slices of sweet potato. Breading had good flavor, veggies were all bland and mushy. No flavor except for the breading and the dipping sauce.

California roll -- basic California roll. It was ok, but nothing different than the same item at any restaurant.

Entree -- Steak and Shrimp, medium rare. Small pieces of overcooked, tough, flavorless steak grilled to well done temperature. No pink inside at all. Shrimp, okay for grilled shrimp, but that is one of those foods that is really hard to ruin. Lots of garnish and a huge mound of more rice. Almost $30 dollars for a plate of rice and overcooked steak cubes. Grilled veggies on the plate were also acceptable.

2 Glasses of water.

1 appetizer, 1 California roll, 1 entree -- $44.73 plus tip.

Because I was being generous, I over tipped. The server was acceptable. Should have found a way to find a flashlight or other menu format. As I found out later, they do have a carry out menu that is printed in a much more legible fashion that she could have offered me when I asked about different formats. She was prompt with service and seemed friendly enough. However, after returning to our table halfway through the meal and asking how the food was, I said in a disappointed tone, "eh, I guess it is ok." Apparently, that is good enough for them. She walked away and came back later to box up the remaining food. With a response like that, a good server would have inquired further or gotten a manager involved. After seeing we did not finish much of our meal, rather than ask again what was wrong, she just boxed it up and gave us our check. Again, extremely small fried veggie platter, 1 California roll, and 1 entree to be split...we only ate about a third of it and she doesn't wonder why!!!!

Perhaps I should have been more outspoken, but normally when you spend that much money, the restaurant is better at trying to ensure satisfaction.

1  Thank Randy R
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

This location is by far the best. I don't know why, but the food seems to be better. If you have the chance, sit at a teppanyaki table, so they make the food in front of you. There is a large koi and turtle pond in the middle. Overall, its a great place to eat.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We were planning to go to a Newer Ah-so which is closer, but after reading reviews and finding out they're not associated, we decided to go to this one. We we'rt disappointed.
Greeted well, seated quickly, and waited on fast. Food was good and plenty of it. Chef was a good cook, but not as entertaining as others we've had. If we hadn't have had others to compare to, he'd have been fine.
Price a little on the high side, so don't go there often.