“Cant wait to go there again!”

Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I love it! its a beautiful hotel, very comfortable and near jobiing.com arena near an outlet mall and an entertainment district, the front desk people where so nice I don't hava nothing bad to say about the hote.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Marisolpalmerin

Thanks again for your recent stay with us. We appreciate all your positive feedback and I will definitely share this with all of our departments.

Thanks again!

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My Husband & I stayed here in July, 2013 for a conference. I decided to splurge on a suite because I thought I might be spending extra time in the room while my Husband was at the conference. We walked in to the most beautiful hotel room we ever stayed at. The room had a living room, bedroom and two beautiful bathrooms. The master bath was gorgeous with a whirlpool soaker tub and a separate shower that could probably fit ten people. The Housekeeping service was terrific too! The bartenders were great. The only thing we weren't crazy about was the food and service in the restaurant. Service was slow and the food was just average. There are so many great restaurants withing walking distance of this hotel, it doesn't really matter. We would love to go back there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

EileenDIllinois

Thank you so much for your response in regards to your stay in July! We are glad that you had a chance to experience everything the hotel has to offer as well as the area surroundings. I will definitely share your feedback with our culinary staff in regards to your meals at the hotel, as this will only help make us better.

Thanks again, and come see us soon!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I've stayed here several times always in the suite with the jetted tub for two. The rooms are big, beds comfortable and service excellent. I highly recommend a stay here! Plenty of places to eat within walking distance, very close to the football and hockey stadiums.

Room Tip: Step up and get the room with the tub for two!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Fighterandlover

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to your stay on TripAdvisor! We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope you will come stay with us soon. Safe Travels!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance Glendale for a conference and experienced problems from the beginning. The hotel is beautiful, but the customer service of the hotel employees was so disappointing and offensive that I left with no desire to ever set foot in the hotel again.

My stay was in late August 2013 and was scheduled because I was attending a conference for work. The drama started when I called the 1-800 Marriott number to confirm my reservation and was told that only one of my two reserved rooms was actually confirmed. I requested that they review the recording of my original call since "calls may be recorded for quality assurance" but I was told that was simply untrue and they could not possibly record calls.

It was my word against theirs that I booked two rooms and, 45 minutes later, the customer service rep compromised with me and booked a second room for me at DOUBLE the original rate and indicated that she would send a message to directly to the hotel to ask them to honor the conference rate at which my rooms were both originally booked. I was released from the call with the promise of an answer from the actual hotel management within 5 business days.

To my surprise, I received a personal email from the Assistant Front Office Manager, Lisa, the very next business day in which she assured me that my reservation was confirmed for both rooms at the conference rate. I was relieved and eager to visit the hotel!

Upon arrival, I was informed that I had a No-Show fee for a THIRD ROOM. When I indicated that I only booked 2 rooms, I was told that I was wrong. I relayed the history of my reservation issues, and the customer service associate proceeded to check me in to my 2 rooms. Because only half of my party was present, a stapled chunk of scrap paper was shoved in front of me, and I was directed to write down everyone's name in my party. I asked why, and was informed that, in the event phone calls were received, they needed to know names.

Given the keys, I went up to the rooms and found them to be quite lovely. They were clean, spacious, and even contained a mini fridge. The 2 rooms were on opposite sides of the hallway and on opposite ends of the hotel but on the same floor. One room had a large window which framed the University of Phoenix football stadium. The other room had a balcony with a view of Westgate City Center...well, it's parking lot.

The rest of my party arrived and we enjoyed our accommodations for the first of our 3-night stay. On night two, however, I received an alert from my bank indicating that I was overdrawn in my checking account. I looked up my account and discovered that the Renaissance Glendale authorized my card for nearly $400 three times! I promptly called down to the front desk and was assured that there was only one charge in that amount, not 3, and the associate offered to call my bank to straighten it out for me. He promised to call me back with resolution right away.

Hours later, I hadn't heard back, so another member of my party called down to the front desk to inquire. She was told, quite rudely, that they were unable to help unless my full debit card number was provided over the phone. Since I had nearly $1200 in charges taken from my checking account already, I was unwilling to provide my card number again...especially over the phone.

