“Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We were recommended by friend from Nebraska to this restaurant. What a hidden gem of a restaurant tucked in a modest little strip mall. Beautiful Sonoran style food with a staff that buzzed about giving us top notch service in a warm, well decorated restaurant. Our group enjoyed beautifully presented drinks, rich lobster tacos and enchiladas, marvelous green chili burros, and the most delicate desserts. Food was reasonably priced. JSteve and his family oversee all aspects of the business closely and their love of the restaurant shows in everything they do. Wish this was in my neighborhood! See you next time we're in Arizona!

1  Thank LKL

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We tried this place based on reviews and were very pleased.
The salsa and chips were great, as were all the meals we got.
My wife got the seafood enchiladas--they were fabulous.
The owner is very customer-oriented and makes you feel right at home.
Based on our first visit, we intend to return before going back home.
This place is well worth a try-you will not regret it.

1  Thank Tim S
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We ate here for the first time, and surprised to see seafood on the menu. My wife had the lobster enchilada which she enjoyed, and I had the spicy green chili burro, which was moderately hot. The restaurant is comfortably set up, the service good. and the food enjoyable.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I don't think you could expect more than what you get here. Service is friendly and fast. The food is cheap around $12.50 a plate and tastes great. Plus its got some unique dishes like lobster enchiladas made with real lobster meat. Loved it we really did. Give it a try or lose out!

1  Thank janiemygirl
Reviewed 7 January 2014

When in Phoenix, eat like the natives, right?

On a otherwise quiet evening while in Phoenix I decided I should get authentic non-touristy Mexican food. I mean after all how often does someone from the NE get a chance to indulge in this type of fair? And no, Chipotle doesn't count! The answer... not too often and quite frankly I was tired of all the typical tex-mex back home.

Well lucky for me I have a friend who knew just where to take me. It is a bit off the beaten path-- far away from touristy Scottsdale, downtown or the Camelback corridor, but it's a true hidden gem. Tucked away a few miles from I-17, in a rather pedestrian looking strip mall, on a non-descript residential corner is Don Rubens.

It was sleepy outside but inside it was packed with locals, always a good sign. Typical Latin American themed décor, with ample tables and booths awaited us. The menu featured authentic Mexican cuisine ranging from burritos, enchiladas, tostadas, tacos, chimichangas and a few interesting specials. As I looked around the fairly large dining area the entrees looked good and folks were smiling... things were looking good. Next feather in Don Rubens cap was the salsa... spot on! thick chunks of tomato onion cilantro and had a nice kick, plus endless warm chips for dipping!

The service was very attentive and pleasant. We ordered the Pollo Poco (a chicken chimichanga with cream cheese and jalapeno sauce) as well as a carne asada dinner. Both were delicious. The chimi was flavorful with just the right amount of heat and cooling tang from the sauce. the carne was perfectly cooked, tender, and the tomatillo relish really made this dish a knockout.

Judging by the satisfied clientele (me included) you can't go wrong giving this place. This was far and away one of the most consistent restaurant experiences I have had in a long time. Just goes to show that knowing a local is better than any guidebook! Bottom line-- give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

5  Thank PhillyTravel_man