“Gem in Glendale”

Ranked #1 of 2 Glendale B&B and Inns
Tucson
“Gem in Glendale”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The property and the staff were just lovely. Our room was big and comfortable, while at the same time old-timey. The location is terrific for walking around Old Town. My breakfast was good, hers wasn't as interesting. I would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The Gas Light is a great property in old town Glendale, I was looking for a hotel near the Fiesta Bowl and found the Gas Light, the rooms are plentiful, clean and very well maintained. The service is amazing and breakfast as you can imagine for a bed and breakfast was simply divine. Next door to the hotel is a very fine wine bar, possibly the best in the area, I would strongly recommend this hotel, I will absolutely be staying again when I return to see the Cardinals.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Geoff H
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have gone in to check out this Inn a few times on my many journeys to Old Towne Glendale over the years, but was excited to actually stay here and get the feel of the place.

The “Lobby” for the Inn is off the alley in the rear of the property where they have a courtyard and fountain. Immediately, we were greeted by Terry, who manning the desk. Terry checked us in quickly, gave us a tour of the property and showed us to our room. The Inn has two floors. The bottom has the lobby, breakfast area, an art gallery, a few guest rooms, and the OTG Wine & Beer Bar. The upstairs has the remainder of the guest rooms, plus a roof top terrace with a view over the rear downstairs courtyard and the Haus Murphy’s German restaurant and alley. The hotel smelled of gourmet coffee and antique woods.

The Inn was decorated for the holidays and included a wide variety of antique furnishings and was very clean. We stayed in the Statesman room, which was upstairs and it was very spacious and clean. The bed was new modern mattress and box spring and very comfortable. The furnishings were an antique wardrobe, writing desk, two chairs and a Queen Ann style couch. Although there was no phone, we did have a flat screen TV. The bathroom had modern amenities, shower/tub combo, blow dryer, slippers, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and very plush towels.

We enjoyed the location of the hotel it was walking distance to park, boutiques, antique shops and all of my favorite restaurants. Parking was easy as there is a city lot just behind them for free, or you can get a parking pass and use it on any of the open spaces downtown. We went out to dinner, and then strolled the light displays. At the end of the evening we enjoyed going back to the hotel and having a night cap at the Inn's very cozy OTG Wine & Beer Bar. (I'll review that separately).

We then went upstairs and slept like babies the bed was so comfortable, the temperature was perfect and it was so quiet. The next morning we were awakened by the smell of gourmet coffee brewing downstairs. We went down to be greeted and given our coffee and menu of the breakfast items to pick from. They had yogurt parfait, Egg, Cheese, Ham Breakfast Sandwiches, Oatmeal, Waffles, etc. They were cooked to order fresh and very quickly. Our eggs were cooked perfectly (I'm really picky about not overcooking them) and very fluffy and delicious.
Now I am going to add something odd here. While sitting eating my breakfast my can of diet coke decided to move over 4 inches on it's own accord. My husband even saw it! I asked if there were a ghost here...no one could confirm or deny. I tried to jiggle the table...to make it "slide" added a bit of water, nope. I am not a ghost chaser....but hmmm? I wasn't scared, just curious.

We went back to pack, but that comfortable bed was so soft we took a nap before checking out. We were sad to say goodbye everyone was so warm and friendly.

Perfect was to start our day before the going antique store browsing!

Great base camp for the Cardinals Games, Coyotes, Baseball, etc.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves bed and breakfast boutique hotels and wants to stay in walking distance to all the gourmet restaurants, antique shops, and historic Caitlin Court Boutiques. Very romantic.

Room Tip: There are rooms on two levels, the bottom may be a bit noisier because they are off the main lobby b...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
azgrl
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a must if you want to hit Glendale Glitters. It's in the heart of it with a friendly staff, wonderful rooms and yummy food. The wine bar attached to it is super cute with a fun list of wines and beer not very large but worth a look. Staff can make or break a place and this friendly group makes me want to book again.

Room Tip: They all looked good but I'd opt for the second floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Gaslight Inn was very convenient for my trip to Phoenix. It is an attractive location right in the heart of Old Downtown Glendale. You enter off the alley into a large undescriptive lobby area for check in. It is an odd set up, but guess it works. Once checked in, the parking is easy, across the alley with a pass, very convenient. The front room, where breakfast is served is lovely with beautiful antiques, tin ceilings, exposed pipes and all decked out for Christmas during my visit. Next to that room is the wine bar, which was very busy when I was there on a Saturday night, but the bartender kept up, so no complaints there. My room, off that back lobby, was very nice. The bed was comfy, antique furniture was charming, linens were nice and the room was clean. The bathroom didn’t have the charm, but was clean and functional. Breakfast had three options and was made to order, very nice. The staff was very friendly and accommodating which made the visit very pleasant. There were some minor cons, my room although lovely, was right off the lobby and on the other side of my room was the outdoor patio. It was a bit noisy at times. The other minor item, all that lovely charming exposed pipes in the breakfast room… well sometimes you hear what they are actually used for. Neither one of these things would stop me from staying there again, although I would request a different room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Lakeside, California
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just stayed at the Gaslight Inn for the 4th or 5th time and it just gets better. Your first look at the Inn may not convince you, but stay and you'll be glad you did. The rooms are wonderful, the linens, towels, pillows, towels, really all the little touches are top quality. The best treasure is Teresa who takes such good care of you and cooks up an amazing full breakfast for you each morning. You will get so much more for your money here than any of the chain hotels, and the rates are super reasonable. There is also a wine and beer bar in the hotel and great restaurants all around in walking distance there.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is a great B & B in the heart of Glendale. My wife, son and I really enjoyed our stay this October. Teresa, the inn keeper, is a great cook and hostess. The Gas Light is next door to an excellent German restaurant that knows how to celebrate Oktoberfest. Downtown has many excellent vendors that are easily accessible due to the Gas Light's location. Grand Ave is close so guests also have a straight shot to downtown Phoenix, Cardinals Stadium and Sun City. The room we stayed in was spacious and had everything we needed. We will return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family