The next day, I approached the front desk to inquire about the charges in person. The same associate from the night before greeted me curtly and informed me that she is the one my colleague spoke to the night before. The associate, Diana, looked up my account in their computer system and informed me that, in addition to the 3 $400 charges, I was also the recipient of an ADDITIONAL authorization directly from my checking account for $147 for a No-Show cancellation. I referred back to the email I received from Lisa, the Assistant Manager, and I asked to speak directly with her.

Diana turned on her heel and went back to retrieve Lisa. They returned together and I reminded Lisa of the email she sent me regarding my 2 room reservation. I handed her my phone with the email pulled up so that she could refresh her memory. While she read her own words, Diana spat an explanation to me of why I was wrong and she was right. I tried to cut in but she continued to speak over me. In an admittedly not-so-polite tone, I informed her that I was no longer in need of her assistance and that I would address my concerns directly with her supervisor...who was still reading her email to me and who did absolutely nothing to intervene as her employee verbally accosted me.

Diana left and the Assistant Manager began typing furiously into the computer system. She told me that, despite what Diana said, I was not charged for a 3rd room. She tried to determine the reason for triple charges on my card and offered to call my bank directly to clear everything up. I provided my credit card number to her and she called my bank in front of me.

When she ended the call, she relayed that the charges could only be reversed between 8am and 5pm, but assured me that she would fax a letter on letterhead to my bank to clear up the inappropriate charges. She retreated to her office to retrieve her copy of the email I sent her (which left me with the impression that she thought the copy of the email she read on my phone was somehow different than the copy she had). She returned with a printed copy of the 1-800 Marriott rep's email to her asking for them to honor the conference rate and her response to me confirming 2 rooms at the conference rate. She then argued with me about the fact that she added a second room to my reservation and didn't know that the 1-800 Marriott customer service rep booked a second room for me and asked her to honor the conference rate for it. It wasn't until I literally pointed to the words in the email printout that she acknowledged what I was saying was valid.

With no apology in sight, she told me she would fax the letter to my bank and have everything cleared up in the morning.

The next morning (check-out day), I checked my bank account before walking down to the front desk. Good news! The 3 $400 charges were gone. Bad news! They were replaced with one $1200 charge. Oh, and the $147 charge was gone and was replaced with a $135 charge.

I went to the desk, found Lisa, showed her my bank info, and she seemed very confused. She was unapologetic, but confused. She assured me that the letter was sent to my bank and said it would all be cleared up by the time I got home later that afternoon.

I checked out and received my final bill. Two rooms - 3 nights in each room - $255 total for each room for a total of $511. Not $1200 plus $135. Despite the clear, final total, my bank account did not match. It was debited by nearly $1350, not the $500 I ACTUALLY owed.

I never received an apology.

I left the Renaissance Glendale and headed home. Well, I headed to my bank to discuss these charges with them first. Before arriving at the bank, I received an email from Renee in Accounts Receivable indicating that she processed my refund for $142.81. Renee apologized for any inconvenience this caused me. An apology! Thank you, Accounts Receivable! However, there were so many charges on my account at that point that I have no idea what the refund was for. By my calculation, they owed me back a lot more than $142.81 with the charges that were debited from my bank account.

At my bank, the banker was unable to find anything on my account regarding the aforementioned refund or anything other than the $1200 charge and the $135 charge. I discussed my rights regarding fraud with my banker and am pursuing the resolutions that are available to me.

The Renaissance Glendale is a nice hotel. The rooms are beautiful. The customer service and billing practices are, frankly, so despicable, that I cannot, in good conscious, recommend this hotel to anyone. What they offer in facilities and amenities is so overshadowed by their lack of respect or care for their customers, that I feel unethical even giving a 1/5 rating.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Amanda B,

I'm very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay here at the hotel. I will definitely talk to the appropriate managers to see why we fell short and hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Thank you.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Read lots of great reviews about this hotel, so picked it. Bought a couple of tickets to the cardinal game and away we went. I have stayed at other Renaissance hotels so had a good idea that it would be quality.

We pulled in Friday afternoon parked in the convenient parking structure adjacent to the hotel. Walked in to a spacious well cared for lobby. Nice bar and restaurant on the first floor adjacent to the spa. The front desk girls were more than helpful. Had us checked in in record time and directed us to the ninth floor.

Our room had a wonderful view of stadium, so close it looked like you could jump across to it. Fluffy nice bed, a fridge. The room was super clean, nicer than other Renaissance hotels we have stayed at.

We shot down to the pool, a nice sized pool, with a wonderful little bar. The bar tender, Meloni was terrific, made some delicious margaritas and Malibu & pineapple drinks. The pool was pretty empty, so we pretty much had it to ourselves.

Up to the room to clean up and off to the entertainment complex next door to the hotel. We dined at jimmy buffets place. Fun time great booze and easily walking distance from hotel.

Next morning we head down to the pool for the per-game party. We got there early so we got a couple of the lounge chairs. Mel was working, so let the booze flow. The pool quickly filled up and some guy claiming to be a DJ showed up. He hooked up his computer and began playing some kind of rap music. This DJ was clearly out of place, more of a low end Dj. But, the pool party was great, great guests and super good employees.

Off to the game with the crowd from the hotel.

I will absolutely be coming back to this hotel. We talked all the way home to So Cal about how nice it is.

Room Tip: Get an upper level room facing the stadium.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Mike M,

Thank you so much for your nice comments in regards to your stay for a football game. We will definitely let all of our staff know about the great experiences you had from all the departments. I will definitely look into the DJ for future games...we definitely need to create more of an upbeat atmosphere!!!

Thanks again!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

The Renaissance Glendale Hotel & Spa is located in Glendale Arizona, about 15 minutes slightly northwest of Phoenix.

The hotel is located next to Jobing.com Arena, home of the Phoenix Coyotes, and is within walking distance of University of Phoenix Stadium. Also located next to the hotel is the Westgate Entertainment District, and across the street are the TangerOutlets.

The hotel is very centrally located if one is interested in sporting events or concerts, shopping, entertainment and dining.

Upon entering the hotel, the lobby is open and spacious. The front desk area is situated in a semi-circular pattern.

The Front Desk Agent was friendly, and explained most Marriott Platinum Premier benefits. I was informed that the Lounge was closed on the weekends, so I would have access to the Breakfast Buffet. Although the voucher indicated that it was good for a Continental Breakfast for two, I was ensured that it was good the entire buffet and omelet station.

I was upgraded to a King Corner Suite, which was a nice surprise. Unfortunately it was on the second floor and views were less than ideal, as the view from the bedroom was the roof and wall, while the view from the living room was of the roof and part of the entertainment complex.

There is also a microwave oven, refrigerator, wet bar area and coffee maker.

There is a door that separates the living room from the bedroom, which is great for privacy and noise insulation.

The bathroom is huge with a Jacuzzi tub, separate shower and toilet. There is only a single sink with limited counter space which is a slight drawback. From the Jacuzzi tub, you can have a view into the bedroom or the option of closing the sliding door. Water pressure and temperature were both excellent.

The bedroom is also very spacious and has a large dresser, another desk and lounge chair. The bed and pillows are very comfortable.

As previously mentioned, the views from the room were less than desirable.

Wifi is fast and reliable.

There is only one thermostat in the room, which doesn’t allow the entire room to cool down quickly. Also, if you like your room cool, especially during the summer, then you will be slightly disappointed.

Service was friendly overall. I was given a late check-out of 2 PM even though there was a football game on the day of check-out. There is a $10 parking charge for self-parking, which is a little high considering the hotel has a suburban location. The Front Desk Agent comped parking at check-out; don’t know if that is the normal practice for Platinum members.

Given the entertainment, shopping and dining choices all within walking distance, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

TheMysteryTraveler,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel during your stay.. We appreciate all the feedback and will let all the department managers know so they can tell their staff. We hope that you come back to visit again soon!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Stayed here while in the Phoenix area last week. The staff is excellent. I was able to check in early for a 2 queen bed suite on the 7th floor. The room was clean the beds really comfortable and the service outstanding. The concierge suite on the 10th floor for platinum rewards members was excellent. The food at the weekend buffet was beyond outstanding. The fitness facilities were great and the pool was so comfortable and relaxing.
The location is surrounded by great restaurants, we enjoyed the Yard House! We even got to enjoy the Ariz. Cardinals training camp at the stadium.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
RenGlenAZ, Manager at Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Martha H

Thank you for your kind words about your stay with us. I will definitely pass this on to all our associates and we hope that you will come back and stay with us soon.

Safe Travels!